Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Long Range Y. The main reason is that I already stretched my budget to get the Y over the 3 in the first place so the Performance is way outside of my budget. Barring budget however I probably still would have bought the Long Range since 95% of my driving is in bumper to bumper traffic so speed basically means nothing to me. Also I used to own a BMW with low profile summer performance tires and paying $1500 every 15000 miles for new tires gets old really fast. I did consider getting a Performance 3 but I really wanted a hatchback and the Performance 3 is slightly more expensive than the Long Range Y so I went with the Y.

I ordered a Long Range Y. The main reason is that I already stretched my budget to get the Y over the 3 in the first place so the Performance is way outside of my budget. Barring budget however I probably still would have bought the Long Range since 95% of my driving is in bumper to bumper traffic so speed basically means nothing to me. Also I used to own a BMW with low profile summer performance tires and paying $1500 every 15000 miles for new tires gets old really fast. I did consider getting a Performance 3 but I really wanted a hatchback and the Performance 3 is slightly more expensive than the Long Range Y so I went with the Y.
You wont regret it. The Long Range is plenty quick as is. Faster than (Im guessing) 90% of the CUV's on the road.

I have the LR with performance boost. I just couldn’t see paying an extra $10k for wheels no one seems to like, track brakes I’ll never use and a spoiler that’s really too small to assist at freeway speeds.
I have an MYP on order. I really wanted the MS LR but the time horizon is longer than I want to wait so the MYP seemed like a good option. I was looking for something more performance oriented than the MY LR.

What is concerning a bit is maybe Tesla has dialed back the performance of the MY LR from the intial ones. I read a Motor Trend test of a customer's car that they clocked the MY LR at 4.1 0-60. Assuming that is including rollout, maybe 4.3 otherwise. On the website when I looked a the MY LR now, it says 4.8 w/out rollout. So did they dial back the performance of the MY LR? Or did they happen to test a pretty good running 2020 MY LR? What was interesting is the trap speeds of that car weren't that far behind the MYP testing I've seen.

What times have people gotten with and w/out AB on the 2021 MY LR? Where I am going with this for me the MYP may not be worth the extra 10k as others have mentioned. I don't need the "better brakes". I find the 21" wheels hideous and would take them off immediately and that additionally impacts the value proposition especially if I can't resell them for a decent amount. If I keep them, I know my wife will destroy them through curbs so I need something with more sidewall.

I really wanted the acceleration of the M3P but Tesla definitely dialed it back in the MYP. So in a way I am already settling. Not to mention the ride quality of the MYP is not even remotely class leading. Handling is good but pretty much only on really good pavement so the sport suspension they sell with the MYP is a waste. So I'll end up buying coilovers as well. Then I'll get better ride and handling. So I end up paying close to 15k more than the MY LR to get a better all around vehicle.

The better motor is irrevelant for most people unless Tesla decides to unlock more power. If they would do that, then I'd be more inclined to buy the MYP. Or if they offered the track mode as well but people have been waiting for a long time for that as well.

I thought of another approach to see if maybe I got at least a fair amount at resale for the performance package. Best comparison I could find was the M3 LR and the M3P for 2019. I am not sure of the exact difference back then. Assuming it is roughly 8500 like now, on a 2019, you only get ~3k more for your M3P than the M3 LR so that option depreciates far faster than the car itself. This is based on the KBB values for a private party sale in excellent condition. Links here:

If I could get just the stealth version without the fugly wheels and lowered suspension. I'd be much more inclined to go that route. I would probably keep the wheels that came with it. No point in paying for lowering that still comes with crap shocks. The fact they put such heavy wheels on a performance vehicle tells me they are out of touch with what a performance car in this class should be. Through in the terrible suspension and they have less of a clue.

I am going to drive an MY LR again and see if it is as I remembered it. I just hate to buy something and start throwing away stuff because it is so bad and shouldn't have been on there in the first place.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
It's faster than my 2018 M3 LR was, so I'm happy
Nice to know. :cool: I just sold my 2018 M3 LR to get the Model Y LR AWD. Would have kept the 3 but have had rear suspension issues for months now... over it. A bit more room in the Y for the fam, even the dog 🐶, with nice speed is icing on the cake. Plus, I'll even be saving a bit of cash on the monthly payment. Never a bad thing.

Reactions: Gadget63
People also forget that the difference is not as large as they claim at the end of the day. The 10k is not sunk cost, as you recover 50% or more in trading up or selling situation. The price differentials in the M3P and M3 AWD exemplify this quite clearly. The differential is about 5k. So ask yourself, 2-5 yrs down the line, what will your recovery be on MYP vs MY AWD? 5k differential? Very plausible.

If you got the Boost, that differential shrinks to 3k? For 3k I would rather drive the P version, with it's upgrades (whether you value them or not). To the people who say they would rather invest in the Tesla stock. First, I don't invest in stocks, I invest in real estate. Second, i don't have 60k laying around, or 50k, or 40k... In fact I live pretty frugally. It's the monthly payment.

No, I can't take the 10k, or real life 3k differential and invest it in the stock. First, I think the stock is dumb rich (I am not arguing the valuation per se, it's just I can't stomach the multiple), for ppl that did well in it, I applaud you and kudos to you. The fact that we are discussing this point shows that nobody is starving here. Second, my job is very strict with my personal investments. I can't have a kitty to play with in realistic sense. So basically I dont.

So to end this long winded (hopefully people realize I am just being humorous) rant, if you are on the fence, go for the P!!!

Well said. But money is always a factor: $10K is a fairly large sum even if you're financially well off.

$10K invested in brain-dead low-cost index funds will yield 7% average return over the long run. So if money is a concern, getting LR and then adding the boost is the way to go.

