Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife didn't care about the upcharge for the MYP. At least not until she rode in one long enough and wasn't happy with the ride quality. Then when I told her we'd need coilovers and different wheels to get where she'd want to be, that is when it was full stop with her.

The $8500 delta was looking closer to 12-13k by the time we were done. Neither of us would have been happy with the MYP in its stock config. So it came down to buy the MY LR and keep the MS we have on order, or bling out the MYP however I wanted and cancel the MS. I chose the first option of course.

True… so much drama for this… but having a leased 2018 Camry to an end in Sept brings me some hope. But if I change it now… I probably won’t have it until next year? 😲
If you change to a Performance, you likely will get it sooner than if you ordered a MYLR right now.

I changed from MYLR to MYP on 6/10 and I'm expecting delivery next week. It said 1-10 weeks last I checked the Tesla site. I imagine if latest, it'd be August you'd get your MYP

Reactions: MGsurf
How is the ride to you? I’m out her in LA and be on the freeway mostly. And no season to worry about :) I’m older so I’d like a cushy ride but just love the look of the MYP. My wife says “that’s our vacation in Hawaii.” I keep thinking About the bragging rights in the back of my mind. Thanks for all the tips on making the MY LR into the MYP. But I’m just one of the few guys that feel like “I’ll know that it’s now really MYP.” So conflicted. I’ll drag my wife to the showroom Friday and ride both to see. Definitely 1st world problems, lol. But really, can you give me your honest answer to the ride question? I do take all of you guys tips very seriously.

The ride? Much ado about nothing. I'm coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension. Is it as good as that? Well, hmmm, hard to compare. I'd say it's "different" but not necessarily worse. It's a firm suspension, but in no way jarring. In no way uncomfortable. Even my wife commented that the suspension felt nice. Not harsh at all. From all the negative comments on here about the MYLR suspension I was worried about the MYP, as I never test drove the P (only the LR) before placing the order. First time I experienced the MYP suspension was when I drove it off the Mount Kisco lot. 200+ miles home and I was pleasantly surprised by the suspension.

I wish I had more ground clearance. That's my biggest complaint about the suspension. Not much extra height when mild off-roading. Will see how much I dislike that this hunting season. If it's too low, there are lift options out there.

But as for the ride? It's not what I would call "cushy" but I have no issue with how it feels. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the car you're used to and your expectations coming in. I have zero regrets regarding the suspension. And in fact, if I'd known then what I know now, I'd never even have given it a thought and gone straight for the MYP. Suspension is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. And that's with the 21" rims on upstate NY roads which aren't that great.

You gotta try them both though and see how it is to you. I'd definitely take it over a trip to Hawaii. LOL.

Couple of additional notes (not to start any arguments):

- I have always found, that a basic test drive never truly reveals the true ride quality of any vehicle. Mentally its human nature to overlook most negatives when we test drive a vehicle we REALLY want. We justify. I know for a fact, when I first test drove the LR Y (with 20's) she seemed oh so smooth. Then maybe couple weeks later, after many more miles and the initial excitement wore off, I noticed (in the DC area/on DC roads) this thing had a FAR harsher ride than (for example) the Lexus RX350/prior vehicle. ANd I get it..two different vehicles. But still... So if a smooth ride over less than stellar roads is a #1 requirement? Im not certain the MYP is going to cut it for you. If smooth ride over bad roads ISNT a priority? Non issue/Go for it. But coming from a # of vehicles prior to the Y? The ride is more on the "firm" side than it is comfort. Especially with wheels/tires larger than the stock 19's. Again, for MOST...its known issue, exacerbated with 21" wheels/Tires.

Tesla Model Y's Worst Flaw And How To Fix It

If you do take a test drive, make sure its long enough to go over all of the roads you typically traverse.

And while the MYP is definitely faster, the LR with AB is 4.1 or 4.2 I think. Lets not think that's not fast for almost any occassion. For perspective, that's faster than a 2020 BMW 840 Gran Coupe WITH the //M Sport package and dead even with 2009 Ferrari Berlinetta. So no slouch.

- I have always found, that a basic test drive never truly reveals the true ride quality of any vehicle. Mentally its human nature to overlook most negatives when we test drive a vehicle we REALLY want. We justify. I know for a fact, when I first test drove the LR Y (with 20's) she seemed oh so smooth. Then maybe couple weeks later, after many more miles and the initial excitement wore off, I noticed (in the DC area/on DC roads) this thing had a FAR harsher ride than (for example) the Lexus RX350/prior vehicle. ANd I get it..two different vehicles. But still... So if a smooth ride over less than stellar roads is a #1 requirement? Im not certain the MYP is going to cut it for you. If smooth ride over bad roads ISNT a priority? Non issue/Go for it. But coming from a # of vehicles prior to the Y? The ride is more on the "firm" side than it is comfort. Especially with wheels/tires larger than the stock 19's. Again, for MOST...its known issue, exacerbated with 21" wheels/Tires.

If you do take a test drive, make sure its long enough to go over all of the roads you typically traverse.

