Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
Everyone has preferences that translate to some bias. I find Munroe to back up his bias with reasons and admit when it is simple preference.
Watching that video of tearing the two companies thermal units down it's hard to see anyone arguing with his conclusions.
We still don't know what " Opening up the charging stations" to other vehicles will entail.
Seems to me idiotic for Tesla to do this without getting something out of it.
I believe one motivation is for government subsidies.
Another is profits from selling electricity. I would think other vehicles will be charged more ( or tesla vehicle owners will get a discount.) but who knows.
More on charging.
I'm not sure the Mach E charges as well as the MY. Either at super charging stations of home.
I would think you've looked into that already.
And I'm curious how the two compare in charging rates and efficiency.

The Mach E certainly gets worse mileage and range.
Trying to compare most similar models the The Mach E AWD with an EPA range of 211 miles 93 combined MPGe while the Tesla MY LR AWD with EPA range estimate of 326 miles gets 121 MPGe combined.
Even the RWD extended which gets estimated EPA estimated range of 300 miles only gets MPGe of 97 combined.

Stats are better than personal preferences to me but as you imply there are lots of things that fall into the decision process.

I have a MY LR and find the ride to be fine. YMMY. I like trucks and sports cars so the MY is very comfortable for me.
My biggest dislike for the MY is the dash. While many love the simple clean look I would like dashboard gauges in front of me in addition to the screen.
That's my preference and I know others have the same one. While others love the way it is.
Having only looked at photos of the Mach E dash I think I like it much more than my MY but all in all I am extremely happy with my Tesla MY.
I am sure Tesla will get something out of opening up the SuC network but we will be the ones SuCKing it when there are no spots for our cars that we paid a premium for...

As for range, the EPA ratings are seriously flawed. Based on some of the tests I've seen like the ones I think it was from Edmunds, not a single Tesla exceeded their EPA rating but several others did by considerable margins. Actually it was pretty common for others to exceed their ratings while Tesla couldn't even MEET theirs.

For example the MME CA Route 1 almost equaled the range of the M3 LR and beat the MY LR by 27 miles real world range even though it is rated for about 20 miles less on the EPA test. Or looking at it another way, the MM3 beat its range by 39 miles and the MY LR fell short by 9 mile. The MME just narrowly missed having the longest range of any BEV they tested so far.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
I am sure Tesla will get something out of opening up the SuC network but we will be the ones SuCKing it when there are no spots for our cars that we paid a premium for...

As for range, the EPA ratings are seriously flawed. Based on some of the tests I've seen like the ones I think it was from Edmunds, not a single Tesla exceeded their EPA rating but several others did by considerable margins. Actually it was pretty common for others to exceed their ratings while Tesla couldn't even MEET theirs.

For example the MME CA Route 1 almost equaled the range of the M3 LR and beat the MY LR by 27 miles real world range even though it is rated for about 20 miles less on the EPA test. Or looking at it another way, the MM3 beat its range by 39 miles and the MY LR fell short by 9 mile. The MME just narrowly missed having the longest range of any BEV they tested so far.

The EPA estimates are what we have to go by. Sure they are flawed. Just like they are for ICE vehicles but how else are you going to compare them?
You have to have a basis to compare and that's the basis we have.

As for the supercharger network, I am extremely disappointed in opening them up to other vehicles.

The EPA estimates are what we have to go by. Sure they are flawed. Just like they are for ICE vehicles but how else are you going to compare them?
You have to have a basis to compare and that's the basis we have.

As for the supercharger network, I am extremely disappointed in opening them up to other vehicles.
That is why you look at something the Edmunds test which tests ALL the cars on roads and not on a dyno. I'd rather see the results on real roads than in a lab. Almost nobody ever gets the Tesla rated range when I've seen tests. I've had several ICE cars that when driven like I drive my MY LR will exceed their EPA ratings where I am never even remotely close to the EPA numbers with my MY.

I love my MY LR but I am not going to drink the Elon Koolaid. I've been an engineer for too many years. Even a relatively crappy (by comparison) Ford I had to meet its electric range numbers without having to drive perpetually downhill with the wind at my back for my Tesla to do it.

I would encourage anyone to knock at least 10% of Tesla's stated range to get an idea of your real world range, and that is if you aren't driving in the winter. Maybe if you have speed limits and can't go over 55-60 mph, you might have a shot but everyone is driving at least 70 where I live. If I have my MY fully charged, and I drive 70 mph with the AC and the VERY flat Florida terrain, I am typically at about 270-280 mile on a pie in the sky rating of 326 miles. That is with the AC set at 75F and the ambient temps in the 80-90 range and precooling the car before I get in.

Of course everyone's mileage varies but I've probably owned over 300 vehicles between cars and motorcycles. The only car that I can remember that was more optimistic than I've owned than my MY since EPA ratings were published, were the very early Prius models. Still really appreciate my MY but it lies about its range far more than a freshman does on his first college date.

Back to the original topic. Other cars I'd have gone a different route in a lot of ways to customize it. Given how difficult Tesla with any warranty work, I am limiting my risk. I ordered the factory hitch even though I am sure others would have worked as well or better. I went with factory acceleration boost even though there were other options that offered similar gains, more cool features at half the price. I am pretty much going to do everything by the book, Tesla's book, as I don't really want to have to deal with fighting any warranty claims because they denied them on frivolous grounds. Again, YMMV.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Agreed on mileage discussion. Real world is 0.7x epa. In winter it’s 0.5x epa. That was part of a broader push to say everything needs to be EV, however the tech ain’t close to being there.

I have the blue Y puddle lights from AO. The use same plug and fit fine. Can’t see how they could cause issue.

something else has gone on with the OP car that’s not known or being discussed to cause all that

Reactions: spokey
Agreed on mileage discussion. Real world is 0.7x epa. In winter it’s 0.5x epa. That was part of a broader push to say everything needs to be EV, however the tech ain’t close to being there.

I have the blue Y puddle lights from AO. The use same plug and fit fine. Can’t see how they could cause issue.

something else has gone on with the OP car that’s not known or being discussed to cause all that
.7x , .5x, or .2x or 3.7x The point is using a uniform system So you can compare one vehicle to the next