Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y price reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, so long as you don’t cancel and start over. That’s what I got. Locked in the $7K FSD as I ordered June 26. Got the reduction from Tesla after using the chat on their site.

Whelp, I was wrong here. I looked today and while the option for the LR AWD, and my upfront payment dropped by $3K, taxes dropped by about $100, and the FSD option went from my $7K to $8K. I’ll try to argue my case tonight but it seems like it’s not going to change. Basically their argument is this is exactly what someone else would pay if they ordered now, and you changed yours by taking the $3K off. I’m going to likely split the savings and take my $2K and get it.

@HAWX12 : Elon tweeted about discontinuing SR Model Y and offering Single Motor LR model soon.
"We have reduced pricing on Model Y [long range] dual motor [and] will offer a LR single motor Y in a few months, which improves affordability, while still keeping the product excellent"
Btw, I'm also in 2 minds about whether to keep the existing single motor LR reservation or go for DM AWD LR, which is just $1990 more.

IMO, tor $1,990 you certainly can't go wrong and if and when you sell, i'd be more desirable I think.

Mine is now showing the updated price with the $3k reduction. they took just 1 day to adjust..hopefully yours should be done fast too

Thx, mine also showed up corrected today, saved $2900 (it looks like the destination fee went up to $1300) After much calling around I've got a delivery date this Friday.on the other side of the state. One tricky thing came up though. We are trading a car in that has an electronic title in Florida. Although Florida DMV says that Florida dealers can transfer electronic titles I was told that Tesla wants a paper title. I called Tesla and verified. Thankfully I was able to get a DMV appt on Thursday to print a paper one.

I ordered after the FSD increase (July 7th). I got the full $3,000 reduction applied via chat. They said it would take effect within 48 hrs, but it showed up a few minutes after the chat. I did however, get a text message a few hours after, asking me to confirm the price change with "I AGREE", but I am not sure how the two are related.
No VIN or delivery date yet.

They adjusted my price but jacked up FSD; thinking of cancelling FSD and purchasing it later, perhaps can save sales tax on it?

I know if I cancelled the car and re-ordered like new, I'd get the $3K off but would be charged $8K for FSD. So I opted to keep the discount with the $8K FSD - still $2K off the overall cost of the vehicle. They don't apply the credit to your financed amount, but reduce the cost of the "Long Range" or "Performance" option - and taxes are lowered as well - so you wind up paying roughly $2K less for your down payment.

I was thinking if some of you aren't too gung ho about the FSD. They should consider waiting for a potential discount next year on the FSD before another price increase. Maybe it will drop to 7k for brief period?

Doubtful. Elon has been clear (and my service center rep confirmed) this will only go up and up as features were added. It started at what, $5K? Now $8K. I see the financial reluctance for not getting FSD, but I got it because I think the whole point of the car was these kinds of things.

Well, I have $6k FSD and chat said any changes would update everything. Because of my 2019 cheaper pricing, total savings would only be $10 for me with everything updated, but I’d like to add tow hitch if it’s a $990 net increase. Of course I’d really like to keep my FSD price but it sounds too good to be true. I also have the 7 seat option which may be a factor and is part of the reason I’m still waiting despite having a day 1 reservation.

I was given an advisor’s email contact but so far no response (no surprise!)
This is the same response I got. I had 7K FSD, and by accepting the cheaper pricing I would have to accept the now 10K cost of FSD. So it negates the reduction of the new MY price (at least in Canada). So it would actually be more expensive for me to accept the new pricing structure...

yes, so long as you don’t cancel and start over. That’s what I got. Locked in the $7K FSD as I ordered June 26. Got the reduction from Tesla after using the chat on their site.

How did you get that? I was told no. Can you confirm this?

