Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've historically always opted for the top trim and best performance possible. But after driving both the LR and P, I just couldn't justify the extra $8-$10k increase. This is always a big factor for me in that I have to feel it's "worth" the price, as I was already crossing shopping vehicles that cost much more. The Model 3, on the other hand, had a close pricer gap and handled much more like a vehicle that could really benefit from the extra performance, especially around a corner.

The extra weight of the Y makes it feel like it's the happiest cruising versus treating it like a track car. Unless you are indeed planning on hammering the throttle on a regular basis, and killing your range, the LR is definitely the best choice for most people. You save money, get better range, better ride, less expensive tires, and a bit more side-wall.

Now, if are going to a track (or driving like you are on one) the extra power, bigger brakes, wider rear tire, lower-profile tires, and lower suspension would certainly be beneficial. Although regardless, it is still a steep price that is padding Tesla's bottom line than anything else. For everybody else, Performance upgrades would be mostly negative.

At the end of the day, it's your money, your choice, and I wouldn't hold it against anybody for going one way or the other. But don't let the millions of sensational YouTube videos influence you too much. The 0-60 blasts are great, lots of fun, but for most of us, are nothing more than an expensive party trick. Just ask yourself, what do you really want and need from your EV? Make your choice, enjoy it, and don't look back.
totally agree.

The other thing I find? Is that without the sensory affects associated with exhaust sounds, engine revs, supercharger whine, gear shift slambacks? I find myself RARELY using full accelerator launches at all. There is lack of sensory reward to the brain I guess. I do often use the acceleration for passing, merging, quickly getting over to that far left or far right lane for a last minute turn, etc. But even then? Its typically 3/4 throttle at most and thats more than enough to blow by..everyone.

To me, the cost for performance over long range is similiar to cost of FSD over AP. Nice to have? Sure. But generally speaking, a terrible value at the current price points.

Most people in the north East would just buy a second set of rims and tires for snow although it is still lowered.

3.5 isn’t even fast enough in California. I’ve already seen Taycans and Urus daily.
Uh I’m in the northeast, and so are my family and friends - 0 of us have winter tires lol, it doesn’t get that bad, maybe Maine/Michigan/Minnesota/ northern NY STATE gets that bad. I’ve also driven in CA a ton, I’m sure for 80% of the residents, the LR without AB is just fine - I saw more Prius in the LA area than any other car

Reactions: 73Bruin
I've historically always opted for the top trim and best performance possible. But after driving both the LR and P, I just couldn't justify the extra $8-$10k increase. This is always a big factor for me in that I have to feel it's "worth" the price, as I was already crossing shopping vehicles that cost much more. The Model 3, on the other hand, had a close pricer gap and handled much more like a vehicle that could really benefit from the extra performance, especially around a corner.

The extra weight of the Y makes it feel like it's the happiest cruising versus treating it like a track car. Unless you are indeed planning on hammering the throttle on a regular basis, and killing your range, the LR is definitely the best choice for most people. You save money, get better range, better ride, less expensive tires, and a bit more side-wall.

Now, if are going to a track (or driving like you are on one) the extra power, bigger brakes, wider rear tire, lower-profile tires, and lower suspension would certainly be beneficial. Although regardless, it is still a steep price that is padding Tesla's bottom line than anything else. For everybody else, Performance upgrades would be mostly negative.

At the end of the day, it's your money, your choice, and I wouldn't hold it against anybody for going one way or the other. But don't let the millions of sensational YouTube videos influence you too much. The 0-60 blasts are great, lots of fun, but for most of us, are nothing more than an expensive party trick. Just ask yourself, what do you really want and need from your EV? Make your choice, enjoy it, and don't look back.

FWIW, the MYP is an absolute demon on twisty roads. Extremely flat cornering, fast steering, and a supercar-like ability to accelerate out of turns. It wouldn't be my choice for a track due to battery life and weight, but neither would a TM3.

