Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Seat comfort for 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
Our 2010 minivan is getting more expensive to fix and it seems like every time we bring it to service that want to charge us over 2,000 for some major repair like power steering etc. At least it feels that way. A simple oil change turns into a $1k service very often.

We're ready finally to become an all electric family. (I have a Leaf)

But... We have 3 kids ages 7 to 13.... And they're going to be tall very quick. (Tall family)

They're going to complain about being three across in the back seat I'm sure when used to the expanse of the minivan.

How's the back seat for long trips?

I was shocked to see that the rear hip space is less then the 3 at 50.6 inches! Is this true?

Tesla Model Y Features and Specs

That's barely more than my Leaf which has 50:

Used 2011 Nissan LEAF Features & Specs | Edmunds

The 3 says it has 52.4:

Tesla Model 3 Features and Specs

Crazy that the 3 has more hip room than Y.

Anyway. How's everyone's experience with three kids, teenagers, and adults in back seat?

I could wait for 7 seater too but it looks like cargo room will be nothing with that.

Reactions: jsight
Legroom is really good in the back of the MY. For taller kids,, you would likely have to keep the seats in the most vertical of the three positions or their heads would hit the cross beam instead of the head restraint in a rear end collision. Width may be an issue depending on how broad they get.

Reactions: Stach
The middle seat is not the same as the side seats. It is basically the bottom of the cup holder and is very firm and not comfortable. It can be tolerable for 10-15 minutes but after that it will be driving your kid nuts. I suggest a test drive before buying.

Hello,

Any tip to make the middle rear seat more confortable. I've got 2 teenagers and one 10 years old kid and I plan to buy a Model Y.

Thanks