Tesla just cut the Model Y price by $3,000. Does anyone know whether those of us with orders in will have to cancel and re-enter to get the new price?
I received a text today saying my model Y was on it’s way so I emailed my contact at Tesla to ask if I could get the lower price. She said because I was already assigned a VIN it would take a day or two but she’d make sure I got the lower price. So hopefully they will honour this - I’ll be sure to post if they don’t!

Doubtful. Elon has been clear (and my service center rep confirmed) this will only go up and up as features were added. It started at what, $5K? Now $8K. I see the financial reluctance for not getting FSD, but I got it because I think the whole point of the car was these kinds of things.

Why doubtful? Tesla has done it before. if i recall they discounted it to $5000 before raising it to 7k. EAP had it discounted to 2k and went up to 4K in 2019, then recently 3k to 5k.

How I would look at it, is if you're financing a good chuck of the vehicle, might want to hold off until you're able to buy FSD fully outright. it's a risk to wait for the discount but you could be saving a great deal if it does drop for a bit, you could also save on interest and possibly taxes. However you could be right, might as well get it now to enjoy all it's available feature.

I have been explicitly told that they will not lower the price on my stealth performance, but they will still make it and deliver it to me for the higher price if I want.

So they are essentially saying that they will honor my original order, but out of spite, they will charge me the higher price for it. It's so important to them to not grandfather me in that they are willing to give me the more expensive wheels, brakes and pedal (that I don't want) PLUS a $1000 discount rather than the less expensive wheels, brakes and pedals that I do want.

And also, taking the full performance will save me an extra $1500 from NY State. So to summarize, I can get the more expensive brakes, wheels and pedal for $2500 less than the cheaper car I actually want.

I would understand if they just stopped making the stealth performance, but this just seems counterproductive.

I have been explicitly told that they will not lower the price on my stealth performance, but they will still make it and deliver it to me for the higher price if I want.

So they are essentially saying that they will honor my original order, but out of spite, they will charge me the higher price for it. It's so important to them to not grandfather me in that they are willing to give me the more expensive wheels, brakes and pedal (that I don't want) PLUS a $1000 discount rather than the less expensive wheels, brakes and pedals that I do want.

And also, taking the full performance will save me an extra $1500 from NY State. So to summarize, I can get the more expensive brakes, wheels and pedal for $2500 less than the cheaper car I actually want.

I would understand if they just stopped making the stealth performance, but this just seems counterproductive.
At least you got something. I was told that my order will get adjusted within 48 hours. It hasn't, and there has been no communication whatsoever from Tesla. I do think the reason they do not honor price reduction for Stealth is to get as many people as possible to cancel the orders. I can't use a PUP, since I need all the ground clearance I can get due to regular flooding in my area, and I don't really want LR. But I have no intention to pay 1K more than PUP for Stealth.

Hey Gary!

Fellow Memphian here, we are about to pull the trigger on TMY. From what I can gather, you haven't taken delivery yet, do you know if you will be able to take delivery in Memphis?

Hi! Nice to hear from another Memphian.

We're still waiting. The Memphis Service Center is close by but doesn't deliver cars. The city is close to the edge of the delivery radius for the Brentwood showroom. We're out east - almost Germantown - and were told we have to pick up at Brentwood or pay a $2,000 premium for home delivery. I don't know if a downtown address might exceed the delivery limit... The order page will calculate your options when you fill it out.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Hi! Nice to hear from another Memphian.

We're still waiting. The Memphis Service Center is close by but doesn't deliver cars. The city is close to the edge of the delivery radius for the Brentwood showroom. We're out east - almost Germantown - and were told we have to pick up at Brentwood or pay a $2,000 premium for home delivery. I don't know if a downtown address might exceed the delivery limit... The order page will calculate your options when you fill it out.

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered Wednesday at 10am and by yesterday afternoon (not sure what time, I checked at about 4:30) I already have a VIN. I was expecting 4-8 weeks but it looks like this might happen a lot sooner. One of the FB groups is speculating that perhaps Blue is a less popular color. I don't mind that at all!