Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the MYLR on order for a month, once I realized the $ difference was only $3k between P & LR (I had the $2k option for Turbine wheels) ...and... I would be getting the Matrix headlights, P motor a spoiler and the rest I upgraded my order to a P. Sure the tires will be more expensive to change out but I have to admit whenever I see either model on the road the one with the little red line under the logo and those red calipers peeking out teases me - I will have no regrets. To boot my delivery date got accelerated in the process. I bought the wife a pair of sunglasses for that first pedal smash, should be here any day now. P.S. I think my Chevy Volt is over 9s to 60, maybe I should order me some sunglasses too.

At the minimal price differential now between P and LR, Tesla has baited everyone to go for the P. Honestly if it was that close when I bought my LR, it would have been a no-brainer. At the same time though, wanted 7 seats so it would have been a hard choice. I use the extra seats far more than I would have the extra off the line punch of the P.

If you are upgrading to the 20's and plan on acceleration boost, the P is really the way to go instead. Dump the 21's, put on better wheels (lighter) and as long as you are fine with the suspension, it is a win-win.

At the minimal price differential now between P and LR, Tesla has baited everyone to go for the P. Honestly if it was that close when I bought my LR, it would have been a no-brainer. At the same time though, wanted 7 seats so it would have been a hard choice. I use the extra seats far more than I would have the extra off the line punch of the P.

If you are upgrading to the 20's and plan on acceleration boost, the P is really the way to go instead. Dump the 21's, put on better wheels (lighter) and as long as you are fine with the suspension, it is a win-win.
100% agreed. Including the wheels.

If I do purchase the MYP they are coming off immediately. Even with the Michelin Pilot A/S4's. My car with the 20" inductions is already stiff enough, so stiff that I literally hit a bump and it knocked the coffee out my mug all over my shirt & pants. And that's before you consider the more expensive 21" tires, the additional loss of range and of course the performance penalty of driving around with 40lb wheels at each corner.

I would hope you could sell the 21" Ultraturbines + A/S4's for a price that would be close to the Tsportline 20" TS5 + A/S4's in the 275 width. Would still expect to take at least a $1000 loss on the wheel swap, but it will be surely worth it in the long run.. for the better performance & meatier tire setup. MYP should be quite a bit quicker too.. I'm guessing 0-60 would drop to about 3.2-3.3 seconds considering these wheels are 10-12lbs lighter than the factory 21" Ultraturbines.

pearl-white-tesla-model-y-20-inch-ts5-zero-g-style-flow-forged-wheels-satin-black-2-wm_431b1400-e937-4bfa-91da-02a9532bbfcc_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

black-tesla-model-y-performance-20-inch-TS5-zero-g-stylee-wheels-matte-black-2-wm_e00ccdb6-4480-4357-8948-dcc7e63b7036_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

I had the MYLR on order for a month, once I realized the $ difference was only $3k between P & LR (I had the $2k option for Turbine wheels) ...and... I would be getting the Matrix headlights, P motor a spoiler and the rest I upgraded my order to a P. Sure the tires will be more expensive to change out but I have to admit whenever I see either model on the road the one with the little red line under the logo and those red calipers peeking out teases me - I will have no regrets. To boot my delivery date got accelerated in the process. I bought the wife a pair of sunglasses for that first pedal smash, should be here any day now. P.S. I think my Chevy Volt is over 9s to 60, maybe I should order me some sunglasses too.
I have the exact same sentiment. awaiting delivery of a MYLR, but if it weren't for the price difference (mine locked in at 54k), the MYP would be a no brainer. I'm actually considering selling the MYLR to carmax or vroom after I claim our state tax credit, if prices are still high, just so I can turn around and get a MYP. I've seen posts on here where ppl are seeling their MYLR to carmax for 65k. insane!

I have the exact same sentiment. awaiting delivery of a MYLR, but if it weren't for the price difference (mine locked in at 54k), the MYP would be a no brainer. I'm actually considering selling the MYLR to carmax or vroom after I claim our state tax credit, if prices are still high, just so I can turn around and get a MYP. I've seen posts on here where ppl are seeling their MYLR to carmax for 65k. insane!
Make sure you dont have to keep car a certain amount or have to payback the credit/rebate/etc prorata( cali cvrp is 3 yrs)

Make sure you dont have to keep car a certain amount or have to payback the credit/rebate/etc prorata( cali cvrp is 3 yrs)
That’s a really good point. Not sure that I qualify for Cvrp, but I though I just had to hold onto the car for 30 days, didn’t realize that it would be prorated… I will have to dig into this more. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: whisperingshad
I ordered the Performance but am wondering if i should have got the AWD.

The MYP will be the third car in our garage. I am getting it as a low key car I can drive when I need to be less conspicuous (my car is a $200k Porsche), for my wife to use when she doesn’t feel like taking her large Mercedes, and also as a car the nanny can use to take the kids to the park, museum etc.

While I think I will enjoy the MYP as a discrete sporty car, I worry it is a bit risky for a nanny to drive. Any thoughts on that?
I glad you managed to highlight:
1 3 cars
2 you have 200K Porsche
3 lagre Mercedes
4 Nanny.
Insecure much ?