Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
excellent. I was totally planning on getting this but maybe I should just use the standard quickness of the car as I will likely be a great change from my VW atlas! Good to know there is a demo period.
If you do think you need it I would wait at least a month. Get a good feel for the base performance of the LR MY. Then if you buy the AB you’ll have a better base of comparison. Doing it too quick after purchase you’ll never really appreciate what it adds.

Reactions: 2101Guy and Ericft
excellent. I was totally planning on getting this but maybe I should just use the standard quickness of the car as I will likely be a great change from my VW atlas! Good to know there is a demo period.
I would take this one step further. You maximize your range by using Chill vs Standard Mode acceleration. You may find that for certain traffic conditions Chill Mode is all you need and you can switch into Standard Mode when you need it.

Reactions: Ericft
so here is what I did as soon as I got the car:

I switched the tires from stock to Michelin All Seasons:

Front stock 255/35/21 to 265/40/21
Rear stock 275/35/21 to 285/40/21

Here is the thread documenting everything:

I had tiny, tiny, tiny rub on the liner when turning the wheel, but after 1000 miles that is now gone. I would absolutely do it again and I think the diff in speedometer error is 4%, so marginally nothing. It gives me enough sidewall for the nasty NYC streets and have not had a dent /scrape / chip as of yet. In my opinion, there should have been the tires that Model Y P came with from the get go. I think from the brief tests I have done the efficiency was the same or even better than the stock tires.
Hey Quorky,

I'm from NJ, Bergen County area. Trying to get my hands on the MYP. I cant make up my mind between LR+Boost or Performance. You have any feedback? I'm concerned for our pesky roads myself. Thanks in advance.

Definitely feel that, but the Performance to me looks so good...........the 8K difference isnt enough for me. Also, you're talking 4.2 vs 3.5
I guess it all really depends on just how fast you really want to go. For me, as of now, the 4.8 is fast enough, If I feel the need, I can do the performance boost down to 4.2 and that is fast enough.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
thanks Gadget63!!! Probably the toughest car decision I've had.
If this is going to be your first Tesla, you're in for a pleasant surprise. The car is lightning fast even at 4.8. It pushes you back into your seat and a smile develops on your face. Quite honestly, unless you don't mind spending ten grand for a 1.3 second boost, save your money, spend 2 grand for the 4.2 boost and call it a day and use that extra money for accessories which you will no doubt want to buy

If this is going to be your first Tesla, you're in for a pleasant surprise. The car is lightning fast even at 4.8. It pushes you back into your seat and a smile develops on your face. Quite honestly, unless you don't mind spending ten grand for a 1.3 second boost, save your money, spend 2 grand for the 4.2 boost and call it a day and use that extra money for accessories which you will no doubt want to buy

I think you've helped tremendously....with this post alone I think you nailed it....I can definitely take that 10K and just buy $35 dollar pedals and good winter tires for later and still have plenty of cash left to take the fam on vaca....we would appreciate that much better than coming in hot off a traffic light....Decision made!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung

@Gadget63 concur 100%. We just got our LR MY (our first EV) on Saturday and compared to any car I've ever owned (granted, none we considered sports cars), there is zero comparison. For day-to-day driving, even those that like to drive in a spirited way, there is ample acceleration in the non-boosted LR for probably 99% of drivers in 99% of situations. If you're looking to race very goofball that pulls up beside you at the light in a Corvette or whatever, then by all means you're going to benefit from more, so please fill your proverbial boots. But for just about everyone else, honestly, go for a drive in the "regular" LR MY and you will be sold. The power delivery is literally instantaneous. Save your $2k/10k and buy something else you could make use of (or maybe some TSLA stocks?).

Hey Quorky,

I'm from NJ, Bergen County area. Trying to get my hands on the MYP. I cant make up my mind between LR+Boost or Performance. You have any feedback? I'm concerned for our pesky roads myself. Thanks in advance.

What car are you coming from? I came from Model 3 Performance, which is the fastest car I have ever owned. It is mind numbing fast. Model Y Performance is fast, but not M3P fast. Pepe will tell you it's just 0.5 sec between them but that difference is felt exponentially.

