Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rattle - anybody has similar problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I have my Model Y since July last year. I always had a rattle and put the car twice in service for repairs and they never fixed it.
There are two videos that shows what the rattle is

Anybody had such a rattle and fixed it? If yes, what was the culprit?

Thanks!
Did you ever get this fixed...just picked up my car yesterday and have this same rattle.

Just picked up my new Y on 7/21...very next day all i hear is loud rattle and glass shaking while driving on any bumps or even semi bumpy road (any non highway). It is just continuous and does not stop. Took it to shop today...tech spends 10 minutes and says it fixed. We take it for a drive and it is not fixed...tells me not much more they can do today. Bring it in 2 weeks for an appt...so i am just supposed to drive around listening to trunk door and glass rattle the whole time i am driving for 2 weeks. sitting in the trunk i can literally see the trunk door shaking.
anyone else have this problem???

Just picked up my new Y on 7/21...very next day all i hear is loud rattle and glass shaking while driving on any bumps or even semi bumpy road (any non highway). It is just continuous and does not stop. Took it to shop today...tech spends 10 minutes and says it fixed. We take it for a drive and it is not fixed...tells me not much more they can do today. Bring it in 2 weeks for an appt...so i am just supposed to drive around listening to trunk door and glass rattle the whole time i am driving for 2 weeks. sitting in the trunk i can literally see the trunk door shaking.
Try this hatch adjustment - sounds like that might be your problem. If you search there are also video's to help.

My MY had the unbearable deep buffeting that the MS had (and likely solution)

I think I fixed the problem.

The sound seems to come from these things.

View attachment 647334

I ordered small paint sponge and inserted them inside like this.

View attachment 647335

So far, it seems the noise disappears. I need to drive more to confirm but that seems to get better.

I am still super disappointed by Tesla approach to attempt to charge their customers for cars having weird problems. I chatted with another Model Y owner in my resident and he had a lot of issues too (even refused first delivery) and the same service center fixed everything for free for him (rattles, vibrations, small paint chips, etc). The willingness to fix issues seems totally arbitrary and random. Having two cybertrucks orders, I am not sure I will take delivery - at least not after waiting a year or two so that issues are properly addressed.
Apology for reviving this older thread as my this rattle issue is starting to bug me on my August 2020 build Y, and I would like to tackle it. Thanks for all the pics and discussion as it helped me pinpoint to the exact same rattle on the far most rear passenger side.

Instead of stuffing in a sponge, I am thinking of taking the plastic piece out and install felt tape on the interior of the plastic piece as the majority of the rattle seems to be from the top part of the piece. Anyone happen to know if/how to take off the plastic piece? I took out my lower seat but don’t seem to be able to take the piece off - a metal piece seems to be in the way. Just wanted to check before I break anything 😊

Reactions: Stach
Apology for reviving this older thread as my this rattle issue is starting to bug me on my August 2020 build Y, and I would like to tackle it. Thanks for all the pics and discussion as it helped me pinpoint to the exact same rattle on the far most rear passenger side.

Instead of stuffing in a sponge, I am thinking of taking the plastic piece out and install felt tape on the interior of the plastic piece as the majority of the rattle seems to be from the top part of the piece. Anyone happen to know if/how to take off the plastic piece? I took out my lower seat but don’t seem to be able to take the piece off - a metal piece seems to be in the way. Just wanted to check before I break anything 😊
Update: in case this helps someone. I gave up taking off the plastic piece (I tried to slip in a long piece of felt, and the result doesn’t seem effective), and I ended up stuffing some thin packaging foam that I found. I cut roughly 2 piece of 2”x5” and stuff them into the plastic housing. One from the top (accessible after folding down the seat), one from the bottom where OP stuff his. With the 2 pieces of foam stuffed in, the plastic trim piece is now fairly secure (as it should) and the annoying rattle seems gone with a quick road test. Will keep an eye and report otherwise. Cheers for all the ideas!

