Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rattle - anybody has similar problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found that most of my noise is now coming from the middle headrest. It rattles when down and squeaks when up. I haven't removed the backing on the middle seat to check for looseness or lubricate anything, but when I get to it I will try to take some pics. For now I am driving with the middle headrest completely out and in the sub-trunk :(

finally SC tech is able to find source, it was trim that holds trunk speakers. he put insulation between glass and trim above trunk speaker.
I drove 50km on hwy 100-110 km/h and 20 km on street at 50 km/h and so far noise didn't return

I have exact same clicking noise, any luck?
finally SC tech is able to find source, it was trim that holds trunk speakers. he put insulation between glass and trim above trunk speaker.
I drove 50km on hwy 100-110 km/h and 20 km on street at 50 km/h and so far noise didn't return

i had same sound coming from liftgate area and was driving me nuts. went in to the sc 3 times and they thought it was coming from the latch and had it replaced twice to no avail.

i went back there while wife was driving and i could hear it coming from area near the passenger side speaker. pounded the plastic trim above the speaker grill with my fist a few times and noise is now gone.

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I had a rattle that seemed like it was coming from rear seat. Watched a youtube video about rattles in the front seat belt upper adjusters up on the door posts. Video shows how to take the cover off to fix his problem. I didn't have to do that. Slid the adjusters (on both sides) all the way to the top and took a test drive. Rattle is gone!!! I'm sure this is only one source of a rattle, but it fixed my problem.

Link to video -

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Hi allso I had the same problem as oringinal post

Time will tell but following all the advise I did as below

Greased all spring tensioners behind the black covers on each seat
Inserted foam into such black covers
Removed back panel to sear
Inserted cloth and foam sponges into top of frame where head rest sits
Inserted foam sponges and cloth into middle seat belt bracket
Inserted foam into left side due to plastic frame being loose of the seat frame

Didn’t hear noise yet but only took it out for a quick drive

If it returns next step is to insert more foam into the seat tensioners as original post

I think the fact it’s on all ages of vehicle and I see YouTube post on other vehicles it’s simply something to do with the tensioners for the spring loaded seats , well here hoping

IMG_2923.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    733.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2916.jpeg
    IMG_2916.jpeg
    703.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2921.jpeg
    IMG_2921.jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    921.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2915.jpeg
    IMG_2915.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2917.jpeg
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    856.5 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Ts91
So after test still there just quiet
Removed lower seat and is loud
M when someone sits on lower seat goes away

Next task is to remove the seat lower frame from the car and insert some rubber shim under and clamp back down see if this is it … any ideas always welcome?

So after test still there just quiet
Removed lower seat and is loud
M when someone sits on lower seat goes away

Next task is to remove the seat lower frame from the car and insert some rubber shim under and clamp back down see if this is it … any ideas always welcome?
Further update today I stuffed another sponge into the right hand side (passenger side) seat tensioner cover to place more force on the spring and so far no noise

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 114
Rattle/noise inventory:
2023 MYP - delivered May
1. front passenger seat belt. When the buckle twisted to rest on the seatback it rattles. When I untwist it to let hang freely it doesn't.
2. When I take a sharp turn the rear left creaks - possibly from the seats.

2023 MYLR - delivered October
1. front passenger seat belt. When the buckle hangs freely it rattles, when I twist to rest on the seatback it doesn't rattle. Opposite of other car! 🤪
2. the Climate Control has a loud purr that gets louder with higher fan speed.
3. the right door rattles like there is a pencil in the door pocket with no pad under it.
4. the electric motor whine is much louder than my last two MYs. Gets louder the faster you go.
5. the gemini wheels crackle

Ugh - gonna have some service appointments.

If anyone has a quick fix for any of these, please let me know,

Thanks!

Rattle/noise inventory:
2023 MYP - delivered May
1. front passenger seat belt. When the buckle twisted to rest on the seatback it rattles. When I untwist it to let hang freely it doesn't.

1. front passenger seat belt. When the buckle hangs freely it rattles, when I twist to rest on the seatback it doesn't rattle. Opposite of other car! 🤪
3. the right door rattles like there is a pencil in the door pocket with no pad under it.
4. the electric motor whine is much louder than my last two MYs. Gets louder the faster you go.

Thanks!
Sadly the more I read the more I believe it’s just a crap built car
But they know it, service already told me there is no fix to any of them ….

So my rear seat metallic noise as in original post still happens just very quiet.. I’m thinking you know what service centre would never look at the inside of the seat tensioner when I return car after lease I might just squirt some expanding foam in there and call it a day !!

Rattle/noise inventory:
2023 MYP - delivered May

Thanks!
Let me know what your service is like in the Denver area. I came from Seattle and had very different experiences at each SC and I'm not sure what the reputations are for each SC here.

I've got a rattle coming from the passenger side seatbelt adjuster (tried a few DIY solutions already), and tons of rear rattles, rustling sounds, and creaks. Sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger door card or seats but I've opened everything up and adjusted everything I could think of with no improvement so far.

Let me know what your service is like in the Denver area. I came from Seattle and had very different experiences at each SC and I'm not sure what the reputations are for each SC here.

I've got a rattle coming from the passenger side seatbelt adjuster (tried a few DIY solutions already), and tons of rear rattles, rustling sounds, and creaks. Sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger door card or seats but I've opened everything up and adjusted everything I could think of with no improvement so far.
So far every appointment where they fix something, they missed something else up. But with so many rattles, I have to give them a chance to fix at least some of them.

This morning my daughter was in the back seat on the way to school and I had her identify that the rear rattle I thought was coming from the second row was actually coming from the hatch. I just adjusted the bump stops on the hatch to be tighter and hope that helps. I can report back here on any positive results, but I'm doubtful.

Reactions: PNWLeccy