Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y purchase options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the info. I was under the impression they wanted final payment before delivery. If I can cut them a check after inspecting the car I will feel much better about ordering.
FYi, per teslas website, you can pay with personal check at time of delivery.

I plan to inspect in the lot outisde, and if its not up to snuff, no check will be handed over.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Ordering a New Tesla

Payment and Fees
What are the accepted methods of payment?
Before driving off with your new Tesla, we require that the balance be paid in full, either personally or by way of guarantee from a financing institution.

Confirm your method of payment with your Tesla representative prior to Delivery Day. In some states, payment must be received before delivery and cannot be accepted at time of pick-up.

Final payment is accepted via:

• Electronic check (direct debit) in your Tesla Account
  • Wire transfer
  • Personal or cashier’s check at time of pick-up, with your Reservation Number (RN) and name in the memo line

I disagree. If Tesla we see a VIN much sooner than we do. I'd guess they use the orders to tailor their production but match a specific vehicle to a specific order much later in the process.

That's accurate. My local Service Manager just told me that I have until 12/8 to order a custom build. Any time after that I would have to pick from inventory. They have data on what's a popular configuration, they will produce and stock them in advance.

You basically started the post with "I disagree" and then said the exact same thing I said in different words.

This is the disagree part

It means that they are matched to a specific order before they are built. Which they are.

If 100 people order a red/tow hitch/induction/AP (like mine) then yes they'll make 100. Or more likely 105 because they see demand. What I don't believe is that you have a VIN at that point. More likely, they rolled 100 whites off the line, have some blues sitting there from yesterday and want to get rid of all those so they give me the first of those 105 red VINs. Or conversely, the opposite, and they end up giving me the last red VIN because they have nothing at that moment coming to NJ. I'll also bet that if I have the last red VIN and suddenly a bunch of blue & white orders come from NJ that my VIN changes from last to first.

I do agree that they build batches based on orders.