With the repeatability of 0-60 times for electric cars, at some point can everyone just roll down the window, ask "what model is that?" and then just drive off slowly, already knowing the result of a street race? Going fast can be fun, but I don't get what anyone is proving by trying to go faster than the next guy. For ICE cars with modifications and tuning, I get it. It's showing off the results of the work you put in. But for high performance electric cars? It's like one person buys a 60 watt light bulb and another buys a 100 watt light bulb, then both flip the switch to see which one comes on brighter. And if you have the new and improved 105 watt bulb, it will be just a bit brighter than the guy with the 100... every. single. time.

I went back and forth on this like most others. I wound up going LR thinking I’d purchase AB shortly after delivery. 6 months in and I still haven’t purchased AB yet. To me, the LR has plenty of speed. Similar to the post above, I rarely find myself hitting the full throttle. I think the decision really comes down to a person’s driving style.

Reactions: 907XCP
But to be honest, neither myself nor my wife find ourselves even using the full amount of acceleration that's available now. From a standstill, merging, passing. Its just so much torque avail at any time I cant say I ever really need to fully floor it at anytime.
I guess you’ve never driven in the San Francisco Bay area with an a-hole trying to keep you from merging… :)

I have the LR with performance boost. I just couldn’t see paying an extra $10k for wheels no one seems to like, track brakes I’ll never use and a spoiler that’s really too small to assist at freeway speeds.

I ordered the Performance but am wondering if i should have got the AWD.

The MYP will be the third car in our garage. I am getting it as a low key car I can drive when I need to be less conspicuous (my car is a $200k Porsche), for my wife to use when she doesn’t feel like taking her large Mercedes, and also as a car the nanny can use to take the kids to the park, museum etc.

While I think I will enjoy the MYP as a discrete sporty car, I worry it is a bit risky for a nanny to drive. Any thoughts on that?

I ordered the Performance but am wondering if i should have got the AWD.

The MYP will be the third car in our garage. I am getting it as a low key car I can drive when I need to be less conspicuous (my car is a $200k Porsche), for my wife to use when she doesn’t feel like taking her large Mercedes, and also as a car the nanny can use to take the kids to the park, museum etc.

While I think I will enjoy the MYP as a discrete sporty car, I worry it is a bit risky for a nanny to drive. Any thoughts on that?
Leave it on Chill mode and set speed limit to 65.

I am having a hard time deciding between the LR & Performance Model Y
Before humoring myself with reading the whole thread I'll just add my 2 cents.

First go do a demo drive in each. Then decide if the added range or driving faster than the law allows is more important and it is worth paying the extra money for.

Or, if you plan to use the car for race track driving then you shouldn't care about range and just the need to win on the track.

Once you do your two test drive you'll know and be comfortable with your choice.

Finally, if you just have so much money cost is no object then go for it even if you never push your M Y faster that the Performance model allows. Just knowing you can may give you that superior feeling of having that much performance even though you are just driving no faster than 120mph same as the LR version.

And my final final is that as a stock holder you buying a performance trim increases Tesla profit margins and makes me richer. :)

3.5 isn’t even fast enough in California. I’ve already seen Taycans and Urus daily.
3.5 mph? I agree, last time I was in LA I was able to go 5 mph maximum in all that traffic. I told my wife a bicycle would get me there faster.

Get the Performance if for no other reason than the $10,000 red colored brakes you never use because of one pedal driving. :)

Last edited:
I see many LR buyers regret not getting P.

P has Brembo brakes, CF spoiler, metal pedals and a a different motor from the LR. Factor that all in the price is reasonable.

I got a P and couldn't settle for anything slower. I guided my mother to get a LR and that's more than enough for her.
They all have Brembo brakes (not just the performance models).. in fact, they have the exact same calipers (just painted red) - the only real performance difference is that the P has slightly thicker rotors.