And while the MYP is definitely faster, the LR with AB is 4.1 or 4.2 I think. Lets not think that's not fast for almost any occassion. For perspective, that's faster than a 2020 BMW 840 Gran Coupe WITH the //M Sport package and dead even with 2009 Ferrari Berlinetta. So no slouch.

You might be right, but I have almost 700 miles on mine and my opinion hasn't changed. I'll ask me again in a year. :)

My wife isn't as easily fooled and she thinks the ride is fine as well.

1/2 second in a 0-60 contest is a LOT and that's the difference between LR AB and P. Nothing is ever "fast enough" for me, thus the easy decision (even if the suspension were too harsh).

Right? I was so sure that LR was the only way to go. I sold the P to my wife like “it’s only $8500 more, pretty please?” Lol. She said ok but I’ll have to test drive. But I’m guessing I won’t get it till December if I change the configuration this much? 😜
I don't know on timelines, but hopefully won't be that long. The good news is that the longer you do wait more likely you might pick up some more enhancements. This all said, if you do end up going with the LR you will love it no doubt anyway!

You might be right, but I have almost 700 miles on mine and my opinion hasn't changed. I'll ask me again in a year. :)

My wife isn't as easily fooled and she thinks the ride is fine as well.

1/2 second in a 0-60 contest is a LOT and that's the difference between LR AB and P. Nothing is ever "fast enough" for me, thus the easy decision (even if the suspension were too harsh).
Totally agree on the 1/2 second being significant. My initial advice to the poster to paint his own calipers/get his own spoiler, etc, was based on this from him:

"Not a lead foot but just want a little xtra look"

So, with that..didnt want him thinking his only option to get red calipers, larger wheels, rear lip spoiler was to get the MYP. But if the fastest Y he can get is a priority, he should absolutely go MYP

I don't know on timelines, but hopefully won't be that long. The good news is that the longer you do wait more likely you might pick up some more enhancements. This all said, if you do end up going with the LR you will love it no doubt anyway!
I'll play Devil's advocate a bit here as well as something else that factored into my logic. It also ties into pkitch's statement about enhancements. While there have been enhancements, lately we've seen the removal of things as well; radar and passenger lumbar as examples. Generally there has been continuous improvements.

One of the things I was torn about, was waiting for the new MIT MY's to come out. Once the new factory is up and running, if I were Tesla, and I had limited production of the the new batteries, I'd be only putting them in my highest level, most profitable models. So who's to say that they couldn't drop a new MYP, with the new battery tech that would allow significantly improved performance and range. If they do something like that, the MYP values will likely take a huge hit as it is no longer the "top" model in the MY range. I've seen this story play out all too often with performance cars. I don't think Teslas will be immune to it.

I think we'll see significant change shortly after they push out the new versions of the MIT MYs. Likely there will be the made in Fremont ones produced along with the made in Texas ones for a while. Given how well the MY LRs are selling, might not be enough batteries for them initially so using in the MYP makes a lot of sense and maybe the top line CTs as well.

Totally agree on the 1/2 second being significant. My initial advice to the poster to paint his own calipers/get his own spoiler, etc, was based on this from him:

"Not a lead foot but just want a little xtra look"

So, with that..didnt want him thinking his only option to get red calipers, larger wheels, rear lip spoiler was to get the MYP. But if the fastest Y he can get is a priority, he should absolutely go MYP
My wife decided it for me, lol. LR it is. She wants to travel to the east coast, Hawaii, and Japan/Korea… all within one year. I’ll have to order the spoiler and paint the calipers after all :) I’m at peace now. I do need the range as I will have to commute 45 miles each way very soon. I thank you and the other guys for this forum! 👍

Thanks man! Wife decided for me, lol. LR it is. I’ll def he the AB. Then the wings and may even paint the calipers. I guess I’m glad we ordered two Tesla’s. Wife will be getting her Model 3 soon. Thanks again.

Reactions: pkitch
The ride? Much ado about nothing. I'm coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension. Is it as good as that? Well, hmmm, hard to compare. I'd say it's "different" but not necessarily worse. It's a firm suspension, but in no way jarring. In no way uncomfortable. Even my wife commented that the suspension felt nice. Not harsh at all. From all the negative comments on here about the MYLR suspension I was worried about the MYP, as I never test drove the P (only the LR) before placing the order. First time I experienced the MYP suspension was when I drove it off the Mount Kisco lot. 200+ miles home and I was pleasantly surprised by the suspension.

I wish I had more ground clearance. That's my biggest complaint about the suspension. Not much extra height when mild off-roading. Will see how much I dislike that this hunting season. If it's too low, there are lift options out there.

But as for the ride? It's not what I would call "cushy" but I have no issue with how it feels. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the car you're used to and your expectations coming in. I have zero regrets regarding the suspension. And in fact, if I'd known then what I know now, I'd never even have given it a thought and gone straight for the MYP. Suspension is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. And that's with the 21" rims on upstate NY roads which aren't that great.