Attachments

• 8426EF00-05F0-4AF1-A4D2-25B5AAA17565.jpeg
    8426EF00-05F0-4AF1-A4D2-25B5AAA17565.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 3,512
Update: in case this helps someone. I gave up taking off the plastic piece (I tried to slip in a long piece of felt, and the result doesn’t seem effective), and I ended up stuffing some thin packaging foam that I found. I cut roughly 2 piece of 2”x5” and stuff them into the plastic housing. One from the top (accessible after folding down the seat), one from the bottom where OP stuff his. With the 2 pieces of foam stuffed in, the plastic trim piece is now fairly secure (as it should) and the annoying rattle seems gone with a quick road test. Will keep an eye and report otherwise. Cheers for all the ideas!
I’m finding it difficult to orient myself on the photo. Can you describe in any more detail?

I’m finding it difficult to orient myself on the photo. Can you describe in any more detail?
Check out the photos in post #19. For the foam that I stuffed on top, I forgot to mention that I also took off the back piece of the seat. With that taken off, you should have access to both the top and bottom of the plastic piece that @juli1 circled.

I suggest that you first try wiggle the plastic piece to see if it felt loose first. If it isn't, then you probably don't have to do anything about it. For mine, only the left-most (near the passenger side rear door) piece felt loose. I didn't 'treat' other plastic pieces.

Check out the photos in post #19. For the foam that I stuffed on top, I forgot to mention that I also took off the back piece of the seat. With that taken off, you should have access to both the top and bottom of the plastic piece that @juli1 circled.

I suggest that you first try wiggle the plastic piece to see if it felt loose first. If it isn't, then you probably don't have to do anything about it. For mine, only the left-most (near the passenger side rear door) piece felt loose. I didn't 'treat' other plastic pieces.
Both sides wiggle a bit. What do you mean by taking off the back seat?

Both sides wiggle a bit. What do you mean by taking off the back seat?
I took out the fabric cover/plate of the seat (I only did this for the passenger side). The back plate on the passenger side is basically just held on by some plastic clips…. Check out Parts Catalog to get an idea what it looks like. Once you have done it once it is super easy. Also, it doesn’t sound like OP did what I described so the need to stuff some sponge from the top is probably situational. You could also try to see if Tesla service can assist (though I didn’t… too lazy to go through support). Good luck!

Is a potential $124 charge really putting you off from fixing your $60,000 car?

Any time I've made an appointment there was some $ charge they assigned. Its always been covered and I haven't paid out of pocket once.

That being said: A car is a car and your Tesla is just another car. If you're not messing around with proprietary electronics or SW then it's basically the same as any other car. If anything, its even easier since there's a vast Tesla community and M3 has been out for years so virtually everything is known. MY is basically the same as M3.
60k car or 1k car, if there is a problem in the car from factory i would not pay a single euro. Its not fair to consumers. I would hire a lawyer and sue tesla for it.

Did you get this resolved ?

Have to admit I was driving MY for 18K with no major issues or sounds.
Now I have 3 different ones:
- on really rough road break pedal vibrates and makes metallic sound - Tesla didn't do anything about it, completely ignored
- front Passenger seat when no one sits there makes some ticking sound - Tesla tightened bolts to specs, but nothing is solved
- and the most annoying one non stop on any road is coming from back seat, exactly like in the video - Tesla mumbled something about seat belts, that is not the case, since that sound comes whether you drive it alone or people seat there and it is not the buckle hitting the plastic.

Rear seat rattle started after I folded rear seat couple times for trips where I needed a lot of loading space and now this sound is present on every damn drive.
To the point that my daughter who loves the car doesn't want to ride in it, since she sits and listens to that rattle non stop. Especially on long trips.

The noise might be coming from the very rear of the car, where the glass meets the plastic above where the rear speakers are. The Loveland, CO SC fixed my rattle by working in the area. On the outside of the car, push on car above where the spoiler is located and the glass...and see if it make any noise.