Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Read doors chips damage - Repair

sardox

Oct 14, 2020
Portland, OR
After 20k miles Model Y rear doors look like that:
1626298296188.png

A bit too late, but decided to install Model Y Paint Protection Film (Model Y Paint Protection Film), but first I had to do something with damaged paint.

In attempt of avoiding expensive door re-painting tried Tesla paint repair kit ($55 Paint Repair Kit)
Applied paint all over the area with squeegee, waited couple minutes, used blending solution from kit to remove excessive paint. Repeat 3 times.

1626298956541.png

After cleanup with blending solution

1626298995519.png

Final result
1626299022324.png

Its not perfect and won't replace proper repainting, but hope someone would find it useful to save some $ or who simply likes DIY

Mike_TV

Apr 29, 2020
Chicagoland
Looks really good via your photos. I noticed some very small chips when I put on the $50 Tesla PPF this spring and thought about repairing the paint beforehand. Your example gives me a good idea on what's involved if/when I replace the PPF down the road.

Also, from the videos I've seen the Tesla supplied touch up kit is similar or identical to Dr ColorChip which has kits with the base paint, blender agent, squeegee method.

Reactions: sardox

Kuro Houou

Feb 15, 2020
USA
I'd say you did a great job. Do you have any larger pics these are a bit small.. really curious to see just how well the paint touchup worked. I have PPF on my car but even that is starting to get worn down in this area, might have to go for a thicker PPF.

Reactions: jpfive and sardox

Celeritas

Jun 25, 2017
Chicago
Looks really good via your photos. I noticed some very small chips when I put on the $50 Tesla PPF this spring and thought about repairing the paint beforehand. Your example gives me a good idea on what's involved if/when I replace the PPF down the road.

Also, from the videos I've seen the Tesla supplied touch up kit is similar or identical to Dr ColorChip which has kits with the base paint, blender agent, squeegee method.
Dr. Color Chip is awesome, used on plenty of other cars, I'm sure I'll need it for this one - haha

Reactions: sardox

sardox

Oct 14, 2020
Portland, OR
Actually last coat I did without blending solution - used car polisher to buff excessive paint out, means blending solution don't touch paint inside chips

Last edited:

ucsdsig

Sep 10, 2016
Los Angeles
Is there any aftermarket option as on the tesla site it is out of stock.

Reactions: vvkp

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC