Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y real world winter range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sort of range are people who picked up their model Ys in the last couple of weeks getting? I roughly calculated that on my 200 mile journey back from Southampton last Saturday I pretty much exhausted 100% battery. I started on 80%, got to supercharger on 20% then charged back to 60% and had 23% when I got home. This is well below the advertised range, I appreciate it was at most 5°c, the battery preconditioned for the supercharger, I had heated seat on 1 bar all the way home and wasn’t afraid to test the acceleration. The roads were pretty much all 70 mph. But I’d have expected at least 250 miles. Is this achievable for motorway driving in the winter?
I have a 320 mile round trip to make on Monday, hoping that I can get a charger parking space at the office for 5-6 hours at 7.5kwh and do the whole trip without needing to stop at a supercharger. Particularly as I’d probably have to stop on the way if the range is only 200 miles as I can’t guarantee I’ll get a charging spot at the office and it’s over 200 miles to the office and back to the supercharger

What sort of range are people who picked up their model Ys in the last couple of weeks getting? I roughly calculated that on my 200 mile journey back from Southampton last Saturday I pretty much exhausted 100% battery. I started on 80%, got to supercharger on 20% then charged back to 60% and had 23% when I got home. This is well below the advertised range, I appreciate it was at most 5°c, the battery preconditioned for the supercharger, I had heated seat on 1 bar all the way home and wasn’t afraid to test the acceleration. The roads were pretty much all 70 mph. But I’d have expected at least 250 miles. Is this achievable for motorway driving in the winter?
I have a 320 mile round trip to make on Monday, hoping that I can get a charger parking space at the office for 5-6 hours at 7.5kwh and do the whole trip without needing to stop at a supercharger. Particularly as I’d probably have to stop on the way if the range is only 200 miles as I can’t guarantee I’ll get a charging spot at the office and it’s over 200 miles to the office and back to the supercharger
I was disappointed the first trip of 215 miles and couldn’t make it with a fully charged 320 range. 2nd time I made the trip, I kept the speed down to 65-70 mph and watched the acceleration. Made a difference but still disappointed.

It’s cold right now, and windy. That doesn’t sound massively off considering you were giving it some right pedal too. Preconditioning can use a lot of energy, sometimes it’s best to not let it precondition unless you really need a quick charging stop to be somewhere.

What was your Wh/mi for the trip?

It’s cold right now, and windy. That doesn’t sound massively off considering you were giving it some right pedal too. Preconditioning can use a lot of energy, sometimes it’s best to not let it precondition unless you really need a quick charging stop to be somewhere.

What was your Wh/mi for the trip?
Coming at it from a pre-heatpump model 3 POV (rated as 310 miles) -
  • In summer I can reliably get 3x battery % (ie almost 300 miles from 100%)
  • In winter, in sub zero temps, snow and wind and after pre-heating before leaving, I work to a worst case of 2x battery, (ie 200 miles) but usually beat that by enough margin not to worry.
Your Y's should be better than that in the winter - you should be able to get % x 2.5? Use Cruise/AP and pre-heat and you should see around 250 miles. If the car is new and you are still 'playing' with the zoom peddle, then for critical/on the edge trips consider chill mode (I really dislike driving in chill, but it does work). Its never made a difference to me as I've never been right on the edge of my range to the extent people have said, but the difference between 70 and 80, especially into a headwind can be quite significant - more so in the Y as you have more frontal area.

Pre-heating for a while from the mains makes a huge difference as you are otherwise pouring 5% of your battery into just getting the cabin up to temp.

• Informative
Reactions: Casss
Thumbs up for pre-heating from mains, well worthwhile 👍

Depends on when you do it and at what price.

If you pre heat in the morning, its normally much high carbon impact than taking it from the battery which was charged at a more appropriate time.

And that's before looking at the energy price. 30p vs 7.5p for us now (was 14p vs 5p), so for those with of peak tariffs, potentially 3 x the cost if not more.

Only worth doing from the mains if you desperately need the range.

1646386813779.png

Depends on when you do it and at what price.

If you pre heat in the morning, its normally much high carbon impact than taking it from the battery which was charged at a more appropriate time.

And that's before looking at the energy price. 30p vs 7.5p for us now (was 14p vs 5p), so for those with of peak tariffs, potentially 3 x the cost if not more.

Only worth doing from the mains if you desperately need the range.

View attachment 776579
definitely worth considering, but from the posts above, it does sound like people are on the edge of their range (not necessarily the car's)
wasn’t afraid to test the acceleration
wink wink.

@olej24 - have a play on a better route planner with temps and headwinds configured and it should give you a very accurate prediction for your trip on Monday. Worst case, stop at the SC on the way and nip in for bog halt, even 5 mins might give you the confidence. Once you have done the trip once you will get a feel for whether you really need the stop or not, but 5 minutes sacrificed to not be worrying all day might be worth it this early in your ownership?

Remember, if you are a late and need to travel fast, you are better going faster and charging the bottom half of the battery more often to make overall progress. At least tested by the Germans on the Autobahn.

I was disappointed the first trip of 215 miles and couldn’t make it with a fully charged 320 range. 2nd time I made the trip, I kept the speed down to 65-70 mph and watched the acceleration. Made a difference but still disappointed.
Winter range is discussed fully (Model Y no different) in several threads with all aspects comprehensively covered. WLTP is what has to be quoted but as with ICE fuel consumption it's a challenge to achieve in real life conditions, especially on motorways and in cold windy weather. In some exceptional cases on slower roads you will see the WLTP range but don't plan any journey's on that basis. Don't go all-out trying to avoid Supercharger stops on longer motorway trips unless there's really no option. Stops are usually short and can even result in a quicker total journey time on occasion (you can drive quicker and without worrying about making it in one go).

