Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y range estimations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Curious how accurate the Model YP is when estimating battery on trips? I have a LR RWD Model 3 and it seems to be about 5 to 10% off, i.e. says I will arrive with 20% and I arrive with 15% to 10% left. I understand the car will not take weather into consideration but I was just curious what people with Y's or YP's are seeing?

Thanks
Mark

If you enter the destination into the navigation, you can use the Trip screen under the Energy section. I find that estimator to be way more accurate since it updates itself as you drive with actual energy usage. You might still wind up at 10 or 15% when you expected 20%, but at least you will know that as the trip is occurring.

Isn't that estimate based on a combination of some predetermined mix of "CITY/URBAN and HIGHWAY" driving for a short distance in almost PERFECT conditions w/o the HVAC. So differ from that in any manner and that range goes out the window, especially if you jump on the freeway and blast along at 5 or 10 mph over the posted limits. No way in hell will you get close to that number.

I have a long range 2021 they said when I bought the car 326 miles. I’ll never sniff 326 miles with my driving, the estimate from the epa is quite inaccurate. If you go over 80 mph you’re not getting over 200 miles on one charge, if you touch 90 for more than a few seconds I’ve had range estimate as low as 90 miles for a battery over 80% charged. On the flip side, if I just drive to work and back my highest speed is 50 and I can get about 250 miles on one charge, weather impacts it a ton as well. Now I’ve got winter tires on and I’m seeing another range hit of about 15%. I would really like to see a 200kwh battery be used, then I think it would be very hard to argue staying in an ICE.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
[QUOTE="gmetcalf18, post: 6160916, member: 173786". I would really like to see a 200kwh battery be used, then I think it would be very hard to argue staying in an ICE.
[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t that add over $10K to the base MSRP? I guess they could offer it as an option for the well heeled among us.

The battery state of charge / range remaining indicator is indeed based on an EPA constant. It's precise on the amount of energy in the battery, not the distance you can do with the car.
What the OP is asking (I think) is the estimated %remaining when you use the navigation and set a destination. The Tesla algorithm will use terrain elevation in its calculation, maybe temperature that sort of thing. I will not know how fast you'll be going, I'm not sure it will account for wind, and it certainly cannot know how much additional weight is in the car. Some people arrive at exactly the advertised percentage, and I personally consume 10-15% more than that estimate. If I want a more precise estimate upfront, I use ABetterRoutePlanner to plan my trip in advance. I still use the car's navigation afterwards but knowing that its estimates are optimistic (for me). I use the energy graph's "trip" view to see if I'll make it to my destination as I drive, and I slow down if I need to.
The car's energy graph does reflect your recent driving so its consumption estimates are relatively precise for you. Assuming you'll continue to drive the same way on the same type of street.

The battery state of charge / range remaining indicator is indeed based on an EPA constant. It's precise on the amount of energy in the battery, not the distance you can do with the car.
What the OP is asking (I think) is the estimated %remaining when you use the navigation and set a destination. The Tesla algorithm will use terrain elevation in its calculation, maybe temperature that sort of thing. I will not know how fast you'll be going, I'm not sure it will account for wind, and it certainly cannot know how much additional weight is in the car. Some people arrive at exactly the advertised percentage, and I personally consume 10-15% more than that estimate. If I want a more precise estimate upfront, I use ABetterRoutePlanner to plan my trip in advance. I still use the car's navigation afterwards but knowing that its estimates are optimistic (for me). I use the energy graph's "trip" view to see if I'll make it to my destination as I drive, and I slow down if I need to.
The car's energy graph does reflect your recent driving so its consumption estimates are relatively precise for you. Assuming you'll continue to drive the same way on the same type of street.
When you set a destination in the Tesla Navigation system the energy estimate is based on the posted speed limits along the route plus any elevation changes. The Tesla Navigation system does not factor in temperature, wind, wet and dry road conditions or traffic considerations. When you plan a route using A Better Route Planner you can include those considerations and more.

I've actually found it to be pretty accurate - assuming you're talking about the estimated SOC at destination arrival when using Tesla Navigation, to within a percent or two. I generally set the cruise at 73 mph, which I've found to be a good compromise between speed and efficiency.

Reactions: WyomingEV
I have a long range 2021 they said when I bought the car 326 miles. I’ll never sniff 326 miles with my driving, the estimate from the epa is quite inaccurate. If you go over 80 mph you’re not getting over 200 miles on one charge, if you touch 90 for more than a few seconds I’ve had range estimate as low as 90 miles for a battery over 80% charged. On the flip side, if I just drive to work and back my highest speed is 50 and I can get about 250 miles on one charge, weather impacts it a ton as well. Now I’ve got winter tires on and I’m seeing another range hit of about 15%. I would really like to see a 200kwh battery be used, then I think it would be very hard to argue staying in an ICE.
We have an X with 100kWh battery pack. Our usable range is 75% to 80% of the EPA range (220-235 miles) - this allows for end of trip reserves and all of the other factors you mentioned.

In contrast, the Y has an 82 kWh battery pack and has 94% of the EPA range of the X. In terms of range impact, you can see the substantial impact of size and weight between the two vehicles.

Assuming you could stuff a 200 kWh battery pack into a Y, the weight ramifications would be quite substantial (requiring bigger motors, heavier power transfer parts, etc...) The resulting range and efficiencies would not be as good as you might hope. Ultimately, your vehicle cost would not just be the larger battery pack (someone mentioned +$10K)... You would be moving towards a price point closer to the X (without all of the goodies that model provides...)

Reactions: JCLee
I've actually found it to be pretty accurate - assuming you're talking about the estimated SOC at destination arrival when using Tesla Navigation, to within a percent or two. I generally set the cruise at 73 mph, which I've found to be a good compromise between speed and efficiency.
Yup, that is what I was wondering. SoC destination accuracy on the Y vs my 2018 3. Thanks.

For what it’s worth, I charged my 2020 Model Y LR AWD w/induction wheels and 13k miles on it to 100% this past weekend for the first time and saw an estimated 290 miles of range. Using FSD beta most of the time and not settings the speed higher than 75MPH, I got around 230 miles of total range in mixed 10% city and 90% highway driving.