Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y prices have crashed....I would buy used if you are looking for a car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to be in the market for another car shortly and am thinking of your strategy also.
Unless Tesla comes out with new, much lower pricing, I'll be looking at the used car market.

In response to Hiline below:
I would not be looking to buy from a dealer unless they are market price correct.
More interested in buying from a private individual.

Last edited:
I am being offered between $44-$47k for a 2022 Model Y Performance, 9800 miles and in great condition.

It is only 8 months old and the price has crashed!

If I were wanting a new car today, I would buy used.

That is my recommendation to those looking to buy a new Tesla.

Welcome to 2 months ago.

There's a thread about this elsewhere. For a while in Orlando there were a dozen so sub 1K mile 2022 Model Ys available for $59K to $62K.

The auction market has collapsed for Teslas (and many used cars) so dealers are not paying much for them.

Reactions: Daekwan and DanDi58
Does Tesla keep the same motor and battery 8yr/120K warranty for previously owned cars?

The US mandated battery warranty is 8 years or 100K. Doesn't matter how many owners.

My assumption is Tesla honors 8Y/120K though. I know Hyundai/Kia chop car warranties in half for the second owner (except the battery as that is federally mandated to be 8Y/100K).

yes its starting to become a good time to buy used. Not a good time to sell though. Remember though its only a loss if you sell it. I honestly believe another spike in gas prices will cause used Tesla to recover some value. Right now there is an oversupply and due to various economic factors such as interest rates and lower gas prices the demand has dropped off. Also, now there is a tax credit on the new ones so that hurts used values as well.

Keep your car and enjoy it. That's what I plan to do. Used prices are still a little high though....private party is a good bet. Make sure you get a pre purchase inspection done by someone who knows Tesla.

To be clear to all, I am NOT looking to sell.
I just like to keep a close eye on the car market.
I feel sorry for people who purchased late last year. I purchased my vehicle on April 23rd 2022 at October 1st 2021 pricing.
Performance model has gone up about $10,000 since I purchased.

I purchased my partner a 2023 Mazda CX5 this past weekend, interior quality and ride quality is way better than my vehicle and at half the price. :-(

To be clear to all, I am NOT looking to sell.
I just like to keep a close eye on the car market.
I feel sorry for people who purchased late last year. I purchased my vehicle on April 23rd 2022 at October 1st 2021 pricing.
Performance model has gone up about $10,000 since I purchased.

I purchased my partner a 2023 Mazda CX5 this past weekend, interior quality and ride quality is way better than my vehicle and at half the price. :-(
Ordered in March delivered in June. I sold a 21 LR though that I took delivery in February of 21.
I'm the same I like to keep an eye on what the market is doing. I planned to keep this one at least 5y though. Maybe longer depending.

Some folks panic when their car starts losing value and then they panic sell.

Reactions: ord3r