Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

New forum user here. Hope everybody is happy with their ... Computers on Wheels :)
I have some questions that I hope you will be able to answer for me.
I'll be needing to buy a car very soon as I'll be needing it to get to work (for less than half a day due to TFL being TFL)
I moved to the UK last year and it has been years since I wanted a Tesla. I can almost afford one now (lease) and was looking at the options I have.
Model Y or Model 3... I like the SUV style more so Model Y is my choice.
What I really want is the LR but financially I think SR would be a better fit for me (and my wallet)
So now that people are getting the Model Y here in the UK, can you please tell me, are there any differences between the LR and SR other than the obvious ones (range, motors, Fog lights)?
Also, are the UK Model Y's having the AMD MCUs? If yes, is that for all versions? (LR, SR, Perf)
If you do not select the Enhanced Autopilot feature during the order, can that be purchased as an upgrade down the road here in the UK? (will it only be a software upgrade or it will require additional hardware)

There are probably more questions but this is for now!
Thanks!

Yes the only difference between RWD and LR is motors, battery size and fog lights, it’s slower to 60 too

All models have the Ryzen MCU

You can order EAP or FSD after delivery through the app as it’s software only.

A note on upgrading the AP most lease companies own the car and you are set as an approved driver and linked to your Tesla account (for paying for Supercharging and connected data etc) you most likely won't be able to upgrade your autopilot at all during your lease (you MAY be able to organise it through the lease company but it's not likely) so for EAP or FSD tyou will need to configure this in the initial order.

Personally I've got the standard AP on my M3, it's fine for what I need, when my order goes in for my 2023 Y I'll probably go for a LR with standard AP rather than the SR and EAP/FSD.

Enjoy your new Y when you get it and welcome to the club!