Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Ended - Others Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model Y was Rear Ended yesterday. As with most people I am completely new to going through this. I have read a bunch of threads on TMC but figured it wouldn't be bad to start one for myself to see if people have advice or at least check me on the decisions I make along the way.

My Car: 2020 Model Y LR + FSD with 9,000 miles

What happened?
Was rear ended while stopping for another driver to turn. Car behind me didn't stop, probably hit at 45mph. Luckily no one was injured. The other driver admitted fault on scene and was given a citation. Air bags didn't deploy.
IMG_0755.jpg

What I have already done:
  • I have been in contact with my Insurance (Progressive) which also is the other Driver's Insurance Company. I am guessing this will make some things slightly more complicated as it won't really be my insurance vs their insurance. I indicated that I want to file a claim against the other driver's insurance and am waiting for a claim number (supposed to be today).
  • My car is at a Tesla Approved Body Shop. They indicated to me that Progressive will do an assessment and they would not, reason given is that Progressive wouldn't accept their assessment. I didn't push on this at the time, but this seems abnormal based on others experiences I have read. Should I be pushing for them to do an "independent" assessment?
What I am looking to do next:
  • Waiting on Assessment: I have no idea how to tell if the car is totaled (prior to assessment). It looks like in MN, where I am, the formula is Salvage + Repairs is at least 80% of car value. Tried looking at photos from other posts to make a guess and it looks about the same as some cars that were totaled and some that were not. Interested in others thoughts here, mostly for piece of mind.
  • Rental Car: From what I have read, because the other driver is at fault the rental car claim goes through their insurance. Further, it doesn't matter what the "Rental Policy" is on their policy, Insurance will have to cover the rental for the duration of the repair? Do people have experience with this through Progressive? Any advice?
  • Car Seats: I had two car seats in the car (unoccupied) when the accident happened. Looking around it looks like these should be covered as well. Anyone have experience here? (obviously small potatoes, but not sure if I should just go out an buy new ones for the impending rental car, or if there is a more complex process for replacing?)
  • Diminished Value Claim: This is obviously down the line a bit, but sounds like it can be a pain (especially with Progressive). Assuming the car isn't totaled do people have experience here with Progressive?
I am sure there will be more as I go. I appreciate everyone's help and advice, plus all of the good threads that already exist on here.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0764-2.jpg
    IMG_0764-2.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 303
New hatch, new quarter, bumper, if no frame damage probably like 15-20k
Thank you, appreciate the response. I forgot to mention this above, I had to move from one body shop branch to another because the first didn't do "structural" repairs. Even though they didn't do a full assessment, I assume "structural" would mean they at least think their could be frame damage. Will have to wait and see.

California here.

All carseats in any crash the insurance gives you a check to replace them, ANY accident.
Thanks!

The peculiar thing is the lower sill trim, see how it's separated from the underbody trim?
I assume you are referring to the below gap? Thanks for pointing that out. Obviously something moved during the crash, just a matter of if it was just the panes or the frame as well.

IMG_0764-circle.jpg

Just spoke to the insurance rep, she said shops are booking out to July to even intake the car. May not know what the damage is until then. The shop I went to didn't mention those types of delays, but we will see.

Also of note: to add some detail to one of my above questions. Insurance rep said that I need to submit photos from all sides of the carseats along with photos of the tags to get reimbursed. Will have to drive out to shop to pickup at some point.

Holy crap. Everyone's nightmare. No evaluation until July????? So sorry this happened to you.

AdamA817: Can you post more photos?
1) straight-on from the rear
2) where the hatch meets the roof
3) both sides of the car

It's impossible to see the full extent of the damage from the one body photo you posted.

Thank you, appreciate the response. I forgot to mention this above, I had to move from one body shop branch to another because the first didn't do "structural" repairs. Even though they didn't do a full assessment, I assume "structural" would mean they at least think their could be frame damage. Will have to wait and see.
Well, there is no frame and most modern cars are unibody, so I guess they don't get much business except for maybe pickup trucks!

Holy crap. Everyone's nightmare. No evaluation until July????? So sorry this happened to you.

AdamA817: Can you post more photos?
1) straight-on from the rear
2) where the hatch meets the roof
3) both sides of the car

It's impossible to see the full extent of the damage from the one body photo you posted.
Thank you, I just heard back from the Collision place that they will squeeze in the evaluation next week! Unfortunately, the car had to travel a bit to get to a Tesla Authorized Shop, so only have the pictures I took at the time (not exactly what you asked for). Unfortunately, part of not knowing what to do after an accident icludes not knowing the best photos to take. Added more here, when I get out there to grab stuff I will take more.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    870.2 KB · Views: 273
On the insurance front. Got official word that they found the other driver at fault. So should have a rental early next week. Progressive only does an "intermediate" car, but I petitioned for a small SUV as I am pretty tall and need to have space for kids in the back. Should hear back today on that.