I like the red calipers, I love the spoiler and the big wheels. Swapped out the tires and the car is a dream. I have zero regrets and if I would have gone the LR route, I would have always had that in the back of my mind. Exclusivity and top performance are worth it to me, plus maybe a small bump in resale value.

In reality my wife did not want to upgrade (or rather downgrade in her opinion) to the Model Y Performance. She says it's a bit sluggish and feels slow (she is talking about the steep power curve on the Y vs the flat power curve on the 3). So when I asked if LR was even worth discussing, she said absolutely not (used more colorful language though).

For wheels tires, I would either get a set from TSportline or do what I did with going larger but having the speedo off 4%. I don't care about that so I went the larger tire route, while keeping the ubers. I love the way they look so don't care of they are heavy or inefficient or that I would have no ability to rotate tires. It looks stunning and the car is plenty fast and the ride is great. I like a harsh ride so 21s with tires inflated to 45 feels great to me.

What car are you coming from? I came from Model 3 Performance, which is the fastest car I have ever owned. It is mind numbing fast. Model Y Performance is fast, but not M3P fast. Pepe will tell you it's just 0.5 sec between them but that difference is felt exponentially.

I like the red calipers, I love the spoiler and the big wheels. Swapped out the tires and the car is a dream. I have zero regrets and if I would have gone the LR route, I would have always had that in the back of my mind. Exclusivity and top performance are worth it to me, plus maybe a small bump in resale value.

In reality my wife did not want to upgrade (or rather downgrade in her opinion) to the Model Y Performance. She says it's a bit sluggish and feels slow (she is talking about the steep power curve on the Y vs the flat power curve on the 3). So when I asked if LR was even worth discussing, she said absolutely not (used more colorful language though).

For wheels tires, I would either get a set from TSportline or do what I did with going larger but having the speedo off 4%. I don't care about that so I went the larger tire route, while keeping the ubers. I love the way they look so don't care of they are heavy or inefficient or that I would have no ability to rotate tires. It looks stunning and the car is plenty fast and the ride is great. I like a harsh ride so 21s with tires inflated to 45 feels great to me.
Audi A7 here is where I’m coming from. I had a model 3 performance on order but just cancelled it because it’s just too small compared to my A7. So replaced the order with the model y but still tossing back and forth. I think I’ll just get the LR with power boost and the induction wheels. Lease it for 2 years and move up to the plaid when that guy has been in production. I would rather save the 8k and put that in stocks or something and see a return or for vacations where the fun would be longer lasting than the .5 seconds. Thanks to one of the other users here it put some things in perspective. Ride comfort is more important to me than speed

Reactions: olsookie
I was on the fence as well and almost got the P. Love the looks of it but not the ride quality so I got the LR. Soon after, I got a cf spoiler (rpm - same as stock but better fit), pedals, a bit cheesy but painted the calipers red and planning to get AB later on after I get bored. Just like a lot of other LR owners, I sometimes feel the “regret”. Last night that “regret “ just vanished when I hit a pothole and felt like my wheel cracked in half. In nyc you can’t own a nice car. The roads are what you’d see in 4th world country and 90% of the drivers should get a psychological evaluation asap. It’s just sad...

4.8 on the LR is clocked at a stand still, from a 60’ roll it’s 4.4, from what I gather reading up on it, with acceleration boosts 4.2 from a stand still, 3.9 from a 1’ roll….

3.5 on the P is clocked from a 1’ roll, from a stand still it’s seeing 3.8.

The P is definitely faster and you’re getting much more for your money. But it’s not THAT much faster as everyone makes it out to be. Tesla did a great job making this a bigger deal then it is(the speed aspect).

That being said 8 grand more for upgraded suspension, brakes, wheels(probably 4k alone), and a few fractions of a second faster is a steal if you can swing the extra money for it.

asI see many LR buyers regret not getting P.

P has Brembo brakes, CF spoiler, metal pedals and a a different motor from the LR. Factor that all in the price is reasonable.

I got a P and couldn't settle for anything slower. I guided my mother to get a LR and that's more than enough for her.

As far as I know both the LR AWD and P's both have Brembo brakes. I have been unable to get a difference on the stopping distance between the two. The Tesla sales rep, who might not have know what he was talking about, said the difference was the red color and name on the caliper covers.