Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear bench creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lord Farquad

2022 MYLR W/B/20s/Tow bar. Previously 2021 M3SR+
Aug 20, 2021
North West
My Q4 MYLR has an annoying creaking sound (not suspension) from the rear. Having a poke around it appears the rear seat bench and the trim in the rear footwell is making the noise. It seems to be when the car twists/rolls and the stereo does drown it out (so it’s not catastrophic).

Anyone else had this (before I call a ranger out)?

Q4 delivery as well. I do get some sounds from the back when driving, which I had put down to the bags for life in the boot, or charger cable stowed in the underneath boot section. It could be from the back seat as you describe. Let us know how you get on.

Will do. I emptied the boot to check it wasn’t anything like that. It’s definitely something rubbing against something else. I could swear it wasn’t there the first few drives, so something clearly loosened up and began the issue.

My Q3 YLR is also very creaky especially at low speed , my next job was to empty the bags for life and get the wife to drive it while I'm sat in the back. I've done 5k miles and feel it's getting worse so it may require a service appointment.
I have this. Also 5k. I already did the sitting in the back thing. Actually folded the seat down and slid into the boot. Pushing up on the boot lid was the only thing that stopped it. Seems to be the boot lid twisting over bumps but still can't figure out what exactly it is or how to stop it.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Can you post a picture of what you’ve done?
Hi, here’s a picture (for illustration purposes) I put a bit of foam around the latch bar to pack it while in the latch. Seems to have done the trick. From reading this forum there are many, many reasons for rear seat/boot rattles. I could well have other rattles in the boot, but this does seem to have sorted the rear seat issue for me.
1DCB47A2-3E52-4534-BC3C-A88754B6F1A0.jpeg

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Mine has also developed a few too many creaks, mostly coming from the rear suspension so I’ve booked a service appointment to get that looked into. Not sure if they can address all the other creaks that are coming from elsewhere, I suspect from the casings (not sure when to call them exactly) around the boot door and some now coming from the rear passenger doors. I do blast my music which mostly blocks it out but sometimes I do drive in silence which is then not so silent with all the creaking going on behind my ears. My driver seat also has a massive creak (passenger front doesn’t) which I’m hoping they also sort.

Anyone else taken their in to sort out similar creaks?

Hi, here’s a picture (for illustration purposes) I put a bit of foam around the latch bar to pack it while in the latch. Seems to have done the trick. From reading this forum there are many, many reasons for rear seat/boot rattles. I could well have other rattles in the boot, but this does seem to have sorted the rear seat issue for me.View attachment 916846
I had to do that on my MY22 Q3 as well. I used black electrical tape on mine, but that seems to do the trick as well.

Anyone got theirs sorted yet. Mine is getting worse so thinking of booking it in for a service visit.
which one do you think you have? bench or boot lid. I have the boot lid creak. I have not been able to find the source. All I have established is that if you lie in the boot while it is being driven and press up on either side of the boot lid it stops. There are 4 adjustable "stops" on the boot lid. I have been meaning to try adjusting them to see if it helps.

Anyone got theirs sorted yet. Mine is getting worse so thinking of booking it in for a service visit.
I took mine in for a service. They seemed to have fixed the issue at the back, but after a while of travelling on the rough terrains that are London streets, the creaking has come back again! I don't know what they did to temporarily fix the creak in the back back (the creaking that happens when turning into a bump at an angle, where the car is twisting like @jonahjones mentions above), but it's certainly come back again.

I've got small creaks and rattles throughout the whole car now and it's really peeving me off.

The other creaks/rattles are coming from the various places, mostly door panels and the plastic lining around the roof (the ones with lighter shade material). Short of doing it myself (which i have no clue how to do so will have to invest time and effort), I don't know what else to do. Is there a service that can basically tape everything together properly?

Shames me to be thinking of that in a 55K car... I love it to pieces otherwise.

which one do you think you have? bench or boot lid. I have the boot lid creak. I have not been able to find the source. All I have established is that if you lie in the boot while it is being driven and press up on either side of the boot lid it stops. There are 4 adjustable "stops" on the boot lid. I have been meaning to try adjusting them to see if it helps.
I think I have this one too. Can hear it when blasting bassy music too.