With the repeatability of 0-60 times for electric cars, at some point can everyone just roll down the window, ask "what model is that?" and then just drive off slowly, already knowing the result of a street race? Going fast can be fun, but I don't get what anyone is proving by trying to go faster than the next guy. For ICE cars with modifications and tuning, I get it. It's showing off the results of the work you put in. But for high performance electric cars? It's like one person buys a 60 watt light bulb and another buys a 100 watt light bulb, then both flip the switch to see which one comes on brighter. And if you have the new and improved 105 watt bulb, it will be just a bit brighter than the guy with the 100... every. single. time.
This is great. I used a similar analogy when deciding between models.

They all have Brembo brakes (not just the performance models).. in fact, they have the exact same calipers (just painted red) - the only real performance difference is that the P has slightly thicker rotors.
34A1B026-9953-4BB8-A6F3-F77064CBA607.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: 907XCP
So do all MY’s come with the 82KW battery or is it just the performance?
I got an AWD with 20” Inductions in March, added the acceleration boost and got my brake calipers painted red with white Tesla decals. Instant cheaper performance looking Y with a better ride and all season tires. I like the ride. Feels sporty stiff and fun but I may not be as picky. I only have 1,200 miles and am averaging 274 wh/mi, but that’s going to vary a lot from person to person depending on how and where you drive.

Main thing I wanted to add to the conversation is that if I use the numbers on the energy graph on the trip computer, I back into 78.2 kWh, which would corroborate an 82 kWh battery in the AWD. But I’m not an electrician or engineer.

great points. Also, imagine how boring Fast and Furious franchise is about to get over the next few years...I mean, the cars will be faster, but man the soundtrack is about to get a whole lot more quieter..

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
People also forget that the difference is not as large as they claim at the end of the day. The 10k is not sunk cost, as you recover 50% or more in trading up or selling situation. The price differentials in the M3P and M3 AWD exemplify this quite clearly. The differential is about 5k. So ask yourself, 2-5 yrs down the line, what will your recovery be on MYP vs MY AWD? 5k differential? Very plausible.

If you got the Boost, that differential shrinks to 3k? For 3k I would rather drive the P version, with it's upgrades (whether you value them or not). To the people who say they would rather invest in the Tesla stock. First, I don't invest in stocks, I invest in real estate. Second, i don't have 60k laying around, or 50k, or 40k... In fact I live pretty frugally. It's the monthly payment.

No, I can't take the 10k, or real life 3k differential and invest it in the stock. First, I think the stock is dumb rich (I am not arguing the valuation per se, it's just I can't stomach the multiple), for ppl that did well in it, I applaud you and kudos to you. The fact that we are discussing this point shows that nobody is starving here. Second, my job is very strict with my personal investments. I can't have a kitty to play with in realistic sense. So basically I dont.

So to end this long winded (hopefully people realize I am just being humorous) rant, if you are on the fence, go for the P!!!

Last edited:
People also forget that the difference is not as large as they claim at the end of the day. The 10k is not sunk cost, as you recover 50% or more in trading up or selling situation. The price differentials in the M3P and M3 AWD exemplify this quite clearly. The differential is about 5k. So ask yourself, 2-5 yrs down the line, what will your recovery be on MYP vs MY AWD? 5k differential? Very plausible.

If you got the Boost, that differential shrinks to 3k? For 3k I would rather drive the P version, with it's upgrades (whether you value them or not). To the people who say they would rather invest in the Tesla stock. First, I don't invest in stocks, I invest in real estate. Second, i don't have 60k laying around, or 50k, or 40k... In fact I live pretty frugally. It's the monthly payment.

No, I can't take the 10k, or real life 3k differential and invest it in the stock. First, I think the stock is dumb rich (I am not arguing the valuation per se, it's just I can't stomach the multiple), for ppl that did well in it, I applaud you and kudos to you. The fact that we are discussing this point shows that nobody is starving here. Second, my job is very strict with my personal investments. I can't have a kitty to play with in realistic sense. So basically I dont.

So to end this long winded (hopefully people realize I am just being humorous) rant, if you are on the fence, go for the P!!!
I dont buy a car with ANY expections as an investment....as it is the worst possible. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it, Next car