Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y price reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure I read on this forum, and it might have been a Model 3, but the poster included a picture of the check Tesla sent him to compensate him for the price drop.

Tesla will always shuffle pricing so get used to it.
I vaguely remember pre-ordering back in March 2019.
Tesla soon after lowered price by 2k.
Those who ordered earlier would remember this.
I also ordered FSD back then for 6k
We can't predict price changes but has it really changed.
Tesla is just moving money around.
Take a little off car add a little to Software...
Actually quite smart
I agrees to my price so thats that
Choices right now ...Car please and thanks

All I had to do was update the design (kept the same options) and the new pricing was reflected for my reservation.

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question, but I'm trying to do what you did to get the same outcome you did, and I must be missing something... how do I do that?

I placed my order on Friday afternoon.
I added all my information in on Saturday (yesterday) afternoon (Delivery Location, Registration, Trade-In, and Payment Method).
I had an engadget story pop up in my Google News Feed Saturday night about a $3,000 price drop.
Because everything I picked is still available (AWD LR with FSD; no special wheels), and I'm less than 48 hours into starting my order, I'll cancel this in a heartbeat (and loss $100 and "my place in line") in order to save $3000 and "move back in line by 48 hours"... but obvo it would be more ideal if they'd just let me keep the $100 and my place in line and have my order reflect today's cost....

Hope this info helps someone else. We placed an order last week:
  • Performance
  • No PUP
  • Induction wheels
  • Hitch
  • Blue
  • FSD
I asked the DC about getting the $1k difference. They said no and I could either keep as is or reorder.

Keeping our order as is since it’s a bit of a unicorn now.

I have a similar build and went through the site rebuilding my car.
  • Black Exterior
  • Performance
  • No PUP
  • Induction wheels
  • Hitch
  • White Interior
  • FSD
  1. Price for vehicle is down $1k
  2. Price for FSD is up $1k
  3. Performance WITHOUT PuP Unavailable
I am definitely not changing my order since the build is no longer available. I understand why they did it, checking the tracker kept here I have the only model with those specs so it’s better from a production standpoint for Performance to only include those things.

I do like the idea that my MY will be somewhat of a that is if I actually get the build I ordered.

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question, but I'm trying to do what you did to get the same outcome you did, and I must be missing something... how do I do that?

I added all my information in on Saturday (yesterday) afternoon (Delivery Location, Registration, Trade-In, and Payment Method).
I had an engadget story pop up in my Google News Feed Saturday night about a $3,000 price drop.
Because everything I picked is still available (AWD LR with FSD; no special wheels), and I'm less than 48 hours into starting my order, I'll cancel this in a heartbeat (and loss $100 and "my place in line") in order to save $3000 and "move back in line by 48 hours"... but obvo it would be more ideal if they'd just let me keep the $100 and my place in line and have my order reflect today's cost....
If you have the ability to edit your design still you can try that and not change anything and save it. Seems to work for some people. Otherwise via chat on the site or email an SA and ask to update your order. As it is not delivered they should update it to the new price.

I went through the edit process on my current order, MY AWD LR, FSD, White, 19" wheels.(11/2019). The price difference wound up be $10.00 less than my original order. Not worth the time to make the change.

I delayed delivery until Sept (was notified of possible delivery in June). I don't need the car until then. With regards to the battery day revelations, anything they announce would probably be incorporated into the MY some time in the future, so I don't see a reason to delay another year or so. My NEXT Tesla after that will have all the new battery improvements, but by then, Tesla will announce the next wave of improvements. Sounds like a computer, the day after you purchase, a better/faster/cheaper model will be released. Not surprising, considering Teslas are computers on wheels!

Yeah, with no manufacture rebates, hidden holdbacks, or dealer discounts, these kinds of price changes with Tesla are to be expected. And it's hardly a new occurrence.

Although with a $10k difference between LR and Perf, I can see more folks opting for the LR Model Y. It's still probably faster than what most folks are trading in anyways. Now, I'm all about "more power." I love fast vehicles. But I'm finding myself seriously considering the LR for savings, longer range, and a better ride. For a daily driver, it is certainly the more practical choice.

Yeah, with no manufacture rebates, hidden holdbacks, or dealer discounts, these kinds of price changes with Tesla are to be expected. And it's hardly a new occurrence.

Although with a $10k difference between LR and Perf, I can see more folks opting for the LR Model Y. It's still probably faster than what most folks are trading in anyways. Now, I'm all about "more power." I love fast vehicles. But I'm finding myself seriously considering the LR for savings, longer range, and a better ride. For a daily driver, it is certainly the more practical choice.

