Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y quieter ride?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is hard one to judge. I test drove with inductions but then purchased with geminis. I couldn’t tell a difference on the wheels but I did drive 3 months appart. On smooth roads the Y is definitely quieter then my 2020 M3 was. Wind noise is far reduced. On some (not all) bumpy roads the Y makes a really low frequency booming. A bit like the deep beating you can get if you open a window at speed or the frequency you get from a sun speaker. I didn’t get that on the M3. I could blame this on the elusive parcel shelf, but I don’t use the parcel shelf on my Audi A6 avant and I don’t have this problem. It’s not terrible but interested to know if anyone else has noticed.

Reactions: nrushforth
So I used the "Noise" app on my Apple Watch while I was driving to get my Y.
In the 3 LR I was averaging around 65 decibels..... In the Y(Geminis) it was the same.
Not exactly a scientific research piece, but I think it shows its most likely very similar

I think this is hard one to judge. I test drove with inductions but then purchased with geminis. I couldn’t tell a difference on the wheels but I did drive 3 months appart. On smooth roads the Y is definitely quieter then my 2020 M3 was. Wind noise is far reduced. On some (not all) bumpy roads the Y makes a really low frequency booming. A bit like the deep beating you can get if you open a window at speed or the frequency you get from a sun speaker. I didn’t get that on the M3. I could blame this on the elusive parcel shelf, but I don’t use the parcel shelf on my Audi A6 avant and I don’t have this problem. It’s not terrible but interested to know if anyone else has noticed.
I know what you mean, I heard it on my MY test drive, and reviewers have also commented on the boomy sound from the back. I’m probably going to install some dynamat on the inner arch panels (behind the boot panelling and carpets) to see if that fixes it.

Quick question. Looking at the Model YLR, do we think the 19 or 20 inch tyres have the smoothest and quietest ride?
19s for best ride quality. I'm not totally convinced about the Hankook tyres, but they are consumables. I have no idea what tyres the 20 inch wheels come with as standard. But for sure smaller wheels and deeper tyre profile is an inherently better combination for ride quality and noise.

Reactions: UkNorthampton