You gotta try them both though and see how it is to you. I'd definitely take it over a trip to Hawaii. LOL.
Wife says LR. And 3 vacations within one year. Boss has spoken, lol. Honestly, probably would have gotten me too many tickets! I’ll get the AB, spoiler and call it a day! Thanks for your input. This forum has been eye opening and fun :)

Reactions: Zhe Wiz
My wife didn't care about the upcharge for the MYP. At least not until she rode in one long enough and wasn't happy with the ride quality. Then when I told her we'd need coilovers and different wheels to get where she'd want to be, that is when it was full stop with her.

The $8500 delta was looking closer to 12-13k by the time we were done. Neither of us would have been happy with the MYP in its stock config. So it came down to buy the MY LR and keep the MS we have on order, or bling out the MYP however I wanted and cancel the MS. I chose the first option of course.
I’m with you… LR it is. And 3 vacations for my wife. I do want the AB and the spoiler tho, lol

My wife decided it for me, lol. LR it is. She wants to travel to the east coast, Hawaii, and Japan/Korea… all within one year. I’ll have to order the spoiler and paint the calipers after all :) I’m at peace now. I do need the range as I will have to commute 45 miles each way very soon. I thank you and the other guys for this forum! 👍
My wife didn't let me order MYP after I told her I need to buy another set of wheels with all season tires. She said just order the LR and didn't want me to spend extra $3k+ to go aftermarket wheels. And then I told her I don't even want to order the car if it's not MYP. Few hours later I came up with the idea, and told her I will go OEM and order the gemini winter tire package. Just need to change it once every year. She finally agreeded to let me buy since I am committed to get what I wanted. After all I am the one who is driving the tesla alone on weekdays for work, not her......I stood on my ground and would not accept anything less than the MYP. I knew deep inside me I will regret if I get the LR even with boost. I don't care it has less range since I am not commuting 300 miles daily. I don't care the sports suspension / ride quility because I won't let it stopping me to get what I wanted. Funny thing was after I got the car and went with aftermarket all season anyway 😆

My wife didn't let me order MYP after I told her I need to buy another set of wheels with all season tires. She said just order the LR and didn't want me to spend extra $3k+ to go aftermarket wheels. And then I told her I don't even want to order the car if it's not MYP. Few hours later I came up with the idea, and told her I will go OEM and order the gemini winter tire package. Just need to change it once every year. She finally agreeded to let me buy since I am committed to get what I wanted. After all I am the one who is driving the tesla alone on weekdays for work, not her......I stood on my ground and would not accept anything less than the MYP. I knew deep inside me I will regret if I get the LR even with boost. I don't care it has less range since I am not commuting 300 miles daily. I don't care the sports suspension / ride quility because I won't let it stopping me to get what I wanted. Funny thing was after I got the car and went with aftermarket all season anyway 😆
Well that worked out well for you. I don't really want to push my wife too much. She is very supportive of my motorcycle addiction and that is far more expensive than the MY and MS put together. So if I generally try to keep her happy. The main reason is she's a great lady even if she doesn't really "get" my interest in cars/bikes, she at least tolerates it pretty well. So far she is really enjoying the MY LR.

I guess the range difference between the LR and P is minimal;

1. People do not take long road trips everyday, and they do not use all 300 plus miles every day.
2. It might be 1 or 1/2 time less supercharger stops for LR versus P for the long road trip.

I guess the range difference between the LR and P is minimal;

1. People do not take long road trips everyday, and they do not use all 300 plus miles every day.
2. It might be 1 or 1/2 time less supercharger stops for LR versus P for the long road trip.
You never really get all the range anyway unless you want to accelerate the degradation of the battery. Think more of like 70% of the rated range (10% SOC to 80% SOC). A lot of supercharger use will accelerate the wear.

I watched an interesting Youtube vid where 2 guys were on a trip, one in the MYP and one in his M3 LR. On about a 5 hour trip, it turned out the MYP took and extra hour or so. They were fine for the first few supercharger stop and stopped pretty much the same with the MYP taking more juice. But one through I think it was Nashville, the MYP couldn't make it and had to detour about 30 min away to as SC to make sure he would have enough energy.

They didn't plan it that way, but they were both surprised what even how impactful that rang difference was on even a short trip. The faster you drive, it is going to be even more significant. According to Edmunds, they said the real world range of an MYP at 100% SOC and driving 75 mph is only about 260 mile until it is totally out of juice. So for most people, that might put you a bit over 220 if you want more of a buffer. If keeping it in the sweet spot of battery health, you end up about 182 miles (using 70% of the charge).

When you start looking at it through that lens, I'll take the extra range and a reason why I ordered an MS as hopefully I can get closer to 300 miles real world range. Around town 180 miles is probably good for most people.

> But one through I think it was Nashville, the MYP couldn't make it and had to detour about 30 min away to as SC to make sure he would have enough energy.

Heh, well that's just bad planning. The car tells you where the next supercharger is and whether or not you can reach it. It's true that there's an aliasing problem where below some critical threshold a trip will take N+1 stops and not N, and if the two cars are spread across that you'll expect a weird jump in travel time between them.

But the car didn't cause the detour, that's on the driver.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG