Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y range changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
Just went to the Tesla configurator. Model Y range LR Gemini Wheels listed as 330 mi. 20" wheels - 318 miles. Not 326 mi as on the title page anymore.
Is it a recent change? Edit: also, Model 3 LR is now 358 mi range (instead of 353).
1635819997031.png

Reactions: hlin07
Now the front page has new ranges too. Wasn't so 10 minutes ago...
Also, the 5 and 7 seat configurations change the range now by 4 miles.

Edit: I wonder if the FSD should affect the max range when the car can drive without a driver. :rolleyes:

Now the front page has new ranges too. Wasn't so 10 minutes ago...
Also, the 5 and 7 seat configurations change the range now by 4 miles.

Edit: I wonder if the FSD should affect the max range when the car can drive without a driver. :rolleyes:
maybe, but then range plunges with all the wheel jerking and aggressive accelerations and brakings, not to mention all the hard thinkings from FSD computer stuck at every intersection.

maybe, but then range plunges with all the wheel jerking and aggressive accelerations and brakings, not to mention all the hard thinkings from FSD computer stuck at every intersection.
Are you speaking from experience? I don't have FSD yet but was watching some videos yesterday and it seems the new settings (Chill, Average, Assertive) can really damp down the hard stops and starts, as well as the wheel 'jerking'... Seems much smoother on all the settings and is getting better.

I assume this reflects the projected EPA mileage of a 3Q22 car (because that's when you will get a car ordered now). Perhaps there are some weight savings due to the cast front end and other refinements that increase the total range by 1%.

It is. Was definitely 326 as of yesterday. Not sure why though. But does make sense to have 2 different ranges for the 19” and 20” wheels.
It does; the data that Tesla submitted to the EPA shows a difference in range when changing from the 19" Gemini wheels to the 20" Induction wheels and 21" Uberturbine wheels. The range loss increases at higher speeds.

The lower range estimate of 318 miles with the 20" Induction wheels versus 330 miles for the 19" Gemini wheels is ~3.6% less. This percentage drop in range falls at the far left of the chart when driving at 55 MPH although the dyno test data submitted to the EPA was, as far as I am aware, for ~45 MPH.

Range loss with the different wheel options

I started at EPA 316, and for less than a week I was at 326 after the firmware update, and have hovered around 300 miles at full charge. VIN 9xxx, June 2020 build. Currently at 17K miles, and I'd say that my max range was always around 315 when new. I look at it as losing 15 miles of range at full charge, with about 30% of my total charging since new has been at Superchargers, I stay charged at 80% daily on a 20A charger at home, and charge to 100% before all long 165-175 mile one-way trips, which is about once a month over 18 months. Not too bad, as I never had the larger 82kWh battery. If would have started at 326/330 miles at full charge when new (or for more than the short week it ever showed that much), I would be bummed. I've tried to recoup my miles at full charge by following many outlined procedures in this forum and on the web, but really only was able to pull back around 5-7 miles to my 100% charge range. With the extra buffer, it is more likely that the 82kWh battery can sustain the 100% charge estimated range for longer than the previous battery.