Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Spoiler, Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a rear spoiler for my 2021 Model Y. Unfortunately already have a couple paint chips from exposed area so looking at the spoiler to cover as well as prevent happening again. I'm looking for recommendation on best spoiler (basic matte or matching gloss black to car). In my research, I noticed there are wide range of prices but they all seem to be applied the same or similar as far as I can tell. My major concern is the spoiler delaminating or eventually starting to come off and I don't want to overspend on something that will not last. Appreciate any input.
Thanks, Brian

buy a real carbon fiber one, they don't flex in the heat/cold and fall off. Clean the area with acetone then stick it on, and tape it down. When I applied mine, I started pulling the 3m tape cover off and stuck one side then slow pulled the tails I left with the tape and pushed the spoiler down as I went. If that make sense. There's a video out there floating around that shows what I'm talking about.

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TBZFY3J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edit: This guy isn't using a CF one however he's sticking it on like i was saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msicario
Upvote 0
Try our Model Y V2 Duckbill? use Blow-molding technic to produce, fit like a glove.
most importantly, im here to back our products, you could always dm us if you have any issue with them, i make things perfect for you.
AOSK MY Spoiler
I had a spoiler that was the same blow molded type. To hot here in Arizona it flexed and fell off. It’s also just wrapped/painted so if it gets scratched you see the white plastic below it and some cleaners will also remove the finish

Upvote 0
I have one from Tesmanian, but like you said I'm sure they are all the same. The newer "blow molded" typed seemed promising to have better fitment on the ends.

For what its worth, my spoiler is lifting in the corners. This spring/summer I plan to remount it, let the tape set, then seal the edges with some black sealant in hopes of helping keep it down.

Upvote 0
I went to RPM Tesla in late October 2021, and tried out both the matte and glossy carbon fiber Performance Plus spoiler (the rounded, not the V-style). I intended to get the matte (to match the black trim), but ended up liking the glossy finish much better, as it complemented my blue Model Y.

RPM Tesla installed it for me - they cleaned the area, put adhesive promoter, and then secured the spoiler with gorilla tape, which they asked me to keep on for a few days. The gorilla tape did leave a residue, but RPM was able to clean that all up quite easily.

While it's only been about four months, there is no indication of the spoiler lifting anywhere.

Upvote 1
I went to RPM Tesla in late October 2021, and tried out both the matte and glossy carbon fiber Performance Plus spoiler (the rounded, not the V-style). I intended to get the matte (to match the black trim), but ended up liking the glossy finish much better, as it complemented my blue Model Y.

RPM Tesla installed it for me - they cleaned the area, put adhesive promoter, and then secured the spoiler with gorilla tape, which they asked me to keep on for a few days. The gorilla tape did leave a residue, but RPM was able to clean that all up quite easily.

While it's only been about four months, there is no indication of the spoiler lifting anywhere.
How pronounce is the profile of the rounded ones in comparison to the V-style? Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
How pronounce is the profile of the rounded ones in comparison to the V-style? Thank you in advance.
First, while this was not your question, the performance plus has a more pronounced profile than the standard performance spoiler, although it seems to have the same round shape as the standard spoiler.

Second, I wasn't really considering the V-style, as I was looking for a spoiler that stood out more than the standard performance spoiler, but which still looked similar to the OEM style. For this reason, I felt like the V-style was a bit too sporty/stood out too much for this 40-something year old father of 3, and I didn't really take a close look at the V-style to compare.

With that said, I believe the V-style is essentially the same as the round style, with the difference being that the V-style is a bit more recessed at the middle, i.e., as if a portion of the middle of the spoiler has been cut off.

Upvote 0
First, while this was not your question, the performance plus has a more pronounced profile than the standard performance spoiler, although it seems to have the same round shape as the standard spoiler.

Second, I wasn't really considering the V-style, as I was looking for a spoiler that stood out more than the standard performance spoiler, but which still looked similar to the OEM style. For this reason, I felt like the V-style was a bit too sporty/stood out too much for this 40-something year old father of 3, and I didn't really take a close look at the V-style to compare.