Well, there is no frame and most modern cars are unibody, so I guess they don't get much business except for maybe pickup trucks!
Good point, used the wrong term. I am guessing structural damage in the rear would be to the rear casting?
unibody chassis have hard points and other points that need to be aligned when performing the "frame repair".
It will be interesting how much damage it took.

Aw man, sorry to see that! Did you take it to LaMettry's? I got rear ended last October and took it to LaMettry's in Inver Grove Heights. It took about 2 months to get a spot to bring the car in, then once they opened it up it was determined that there were structural damage and needed to go to their Chanhassen shop since Inver Grove Heights didn't do structural repairs. I kind of wish I took the car directly to Chanhassen or went to the other authorized repair center (Raymond) and maybe shave off some time from the repairs, but in the end they did a good job repairing my car.

My car ended up being in the shop for about a month and a half. I went through my insurance initially for the car rental, for which I had 30 days of coverage. Once that was up, the other insurance (All-State), which accepted 100% fault, covered the rest of the time but they had a super low daily rate so I ended up in a Kia Rio for 2 weeks.

As for diminished value, unfortunately as far as I know, based on the research I did for my own rear-ender, since the other driver has the same insurance company, you won't be able to get diminished value compensation.

Situations like this sucks and I feel your pain. Good thing you seem to be safe and hopefully your car will be brought back 100%. Good luck!

Aw man, sorry to see that! Did you take it to LaMettry's? I got rear ended last October and took it to LaMettry's in Inver Grove Heights. It took about 2 months to get a spot to bring the car in, then once they opened it up it was determined that there were structural damage and needed to go to their Chanhassen shop since Inver Grove Heights didn't do structural repairs. I kind of wish I took the car directly to Chanhassen or went to the other authorized repair center (Raymond) and maybe shave off some time from the repairs, but in the end they did a good job repairing my car.

My car ended up being in the shop for about a month and a half. I went through my insurance initially for the car rental, for which I had 30 days of coverage. Once that was up, the other insurance (All-State), which accepted 100% fault, covered the rest of the time but they had a super low daily rate so I ended up in a Kia Rio for 2 weeks.

As for diminished value, unfortunately as far as I know, based on the research I did for my own rear-ender, since the other driver has the same insurance company, you won't be able to get diminished value compensation.

Situations like this sucks and I feel your pain. Good thing you seem to be safe and hopefully your car will be brought back 100%. Good luck!
Sorry to hear about your accident. I did take it to LaMettry’s. It went to my local one first, but they immediately sent it to Eden Prairie (other option was Chanhassen) because it looked “structural”. Sounds like I am lucky that they got me in next week if it took you 2 months (that is horrible). We’re you able to drive yours after the accident? One of the reasons they gave for being able to squeeze me in was that my car is not drivable.

It sounds like with the rental car Progressive will cover me for the full time. I got them to upgrade me to a Full Size car so hopefully that will be good enough, for my kids to fit behind me. At 6’6” not 100% I would fit in a Kia Rio.

I am not looking forward to trying for Diminished Value. Sounds like it can be a pain (and to your point might just get flatly rejected). Assuming the car isn’t totaled, I will start researching that more to figure out what can be done. I think local comps will not be super easy in MN for damaged Tesla sales, we will see.

Thank you, I just heard back from the Collision place that they will squeeze in the evaluation next week! Unfortunately, the car had to travel a bit to get to a Tesla Authorized Shop, so only have the pictures I took at the time (not exactly what you asked for). Unfortunately, part of not knowing what to do after an accident icludes not knowing the best photos to take. Added more here, when I get out there to grab stuff I will take more.
Sorry to hear about the accident. I had similar collision but more damage. My MY 2020 got rear-ended on a FWY in CA; the impact was so high that my car bumped into the car ahead of me causing multiple collisions. Fortunately, I didn’t suffer any injuries. It’s an amazing car that sacrificed itself to protect me. The repair cost estimate came around 46K and my insurance company evaluated it to be total loss. So, they totaled the car and paid me the current car market value 75K. It was considered Not-At-Fault collision for me. It was disheartening for me to see my car RIP.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I did take it to LaMettry’s. It went to my local one first, but they immediately sent it to Eden Prairie (other option was Chanhassen) because it looked “structural”. Sounds like I am lucky that they got me in next week if it took you 2 months (that is horrible). We’re you able to drive yours after the accident? One of the reasons they gave for being able to squeeze me in was that my car is not drivable.

It sounds like with the rental car Progressive will cover me for the full time. I got them to upgrade me to a Full Size car so hopefully that will be good enough, for my kids to fit behind me. At 6’6” not 100% I would fit in a Kia Rio.

I am not looking forward to trying for Diminished Value. Sounds like it can be a pain (and to your point might just get flatly rejected). Assuming the car isn’t totaled, I will start researching that more to figure out what can be done. I think local comps will not be super easy in MN for damaged Tesla sales, we will see.
Mine was drivable so I drove around with the dented lift gate and bumper for 2 months. I guess that was better than being without the car.

That's good of them to get your evaluation in soon. Hopefully getting parts in won't be too terrible. At least you got insurance to upgrade your car. Driving the Rio sucked. :p