Reactions: Gadget63
From what I understand they both use Brembo brakes but wider rotors on the performance model. You can easily paint your calipers red or there are a ton of red caliper cover options out there.

As for the Ubers, there are a ton of them for sale in the classifieds here. People are basically giving them away. Some people would likely swap straight up for other wheels (just my guess) to have decent winter wheels. If range matters to you, I'd pass on the Ubers. They are likely the reason why the MYP got some of the worst range numbers of any EVs they tested. If you like the look of the Ubers, the 20" Induction wheels give you a lot of that without the range penalty.

If I was going to drop money on wheels, I'd go with lightweight ones to get a significant performance improvement. LIkely the Martian MW03s or Titan 7. Even compared to my Gemini wheels, I could drop 10 pounds per wheel alone. That is a massive improvement and will benefit ride, acceleration, handling, etc.

Fleabay or Amazon can get you a copy of the rear spoiler.

I read a Motor Trend test of a customer's car that they clocked the MY LR at 4.1 0-60. Assuming that is including rollout, maybe 4.3 otherwise. On the website when I looked a the MY LR now, it says 4.8 w/out rollout. So did they dial back the performance of the MY LR?
That sounds exactly like the difference between a regular MY and one where that customer had purchased the acceleration boost.

I ordered MY LR. But now I want the rear spoiler, 21” Uberturbine & the Red Brembo. Not a lead foot but just want a little xtra look. Wife said ok. I’ll test drive both again, just in case and make the change.

I painted my calipers myself for less than $30 in two cans of brake cleaner, one can of VHT caliper paint, one can of clearcoat, and white caliper decals from ebay. Tons of youtube vids on how to paint calipers. about a 2 on a difficulty scale of 1-10.

Added a matte black $150 rear spoiler myself a couple months ago.

The 21" wheels/tires will give you a fairly..."firm" ride quality...

Some even go so far as to get aftermarket 18's to reduce ride harshness...

Or to replace the suspension altogether to solve the problem

the 20" black wheels are a good compromise between the 19's and 21's. The 20's come with all season performance tires.

These discussions reveal one main thing: Different people value different features differently. You'll never decide which to buy by looking here. You know the differences, you just have to weigh them and decide. For me, LR + AB is not even close to the MYP in terms of speed. If I want a better ride I can buy the MYP and alter the suspension. If I want better winter tires, those are easily changed too. If I get LR + AB, OTOH, I'll never have the speed of the MYP. Easy choice for me.

PLUS, with all the price changes lately, the MYP is "only" $8500 more now and you'll likely get it sooner.

Anyway, that's how I weighed things. FWIW.

These discussions reveal one main thing: Different people value different features differently. You'll never decide which to buy by looking here. You know the differences, you just have to weigh them and decide. For me, LR + AB is not even close to the MYP in terms of speed. If I want a better ride I can buy the MYP and alter the suspension. If I want better winter tires, those are easily changed too. If I get LR + AB, OTOH, I'll never have the speed of the MYP. Easy choice for me.

PLUS, with all the price changes lately, the MYP is "only" $8500 more now and you'll likely get it sooner.

How is the ride to you? I’m out her in LA and be on the freeway mostly. And no season to worry about :) I’m older so I’d like a cushy ride but just love the look of the MYP. My wife says “that’s our vacation in Hawaii.” I keep thinking About the bragging rights in the back of my mind. Thanks for all the tips on making the MY LR into the MYP. But I’m just one of the few guys that feel like “I’ll know that it’s now really MYP.” So conflicted. I’ll drag my wife to the showroom Friday and ride both to see. Definitely 1st world problems, lol. But really, can you give me your honest answer to the ride question? I do take all of you guys tips very seriously.

Reactions: ToasterStrudel

I agree. I test drove the Performance and the LR back to back, driving around the same streets and over the minor divots. and I honestly couldnt feel too much of a difference going over bumps in the performance. (buying a MYP for my step dad, and ride comfort was a concern). But i did feel a huge difference in the acceleration of the two. the Performance pushes you back into the seat, the LR though quick for a car, just isnt the same (and i think the test drive models have the AB). The red brakes, spoiler, also look great. I wasn't a fan of the lower suspension since my stepdad is coming from a Rav4 with good ground clearance, but they never really go off road anymore. The biggest concern was the 21" wheels, I would prefer the inductions just because it would be easier to swap out tires. But ultimately I chose the Performance for the few times I'll drive it and I'll take care of the seasonal wheel swapping.

How is the ride to you? I’m out her in LA and be on the freeway mostly. And no season to worry about :) I’m older so I’d like a cushy ride but just love the look of the MYP. My wife says “that’s our vacation in Hawaii.” I keep thinking About the bragging rights in the back of my mind. Thanks for all the tips on making the MY LR into the MYP. But I’m just one of the few guys that feel like “I’ll know that it’s now really MYP.” So conflicted. I’ll drag my wife to the showroom Friday and ride both to see. Definitely 1st world problems, lol. But really, can you give me your honest answer to the ride question? I do take all of you guys tips very seriously.
I have MYP largely for same reason you are leaning that way - I did not want to be driving around thinking 'should I have gotten the performance'? Although it is a completely emotional 'argument' for the MYP, I say very strongly if there is doubt, then there is no doubt...

Reactions: ucsdsig and MGsurf
I have MYP largely for same reason you are leaning that way - I did not want to be driving around thinking 'should I have gotten the performance'? Although it is a completely emotional 'argument' for the MYP, I say very strongly if there is doubt, then there is no doubt...

You can turn a Performance into a LR, but you cant turn a LR to a Performance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right? I was so sure that LR was the only way to go. I sold the P to my wife like “it’s only $8500 more, pretty please?” Lol. She said ok but I’ll have to test drive. But I’m guessing I won’t get it till December if I change the configuration this much? 😜