Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y PUP compared to Merc GLE43 AMG Coupe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Saw some comparisons with GLC but Y can also be compared to the larger GLE Coupe.
Was reading a lot about ride quality and wanted to provide some perspective having had the AMG for a few years, and now test drove a PUP.

For reference the AMG has 275/45/21 on the front, 315/40/21 on the rear and full air suspension. 0-60 5.4s

Ride:
Honestly I felt the Y with 21s was as good if not a little better for ride quality, especially compared to the Merc in AMG driving mode (which stiffens the suspension up significantly).
I threw the Y along twisty backroads. Felt secure and was happy with the handling.

Acceleration:

A clear win for the Y. Just no contest across all speed ranges. No delay or holding revs in preparation. No switching from Comfort to AMG to reach maximum performance. Just instantly gone.
I really thought I'd miss the excitment I get from the AMG sound, but being able to accelerate much faster in complete silence wins. Getting on my way quietly without pissing off other drivers as the AMG growls loudly while passing is a much stealthy way to go.

Size:

I was testing the Y because the cargo sizes are very similar. The Y is about 2in narrower in the trunk but the under storage compartment and huge side bins are much more useful than the absolute bed space.
The Merc is about 4in higher and has a much higher load level and ground clearance. The other thing is the backseat is a few inches wider on the Merc so much more comfort if you want 3 adults back there.

I actually prefer the sporty exterior on the AMG and the interior is way more plush but now I find it fussy with all the controls and cluster dials compared to the minimalist Y interior.

Overall when I think about similar performance AMG63 Coupe at 120K and much slower AMG43 at 90K there's really no contest. AMG is dead as a brand.
My Y PUP reservation is in. I look forward to joining the club.

Hi all,

Saw some comparisons with GLC but Y can also be compared to the larger GLE Coupe.
Was reading a lot about ride quality and wanted to provide some perspective having had the AMG for a few years, and now test drove a PUP.

For reference the AMG has 275/45/21 on the front, 315/40/21 on the rear and full air suspension. 0-60 5.4s

Ride:
Honestly I felt the Y with 21s was as good if not a little better for ride quality, especially compared to the Merc in AMG driving mode (which stiffens the suspension up significantly).
I threw the Y along twisty backroads. Felt secure and was happy with the handling.

Acceleration:

A clear win for the Y. Just no contest across all speed ranges. No delay or holding revs in preparation. No switching from Comfort to AMG to reach maximum performance. Just instantly gone.
I really thought I'd miss the excitment I get from the AMG sound, but being able to accelerate much faster in complete silence wins. Getting on my way quietly without pissing off other drivers as the AMG growls loudly while passing is a much stealthy way to go.

Size:

I was testing the Y because the cargo sizes are very similar. The Y is about 2in narrower in the trunk but the under storage compartment and huge side bins are much more useful than the absolute bed space.
The Merc is about 4in higher and has a much higher load level and ground clearance. The other thing is the backseat is a few inches wider on the Merc so much more comfort if you want 3 adults back there.

I actually prefer the sporty exterior on the AMG and the interior is way more plush but now I find it fussy with all the controls and cluster dials compared to the minimalist Y interior.

Overall when I think about similar performance AMG63 Coupe at 120K and much slower AMG43 at 90K there's really no contest. AMG is dead as a brand.

Interesting. We are awaiting delivery of our Y and are accustomed to premium cars so hoping the Y meets are standard as a Mercedes are BMW of a similar type would.

Interesting. We are awaiting delivery of our Y and are accustomed to premium cars so hoping the Y meets are standard as a Mercedes are BMW of a similar type would.

In my opinion the quality and finish are much better on Germany premium brands. Really noticable panel gaps and trim/lights misalignment on the Y I drove. The Y intetior is OK but nothing like the plush setting you're used to. No vented panels on the seats, double stitching, accent lighting etc. With that said I was happy with the Y, just hoping I get a good one without panel and paint issues...

Reactions: Scott7
Nice insights! I'm trying to convince my old man to get the X but he wants a Merc -_-

My first choice going to Tesla was the X but the build quality was so bad for a 120K car. Found the falcon doors to be annoying but the deal breaker was the dynamics. Handling was really sloppy and ABS braking nothing like as competent as I'm used to. The Y is much better in these areas and half the cost. Just my 2cc

Reactions: cloudshadow
Traded my 2019 GLE43 Coupe for the Model Y Performance in March. Really happy with my choice. Although, I do miss some small features such as the exhaust nodes, ambient lighting interior, and the ventilated seats. It's a no brainer out side of those small luxury details the model Y is extremely better.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I came from a string of BMWs and had a little bit of the same concern but decided to make the commitment and steel myself for the differences.
For me on BMWs there has never been anything that annoyed me, everything made perfect sense ergonomic wise (including all the various iDrives iterations), and the driving experience always satisfying. Every time I would drive something else, it was a different story altogether, even Mercedes and Audis. That said, I think the quality of BMWs has deteriorated slightly over the last few years and now with everything being turbo with fake engine noise, I feed this 'calibre' of engine and performance has been commoditized out of the price:value point they were able to hold.

