Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rattle - anybody has similar problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I fixed the problem.

The sound seems to come from these things.

View attachment 647334

I ordered small paint sponge and inserted them inside like this.

View attachment 647335

So far, it seems the noise disappears. I need to drive more to confirm but that seems to get better.

I am still super disappointed by Tesla approach to attempt to charge their customers for cars having weird problems. I chatted with another Model Y owner in my resident and he had a lot of issues too (even refused first delivery) and the same service center fixed everything for free for him (rattles, vibrations, small paint chips, etc). The willingness to fix issues seems totally arbitrary and random. Having two cybertrucks orders, I am not sure I will take delivery - at least not after waiting a year or two so that issues are properly addressed.
They don't charge that diagnostic fee if they can reproduce the customer's complaint. But it is offputting to see a dollar cost estimate on what is clearly a warranted item.

I think I fixed the problem.

The sound seems to come from these things.

View attachment 647334

I ordered small paint sponge and inserted them inside like this.

View attachment 647335

So far, it seems the noise disappears. I need to drive more to confirm but that seems to get better.

I am still super disappointed by Tesla approach to attempt to charge their customers for cars having weird problems. I chatted with another Model Y owner in my resident and he had a lot of issues too (even refused first delivery) and the same service center fixed everything for free for him (rattles, vibrations, small paint chips, etc). The willingness to fix issues seems totally arbitrary and random. Having two cybertrucks orders, I am not sure I will take delivery - at least not after waiting a year or two so that issues are properly addressed.
Do you have a link to the sponge you used? Did they clear out your issue?

I believe that I had the same rattle. It was finally fixed after my third visit to the SC and finally taking a technician for a test drive. In my case, it was more likely to occur when the road was turning slightly left. The technician indicated that it was the rear seat release cables that were rattling. There was a laundry list of other things that were done during the prior two visits to supposedly "fix" the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNLNSW1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put one to two per "black section" highlighted in the pictures. I did not hear that sound again so far.
Thanks for the link and I have the sponges now. My outside two black plastic circles on the rear seats, that you highlighted, definitely rattle when tapped. I don't see how you got that nice clear access to them, in your 2nd picture, to put the sponges in from below? I've folded the seats down and I can probably get one shoved in there, but your picture makes it look like there's an easier way?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Stach

Thanks for the link and I have the sponges now. My outside two black plastic circles on the rear seats, that you highlighted, definitely rattle when tapped. I don't see how you got that nice clear access to them, in your 2nd picture, to put the sponges in from below? I've folded the seats down and I can probably get one shoved in there, but your picture makes it look like there's an easier way?

Stach
Funny you posted. Mine came back and had mobile service here for something else. Guy was a champ trying to not sit in the back seat and heard the rattle coming from those spots. I mentioned the foam and he said to try and let the service center fix it as the foam could void the warranty but probably would do anything. He did state that they might come back and deem it normal which means I’ll be using the foam. He also said he is recommending them to apply felt padding inside them to prevent the contact.

to answer your question, you can access the black pieces by pulling the backseat up and out. Be careful there are wires on the drivers side

Funny you posted. Mine came back and had mobile service here for something else. Guy was a champ trying to not sit in the back seat and heard the rattle coming from those spots. I mentioned the foam and he said to try and let the service center fix it as the foam could void the warranty but probably would do anything. He did state that they might come back and deem it normal which means I’ll be using the foam. He also said he is recommending them to apply felt padding inside them to prevent the contact.

to answer your question, you can access the black pieces by pulling the backseat up and out. Be careful there are wires on the drivers side
Well, that's unfortunate that the rattle came back, but at least they confirmed that they are the problem. The SC replace my entire rear seat because of rattles and those black plastic circles (end ones only) are still loose. While it initially seemed like they fixed the issue, the rattles are back and maybe worse than before as now the center seat rattles badly when folded down (it didn't before). I wouldn't hold my breath for the SC to fix it as they are swamped and I was pushed back several months towards the end of their last "fix".

Please keep us posted if you try anything else as I plan to install your yellow sponges to see if they do anything good for me. :)

Well, that's unfortunate that the rattle came back, but at least they confirmed that they are the problem. The SC replace my entire rear seat because of rattles and those black plastic circles (end ones only) are still loose. While it initially seemed like they fixed the issue, the rattles are back and maybe worse than before as now the center seat rattles badly when folded down (it didn't before). I wouldn't hold my breath for the SC to fix it as they are swamped and I was pushed back several months towards the end of their last "fix".

Please keep us posted if you try anything else as I plan to install your yellow sponges to see if they do anything good for me. :)
Keep me posted as well. Luckily for now I I can recline the seats to mitigate the sound. Also the middle seat bottom can be pulled from the top slightly. There is a metal bar in there that can rattle. Tech showed me and warned not to pull to far or it will break.

Keep me posted as well. Luckily for now I I can recline the seats to mitigate the sound. Also the middle seat bottom can be pulled from the top slightly. There is a metal bar in there that can rattle. Tech showed me and warned not to pull to far or it will break.
That metal bar sound like a potential problem, can you post of pictures showing it and what the exact problem is?

I snapped a quick photo today but had to run in the office. The bar is behind this cushion in the middle seat and you pull from the top part. I did recline the driver’s side just a hair and it nearly eliminated the rattle. Will try with both seats close to the same one day to see how it is.
CF0C5BA0-CED1-4EB6-B4DB-5D2551C82721.jpeg
B9B3F350-CDB8-4F13-89A8-D6881700D206.jpeg

Stach

You need to remove the bottom seats. Remove them and then you have access from the bottom.

Third visit to the service center and they for sure did not fix it. It is better but still there. I usually leave the seat at the first recline and it doesn’t make the noise much. One day I will just put in the sponges.

They said it was the back seats rubbing though I did let them know what the mobile tech said when he identified the plastic pieces. They probably didn’t listen to me. At least they tried.

Hi folks,

I have my Model Y since July last year. I always had a rattle and put the car twice in service for repairs and they never fixed it.
There are two videos that shows what the rattle is

Anybody had such a rattle and fixed it? If yes, what was the culprit?

Thanks!
I have the same exact rattle from the rear. I took delivery 5/26. Every figure this out?

Reactions: zpaul
I have the same exact rattle from the rear. I took delivery 5/26. Every figure this out?
It is 100% the seats. The SC greased the posts and put a spacer to separate the passenger side and the 60% driver side. When fully up it didn’t really help. I have found that reclining the seats to the first notch made a huge difference. I tried the sponges (mentioned above). but they didn’t make a big different though I could not get them into all the plastic pieces. Regardless it is what it is. I am just tired of going to the SC to have them say they fixed it and didn’t. For others they changes the seats and it made it worse or brought in other issues. The passengers seem to like the seats reclined so it works out somewhat. A bit disappointing since they have heard it, identified it, but have not solution to the issue.

Reactions: nyev
I have this exact rattle! it's driving me nuts. I just picked up my car from the service center. I thought it was the rear right quarter panel. if you hit it from the inside (behind right tail light there was a spring like rattle. I thought that was it. They said the amplifier was loose, and filled it with insulation. It no longer makes a sound when I bang that section. But of course a few min later, driving I heard it. I had a passenger in the backseat try to find it, but they coulnd't. They then sat in the 3rd row (cramped), with the 2nd row right side down so their legs could fit and there was no sound

So it's something to do with that 2nd row for sure.

Reactions: Mercedes fan