Reactions: init6
For those new to EV's toggling the heater off is a biggie and well known user of battery life. In my pre-heatpump M3 toggling the heater saves lots of battery it's closer (but not quite) to my summer range that way just need a quick few mins of heat on to clear the windscreen every now and then if i've been breathing heavy lol!

Winter range is discussed fully (Model Y no different) in several threads with all aspects comprehensively covered. WLTP is what has to be quoted but as with ICE fuel consumption it's a challenge to achieve in real life conditions, especially on motorways and in cold windy weather. In some exceptional cases on slower roads you will see the WLTP range but don't plan any journey's on that basis. Don't go all-out trying to avoid Supercharger stops on longer motorway trips unless there's really no option. Stops are usually short and can even result in a quicker total journey time on occasion (you can drive quicker and without worrying about making it in one go).
One thing I would add about SC stops - because the car is plugged in from arrival to leaving, its actually charging the whole time you are walking to the amenities, using them, buying a takeaway (if thats your thing) and walking back. Car door to car door that can easily be 10 - 15 minutes which on a v3 SC could add 150 miles in that time. If you were previously on the edge of making a trip, you now have masses of spare range, don't need to hit 100% before leaving in the morning and are generally more relaxed.

In clement weather (20degC+, not much wind) on a quiet motorway, at the speed limit I can see very close to my rated 310 miles. Of course on an empty motorway this gets very dull, but thanks autopilot! Heading north up A roads which are increasingly being held to 50mph I can match the 300 miles with a full car and bikes on the back. Waaaay up north on single track roads I've seen predictions of 400 miles + from the car, but that is going slow and smooth due to sensitive passengers :/

Finally, don't be afraid about going below 20%. Worst case that is still 40-60 miles weather dependant, and its much more accurate and reliable than a petrol gauge. It starts to reduce power from 20% down, but you still have plenty of juice if its needed for an overtake. I'd never -aim- to arrive home with less than 5% left, but I wouldn't be worried if I did. Just try not to do it too often.

Reactions: Adopado
For those new to EV's toggling the heater off is a biggie and well known user of battery life. In my pre-heatpump M3 toggling the heater saves lots of battery it's closer (but not quite) to my summer range that way just need a quick few mins of heat on to clear the windscreen every now and then if i've been breathing heavy lol!
But you shouldn't have to be uncomfortable to get to your destination (unless its an emergency). This is the kind of stuff that will put people off.

Weirdly I've spoken to people that insist that range must be 600 miles without stopping (like their diesels), but my bladder looks at that and screams. Maybe I drink too much caffeine. That's 8.5hr of motorway driving without a stop for input or output, and they honestly won't hear otherwise.

But you shouldn't have to be uncomfortable to get to your destination (unless its an emergency). This is the kind of stuff that will put people off.

Weirdly I've spoken to people that insist that range must be 600 miles without stopping (like their diesels), but my bladder looks at that and screams. Maybe I drink too much caffeine. That's 8.5hr of motorway driving without a stop for input or output, and they honestly won't hear otherwise.
For me it’s not wanting to go 500 or 600 miles in one sitting but rather having the ability and freedom to go places where there just isn’t charging or super slow level 2 charging at 6-7 kWh or less. Kinda limits where you can go and yeah that’s part of EV life but having the extra range means you can go enjoy an afternoon and not worry about finding an open charger in a place that only has a single clipper or even a wall outlet. Having that extra range may be the thing that gets you to the next destination charger in remote areas. Not everyone lives in California.

For me it’s not wanting to go 500 or 600 miles in one sitting but rather having the ability and freedom to go places where there just isn’t charging or super slow level 2 charging at 6-7 kWh or less. Kinda limits where you can go and yeah that’s part of EV life but having the extra range means you can go enjoy an afternoon and not worry about finding an open charger in a place that only has a single clipper or even a wall outlet. Having that extra range may be the thing that gets you to the next destination charger in remote areas. Not everyone lives in California.
Fair point, although this was kicked off from a UK POV and 600 miles is all of our country (as the crow flies)! (although there are areas of Wales where there is bugger all in the way of fast chargers).

Key for me is that as an average family with kids, we can drive for 2hr, toilet stop, drive for 2hr, food stop, and this pattern is maintainable across the whole of Europe to any destination.

Sorry, I feel like I've taken this waay off topic, again.

Once there are reliable fast chargers on all motorway services I do think EV range will be far less significant. Just pull in and charge as you would top up with fuel if low.

However at the moment I still plan long trips and charging stops with ABRP so that we don't go miles out of the way to supercharge, and try to link the charging stop with a meal\toilet break as Avendit says.

Drive - stop\break\charge - drive works really well, unless we need an unexpected toilet stop where there is no charging. Drive - stop\break - drive - stop\charge - drive wastes time. Either more charger locations or a longer range would remove the need for that 2nd stop. (The children going to the loo before we head off would help too! )

Back to the MY winter range, I would assume 2 miles to 1% to be safe (like the older M3 with a similar WLTP range), but I'd love a new MY owner to update this with real world Wh/mi and range experience.

Personally I just keep as much juice as I can in the car at all times from off-peak, night-time charging. Any other usage is about convenience first and foremost with a view to the specific journey.

Reactions: Avendit
Fair point, although this was kicked off from a UK POV and 600 miles is all of our country (as the crow flies)! (although there are areas of Wales where there is bugger all in the way of fast chargers).

Key for me is that as an average family with kids, we can drive for 2hr, toilet stop, drive for 2hr, food stop, and this pattern is maintainable across the whole of Europe to any destination.

Sorry, I feel like I've taken this waay off topic, again.
Yeah sorry I sort by new and can’t always tell, lol.

Reactions: init6 and Avendit