Agreed, I changed to the Performance when I could do it with the 20” wheels since that was effectively a $6k premium and that was basically right at the limit of what it was worth to me. Now, it’s essentially an $8k upgrade (assuming you were going to add the 20” wheels) which is probably too much and I’ll go back to the regular AWD.

Agreed, I changed to the Performance when I could do it with the 20” wheels since that was effectively a $6k premium and that was basically right at the limit of what it was worth to me. Now, it’s essentially an $8k upgrade (assuming you were going to add the 20” wheels) which is probably too much and I’ll go back to the regular AWD.
Technically the difference is 9k, not 8k, assuming Tesla will refuse to drop price by 1k (which is what they are doing so far ). So the cost of performance with inductions is 11k more than cost of LR. PUP costs 10k over LR, stealth with 20" cost 11k over.

I ordered my MY LR with black interior and induction 20" wheels, on June 26, and I'm taking delivery on July 22. I'm surprised how fast it happened and very pleased. I was able to lock in the $7K for FSD, so I'm happy about that. Sure, I could cancel this order, and re-order one at the new price, and ultimately save $2K. To me, though, going through all that isn't worth the aggravation. I'm ready to take delivery and I'll just let it stand.

Probably best. This is the wrong way to think about it.

It was an $6k delta for you before, and (optionally) came with the following hardware upgrades:
- suspension
- 21” rims
- brakes

if you chose to go stealth, you gave up some significant portion of the hardware that actually makes up for that $6k difference. You weren’t making $2k on the inductions, you were losing several thousand on the lost value of the free upgrades.

To be clear: choosing to buy stealth perf before meant you were paying the same price as PUP for lower-cost parts.

Just go in a edit your order, Even if you leave everything the same it should update the price

Probably best. This is the wrong way to think about it.

It was an $6k delta for you before, and (optionally) came with the following hardware upgrades:
- suspension
- 21” rims
- brakes

if you chose to go stealth, you gave up some significant portion of the hardware that actually makes up for that $6k difference. You weren’t making $2k on the inductions, you were losing several thousand on the lost value of the free upgrades.

To be clear: choosing to buy stealth perf before meant you were paying the same price as PUP for lower-cost parts.

Not sure how that is the “wrong” way to think about it, everyone values options differently. I don’t want a lowered suspension or larger wheels that will reduce range so why should that factor in to my decision? If I could have gotten just the brakes and the pedals I would have taken them and that would add a little value. For me (and I presume the majority of people that ordered stealth), the math was simple (and I don’t think that makes them wrong or right, it’s just numbers), I was willing to pay $6k for the basically the same car (with a spoiler) to be faster. The cost for my build now is exactly the same as when I ordered it (perf less by 1k but FSD up by 1k), but I can now save $7k by reordering. Another factor is that I’m feeling that it is becoming more likely they will offer a similar $2k performance upgrade as the model 3 in the future that will split the difference between and get maybe a 4.0s 0-60.

Reactions: secondclaw
I just purchased Model Y at Tesla Westmont in Illinois. I saw price reduction and inquired. I had to cancel order. Then placed new order with same specs and chose Westmont location for delivery. Bank had to redo loan. I got lucky I was reading news on my way here. Saved $3000.
Did you lose your initial order $100 fee? Still a small price to pay to save $3000.

Does anyone know\have confirmation about what will happen to the existing reservations which are yet to take delivery? I've a LRAWD w/FSD, which as LevelHeaded summed up, will be $2K cheaper. If they're not going to honor the new price, it makes sense to cancel and rebook, or just edit (can someone confirm if that works to reflect the new price?) the existing reservation.

Tesla.com shows : "Estimated Delivery: 4-8 weeks". Lol, that sounds better than my current reservation that's pending since Oct'19.

Does anyone know\have confirmation about what will happen to the existing reservations which are yet to take delivery? I've a LRAWD w/FSD, which as LevelHeaded summed up, will be $2K cheaper. If they're not going to honor the new price, it makes sense to cancel and rebook, or just edit (can someone confirm if that works to reflect the new price?) the existing reservation.

Tesla.com shows : "Estimated Delivery: 4-8 weeks". Lol, that sounds better than my current reservation that's pending since Oct'19.

You should be able to edit your order (even if you leave it the same) and should update the price

Reactions: richyrich