Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rattle - anybody has similar problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the rattles in my Model Y was coming from the seat back panel of the second row center seat. One of the clips that holds the panel, at the bottom of the seat back, that was not inserted all the way. I gave it a good smack with the palm of my hand; no more rattle. The second rattle only happens when I drive over expansion joints in a parking garage. It could be a seat belt, I've never investigated that rattle.

You can report it (they said it was the imbedded seat belt clickers) to the Service Center, like I did, and I did eventually get an entirely new rear seat. While that rattle went away, 2 other rear seat rattles have replaced them and they appear to be centered around the middle fold down seat. I've read that the seat isn't too hard to remove so I may get more aggressive at finding and fixing the issue myself this summer, if I find some spare time.

I had a similar rattle on my MYP picked up in later June 2020 that I isolated to the lower middle seat cushion area. Word from the service center was the following "noise was from the actuator bracket, removed bracket and adjusted mounting points to clear bracket from seat frame". And based on an extensive search, I found a random post where they stuffed the insides of the seatbelt clicker holder with foam, so I also had them stuff the middle seatbelt with their black foam (you can remove the back seat cushion and literally stick your finger up and inside the seat belt holder and that's where you stuff the foam on all sides of the insides of the seatbelt holder). The combination of these two repairs pretty much fixed the annoying 6 month rattle. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Koolio46
I had a similar rattle on my MYP picked up in later June 2020 that I isolated to the lower middle seat cushion area. Word from the service center was the following "noise was from the actuator bracket, removed bracket and adjusted mounting points to clear bracket from seat frame". And based on an extensive search, I found a random post where they stuffed the insides of the seatbelt clicker holder with foam, so I also had them stuff the middle seatbelt with their black foam (you can remove the back seat cushion and literally stick your finger up and inside the seat belt holder and that's where you stuff the foam on all sides of the insides of the seatbelt holder). The combination of these two repairs pretty much fixed the annoying 6 month rattle. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot. I do have an appointment with the service center and will bring this information to them. I will also try to isolate the issue this weekend.

Reactions: wizzad12
Pull the rear seat up, lay it on the floor, and start pounding on things with your hand to replicate the rattle.

I had a metallic sounding rattle coming from the middle rear seat buckle. It sounded it like it was coming from the top of the rear hatch, but I was wrong. I pulled the rear seats, and eventually taped the middle seat buckle to the passenger buckle to diagnose it. The buckle needed a very low profile Torx 45 bolt tool so I had the ranger come out and tighten it for me.

MY_rear_buckle.jpg

I contacted my service center and they want to charge me $124 for that, even if I already brought the vehicle twice for this very problem. Apparently, rattles/noise are not covered by the warranty and just fixed for 6 months as a courtesy. I was totally unaware of this and very surprised that tesla is charging for an issue diagnosed before and was not fixed. I am wondering if the issue will be fixed if I pay. Not sure how to go from there and pretty disappointed by the customer experience.

Is a potential $124 charge really putting you off from fixing your $60,000 car?

Any time I've made an appointment there was some $ charge they assigned. Its always been covered and I haven't paid out of pocket once.

That being said: A car is a car and your Tesla is just another car. If you're not messing around with proprietary electronics or SW then it's basically the same as any other car. If anything, its even easier since there's a vast Tesla community and M3 has been out for years so virtually everything is known. MY is basically the same as M3.

I contacted my service center and they want to charge me $124 for that, even if I already brought the vehicle twice for this very problem. Apparently, rattles/noise are not covered by the warranty and just fixed for 6 months as a courtesy. I was totally unaware of this and very surprised that tesla is charging for an issue diagnosed before and was not fixed. I am wondering if the issue will be fixed if I pay. Not sure how to go from there and pretty disappointed by the customer experience.

Is a potential $124 charge really putting you off from fixing your $60,000 car?

Any time I've made an appointment there was some $ charge they assigned. Its always been covered and I haven't paid out of pocket once.

That being said: A car is a car and your Tesla is just another car. If you're not messing around with proprietary electronics or SW then it's basically the same as any other car. If anything, its even easier since there's a vast Tesla community and M3 has been out for years so virtually everything is known. MY is basically the same as M3.

I believe that when I purchase a car at $60k, I will be covered for any manufacturing defects. So far, Tesla never charged me to fix precious squeak, paint mismatch (the door did not match the rest of the car). I do not think this is fair to charge a customer for a car that should not have constant vibrations. Otherwise, I would have bought a used car to not have this peace of mind. I just think this is not fair to ask the customer to pay so that the dealership can find what is messed up with the car they delivered.

That is just my perspective, I understand your point of view, just disagree and believe that a $60k car should really not come with constant vibrations, mismatch paint, and squeak. And if that happens, the manufacturer should take responsibility for it.

Pull the rear seat up, lay it on the floor, and start pounding on things with your hand to replicate the rattle.

I had a metallic sounding rattle coming from the middle rear seat buckle. It sounded it like it was coming from the top of the rear hatch, but I was wrong. I pulled the rear seats, and eventually taped the middle seat buckle to the passenger buckle to diagnose it. The buckle needed a very low profile Torx 45 bolt tool so I had the ranger come out and tighten it for me.

View attachment 645595

Thanks for the information and the picture. It seems it might be the source and I will attempt your trick. In fact, I also believe this came from the top but I might be totally wrong.

Question: how do you pull the seats? I tried but it does not seem to come up. Did you force it?

Thanks!

I think I fixed the problem.

The sound seems to come from these things.

IMG_5918.jpeg

I ordered small paint sponge and inserted them inside like this.

IMG_5935.jpeg

So far, it seems the noise disappears. I need to drive more to confirm but that seems to get better.

I am still super disappointed by Tesla approach to attempt to charge their customers for cars having weird problems. I chatted with another Model Y owner in my resident and he had a lot of issues too (even refused first delivery) and the same service center fixed everything for free for him (rattles, vibrations, small paint chips, etc). The willingness to fix issues seems totally arbitrary and random. Having two cybertrucks orders, I am not sure I will take delivery - at least not after waiting a year or two so that issues are properly addressed.