I am only a few days into Tesla ownership but feel 100% I have made the right decision even if there are some things that could be better. For sure, the interior and build quality is not as good, but for me, the overall experience offsets more than sufficiently. Of course, we'll see once the honeymoon wears off, and I am excited to see competitors come to market to force Tesla to step up on these deficits.
Good luck with your decision.

Hi all,

Ride:

Acceleration:

Size:

120k for the 63? and 90k for the GLC43? I bought my GLC 63 (non coupe) brand new around a year ago for slightly less the 90k OTD and it included all the right options and packages. These days you can do far better than 90k since dealers are willing to offer a good discount. Similarly, you can get a GLC43 new in the 60k range and a used one for less than 50k.
I do agree with your other comparisons though.

120k for the 63? and 90k for the GLC43? I bought my GLC 63 (non coupe) brand new around a year ago for slightly less the 90k OTD and it included all the right options and packages. These days you can do far better than 90k since dealers are willing to offer a good discount. Similarly, you can get a GLC43 new in the 60k range and a used one for less than 50k.
I do agree with your other comparisons though.

Figures are for GLE, not GLC

Traded my 2019 GLE43 Coupe for the Model Y Performance in March. Really happy with my choice. Although, I do miss some small features such as the exhaust nodes, ambient lighting interior, and the ventilated seats. It's a no brainer out side of those small luxury details the model Y is extremely better.

That's the way I feel, I miss a few of the luxury features of BMW but the instant power, 1 pedal driving, no exhaust, and tech make it the best vehicle imo...My expectations have been exceeded actually.

My last 2 cars were BMW 5 series and I’ve had my MY for a week as of today. I couldn’t be happier. Enjoyed my BMWs but the MY feels like a similar quality for me. Obviously there are differences but by no means is this a step back. Seats are always the deal breaker for me with any car and my 100 mile ride home from picking up my Tesla was no problem for my back.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Nice insights! I'm trying to convince my old man to get the X but he wants a Merc -_-

If he does go with an MB, I highly suggest leasing, or at the least buying the extended warranty if he plans to keep it beyond the factory warranty. If he buys, then I say buy CPO and get the extended CPO warranty. I had a GL450 before the Y and in the 5 years I owned it, I had around 50k in warranty work done. One repair was invoiced 23k for warranty. You don't want to own an MB out of warranty, unless you know a really good mechanic that will hook you up. With that said, I still love them and would lease one without a second thought.

I drove three 5 series BMW’s with Sport packages right before my MY PUP, and the most recent model (2017 540i) was definitely the best and most luxurious out of the bunch and loved it, but the PUP far outperforms that car. Yes it less luxurious, but the instant acceleration of the Y far exceeds anything I’ve given up on the comfort end. That coupled with no gas stations, no bulky car keys in my pocket, and a ton of tech, makes the Y the clear winner!

I never thought I would leave the BMW family, but I don’t think I will ever go back now...

Reactions: destructure00
I never thought I would leave the BMW family said:
Now that I've had the delivery experience with Tesla I'm not so sure.... The Y PUP I went to pickup was a shocking mess of fit, finish and safety issues. I got one with the trunk not latching, rear door sticking, headlight alignment way off amongst other things, but the dealbreaker was blatantly obvious paint mismatches.
Also my wife found the interior was too stark for her taste and was really unimpressed with the interior compared to AMG.
I'm waiting for another PUP having rejected the first but I'm already questioning my choice having to convince my wife and now myself we're making the right choice based on my experience so far.

I drove three 5 series BMW’s with Sport packages right before my MY PUP, and the most recent model (2017 540i) was definitely the best and most luxurious out of the bunch and loved it, but the PUP far outperforms that car. Yes it less luxurious, but the instant acceleration of the Y far exceeds anything I’ve given up on the comfort end. That coupled with no gas stations, no bulky car keys in my pocket, and a ton of tech, makes the Y the clear winner!

I never thought I would leave the BMW family, but I don’t think I will ever go back now...

Similar story from me, I left a 2017 X5 and before that had a 650ix (super nice but 11mpg) and have not looked back.

Not to dismiss these severe issues (and the overall issue of delivery quality), but I am very surprised that you'd get to the point of delivery without digesting the interior 'ambience' of the Model Y and Model 3 - it's obviously very polarizing but there was plenty of opportunity to experience it prior to delivery day no?

Not to dismiss these severe issues (and the overall issue of delivery quality), but I am very surprised that you'd get to the point of delivery without digesting the interior 'ambience' of the Model Y and Model 3 - it's obviously very polarizing but there was plenty of opportunity to experience it prior to delivery day no?

Just wasn't possible for my wife to see the car before delivery day due to covid and availability. I'd not seen the white interior on the Y beforehand either. I do like the white more than the black but not as much as the white in the S which was my point of reference.

I've been a BMW lover since I was a teen (and I'm not young) and Tesla has won me over. I still have a BMW 228I but selling it to my brother, no longer want to drive it.