Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y PWS install and Boombox, info from Tesla Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a reply call from my local service center regarding my service request for installation/enabling of PWS to allow for Boombox on my Model Y (June delivery, 137XX). The service advisor indicated that ALL Model Y’s have a version of PWS installed from the factory, however Boombox does not work on all (obviously). Apparently a retrofit is planned in the future (no date estimate), and nothing can be done at this time.
Hope that helps others trying to figure this out!

• Informative
Reactions: GeezerSquid
I have an early Y VIN 0018XX and have a PWS installed in mine but boombox did not download or it is not visible. I installed my speaker shortly after I bought the car when I noticed it did not make the same noise when backing up as my 3.
Waiting on service to get back to me on this matter.
The wire harness was taped with white tape behind the passenger headlamp
I took out the frunk tub to get to it

Reactions: M3noob
I also have an early VIN that didn’t come with the PWS installed. My local service center installed it a few weeks ago and it didn’t work properly the next day. I scheduled a mobile service appointment and engineering made some changes to my vehicle and everything works now. Boombox downloaded after the holiday update. VIN under 003000.

I’ve heard the same - they/service centers will not - unless you press them. Then they will install a speaker and a tecnician will push the update the firmware to run boom box - though the build date doesn’t automatically pull that software.

The other option is to purchase a WASP 🐝 from @HankLloydRight.

My MYP June 2020 build does not have/support PWS (and I’m sorta happy as I dislike the stock noises) - so my wife just purchased the WASP from EV-CPO. $200 bucks and I can play my own sounds when I ea t and also has the new alert/courtesy horn - which is what I’ll use most I think.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I talked to my local service center and they told me they don't do retrofits on the speaker.

Apparently they now offer the retrofit as a service if your vehicle has the wiring:

Pedestrian warning system speaker retrofits available for certain Model 3s made after July 5 2019 through September 9 2020 as this period represents the timing of when the wiring harness was included but not the speaker (all Model 3s built since early September 2020 have the speaker already installed) . Model Ys built before August 14 2020 also qualify.

I’m told the cost is $200US and must be done via service visit or mobile, not by the user as the car config must be updated by a tech in order for the car to recognize it.

Refer to Tesla SI-21-90-001 when you make an appointment to have it installed for reference.

Info from here.

Just got a reply call from my local service center regarding my service request for installation/enabling of PWS to allow for Boombox on my Model Y (June delivery, 137XX). The service advisor indicated that ALL Model Y’s have a version of PWS installed from the factory, however Boombox does not work on all (obviously). Apparently a retrofit is planned in the future (no date estimate), and nothing can be done at this time.
Hope that helps others trying to figure this out!

I just pulled the trigger for an EV-CPO WASP. Anybody here done the installation on a RHD Model 3? Thx.

@M3noob - I just finished the install on my 2020 MYP.

The videos in the website are good. As of now - I did not need to run mine through the firewall. My current set up is all in the frunk. I connected directly to the 12V battery, and found a common ground in the frunk bay - and poof - she works well.

I talked to my local service center and they told me they don't do retrofits on the speaker.
Well now my service center is doing it.
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 11.20.48 AM.png

I just pulled the trigger for an EV-CPO WASP. Anybody here done the installation on a RHD Model 3? Thx.

I just finished the install on my 2020 MYP.

The videos in the website are good. As of now - I did not need to run mine through the firewall. My current set up is all in the frunk. I connected directly to the 12V battery, and found a common ground in the frunk bay - and poof - she works well.

RIGHT HAND DRIVE...

Thank you both for your orders! As far as WASP install goes, the RHD shouldn't be much different that LHD. Unfortunately I don't have access to an M3, but I think there's a switched +12v source on both sides (pax and driver) footwells. An unstitched 12v source is preferred to keep the speaker battery charged at all times. If you choose a switched 12v source, the speaker has about a 5 day standby time, so after that, it may need a few minutes after power up to start charging again. I haven't tested if the speaker needs to be manually turned back on after the battery dies, but I can test that this week and report back. Using the 12v battery directly solves this issue.