Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y PUP Delivery Update (2nd attempt after rejecting on 6/18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN: 139XX
Date of Build: 6/2020

After rejecting the first delivery and complained to the head delivery manager on 6/18, they were able to find me a matching build a few weeks after. When I got to the Fremont Factory Showroom area (essentially outside the parking lot), I saw my MYP sitting on lot #26. From afar, it looked stunning and flawless. But as I walked around and examined for imperfections, I found quite a few but not as bad as the first delivery.

There were still multiple scuff marks, scratches, residue, panel gaps and alignment issues. However, I feel these issues were pretty minor and can be repaired by the Service Team. I scheduled an appointment at the Sunnyvale Service Center for 7/7. One thing I learned about booking the service appointment. The service app is horrible! There is a character limitation, so if you have more than 6 or 7 issues to type out, it does not allow you to enter anymore characters. Also, you can only upload a maximum of 5 photos! I ended up emailing my Tesla Advisor to forward to the Service Manager in Sunnyvale. They really need to improve the Tesla App for scheduling service (Web based would be my preference).

Here are some quick photos of my delivery and some of the issues I discovered during the delivery and after I took it home.

Delivery Photos: Tesla Model 3 PUP Delivery

Photos of issues to be repaired at Sunnyvale Tesla Service Center: Model Y Performance Service Photos 6/27/20

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
One thing I learned about booking the service appointment. The service app is horrible! There is a character limitation, so if you have more than 6 or 7 issues to type out, it does not allow you to enter anymore characters. Also, you can only upload a maximum of 5 photos! I ended up emailing my Tesla Advisor to forward to the Service Manager in Sunnyvale. They really need to improve the Tesla App for scheduling service (Web based would be my preference).

The limitations on the service app make it inappropriate for delivery issues. I had 18 that needed documentation. Won't really fit in 5 photos.

At my home delivery, the driver took some photos, but wrote down nothing. In later interaction, my delivery center seemed allergic to documenting anything outside of text. It was hard getting comfortable that they documented everything on their internal system so I am glad that they offered to take the car back.

If a clear Due Bill were given at delivery or soon thereafter, buyers would be more comfortable that Tesla would fix the issues. I am accustomed to other brands putting this in writing at delivery with a signature so everyone is on the same page.

Reactions: DennyL and NaiWiste
Update:

My July 7th appointment in Sunnyvale got moved to the Fremont Delivery Hub for a July 20th appointment. Since my list of issues was pretty extensive, they wanted a dedicated service team to repair all of the defects and misalignments near the Fremont Factory.

Below are a number of issues I discovered after taking delivery for 5 days. In my heart, I do not want to return this vehicle. But something tells me I should. How would you guys feel and what would you do if you were in my shoes?

P.S. I currently have 19 miles on the odometer.

Model Y Performance Service Photos 6/27/20

1. Driver side fender scratch mark near the edge of the hood.

2. Driver side fender scratch mark/paint touch-up imperfection between the hood and headlight. Masking tape residue can be seen between the inside lining.

3. Passenger side fender is protruding outwards and is misaligned. There is visible touch-up paint underneath the edge that looks scratched.

4. Center console scratch mark.

5. Rear hatch (Trunk) driver side is misaligned and pushed inwards, causing an uneven closure. The passenger side is flushed evenly.

6. Diagonal scratch/excess paint mark on the passenger side fender.

7. Driver Side headliner is out of position and protruding.

8. Augmented dent mark on the hood – located near the Tesla emblem passenger side.

9. Front Passenger side scratch mark on the edge of the fender – Where it meets the plastic trim

10. Rear passenger side fender trim is out of alignment.

11. Rubber pieces on the driver and passenger side between the hood, windshield, and the A-pillar frame is loose. The driver side has some masking tape residue near the windshield.

12. Driver side bottom door trim is slightly protruding. Passenger side is flush and fits fine.

13. Right rear interior passenger side plastic panel has several scratch marks.

14. Right rear passenger door has an augmented dent / paint imperfection. (Image added on 7/2/20)

15. Right rear passenger seat misalignment (Image added on 7/2/20).

16. Rear bumper clips seem disconnected from the steel body (Image added on 7/2/20)

17. Left side interior hatch has a scratch mark on the plastic trim (Image added on 7/2/20)

18. Right rear passenger bump trim has a scratch mark (Image added on 7/2/20)

Attachments

• IMG_0264.png
    IMG_0264.png
    674.6 KB · Views: 81
It is sad that you are put in the position of accepting clown build quality for such a well designed car. I would have taken mine if they promised a respray and documented that they would fix the alignment issues. They opted for taking it back probably knowing that they would find some idiot to take it after a little touch-up paint.

Reactions: jimmym1981
My July 7th appointment in Sunnyvale got moved to the Fremont Delivery Hub for a July 20th appointment. Since my list of issues was pretty extensive, they wanted a dedicated service team to repair all of the defects and misalignments near the Fremont Factory.
They are clever. They have a feeling that you will probably never be satisfied, and moved the service appointment to after the 14 day free return date. Then when you say you wish to return it, they say "Sorry".

They are clever. They have a feeling that you will probably never be satisfied, and moved the service appointment to after the 14 day free return date. Then when you say you wish to return it, they say "Sorry".

It is definitely a strategic move. I wonder if anyone else has successfully booked a service appointment after delivery and within the 7 day return policy.

Nevertheless, the Service Center Advisor promised me that all of my issues will be resolved. I am hoping they don't break/ruin anything else in the process.

When my delivery happened with dozens of issues, I was able to get a service appointment scheduled for day 6 in the return window. But, the work would not have happened in time. Probably wouldn't have even diagnosed it in time.

Basically, you have to spend an hour at delivery going through the checklist and if there are any serious issues that they quibble about . . . REJECT. Sad as it may take 2-3 deliveries to get a decent build under this strategy.

I personally am going to wait at least a few months for things to settle out while watching the forums for data samples. I will shoot for a delivery that avoids any end of quarter push too. Having the upgraded paint booth online at Fremont would be factor too.