With that said, I believe the V-style is essentially the same as the round style, with the difference being that the V-style is a bit more recessed at the middle, i.e., as if a portion of the middle of the spoiler has been cut off.
Thank you, JLOC. I am in the same demographic as you-father of two children, 40ish. I do fancy the more low profile look.

Does the performance plus have extra surface area to stick on to, or does it have the same sticking area as the OEM?

Upvote 0
Thank you, JLOC. I am in the same demographic as you-father of two children, 40ish. I do fancy the more low profile look.

Does the performance plus have extra surface area to stick on to, or does it have the same sticking area as the OEM?
Sorry - I wasn't really considering the OEM one (or RPM's "Performance Spoiler," which I was told was the same as the OEM one, and which the description indicates is the same size as OEM), so I don't know the answer to this question with 100% certainty.

However, if you look at the pictures on RPM's website, both the Performance/OEM and the Performance Plus seem to be the same width. Also, I suggest you watch the videos for both products (under the "Description" tab), which may give you a better idea of the size difference between the Performance/OEM and Performance Plus, as well as between the rounded Performance Plus v. the V-style Performance Plus.

In the installation videos, it appears that there is only one tab for the Performance/OEM spoiler, which suggests (to me), that it attaches to the trunk via one piece of 3M tape. For the video on the Performance Plus, there are two tabs, which suggests there are two pieces of 3M tape. The video also states the contact points for the Performance Plus are both on the top of the trunk (horizontal plane), and the back of the trunk (vertical plane).

To me, this suggests, the Performance Plus has extra surface area to stick onto. However, that's just my educated guess, so don't hold me to that.

Upvote 0
Sorry - I wasn't really considering the OEM one (or RPM's "Performance Spoiler," which I was told was the same as the OEM one, and which the description indicates is the same size as OEM), so I don't know the answer to this question with 100% certainty.

However, if you look at the pictures on RPM's website, both the Performance/OEM and the Performance Plus seem to be the same width. Also, I suggest you watch the videos for both products (under the "Description" tab), which may give you a better idea of the size difference between the Performance/OEM and Performance Plus, as well as between the rounded Performance Plus v. the V-style Performance Plus.

In the installation videos, it appears that there is only one tab for the Performance/OEM spoiler, which suggests (to me), that it attaches to the trunk via one piece of 3M tape. For the video on the Performance Plus, there are two tabs, which suggests there are two pieces of 3M tape. The video also states the contact points for the Performance Plus are both on the top of the trunk (horizontal plane), and the back of the trunk (vertical plane).

To me, this suggests, the Performance Plus has extra surface area to stick onto. However, that's just my educated guess, so don't hold me to that.
Yes, that is what I am thinking. I have the same terrain of thoughts about the performance plus. More than likely, that is what I will obtain. Thank you, JLOC.

Upvote 0
I had a spoiler that was the same blow molded type. To hot here in Arizona it flexed and fell off. It’s also just wrapped/painted so if it gets scratched you see the white plastic below it and some cleaners will also remove the finish
Because this is very similar to our old version, and as well the OEM version.
In the past, most of the spoilers on the market, including ours were mostly made out of injection molding, it tended to change its shape a little bit as time move along, for spoilers, a slight shape change could have a huge effect when its installed.
so a couple of months ago, we remade all of our moldings, and use blow-molding technic to produce them, even though the production cost is higher on our end and buyers might rarely notice this by the image when they choose spoilers online since the design is the same, but this new molding and technic to produce could make sure the shape of it won't change, and making our OEM spoiler and V2 duckbill spoiler fit like a glove.
and more importantly, I'm here to back our products, if any issue, always dm us here directly, i check this forum everyday, and i could make sure things goes perfect.

Upvote 0
In the past, most of the spoilers on the market, including ours were mostly made out of injection molding, it tended to change its shape a little bit as time move along, for spoilers, a slight shape change could have a huge effect when its installed.
so a couple of months ago, we remade all of our moldings, and use blow-molding technic to produce them, even though the production cost is higher on our end and buyers might rarely notice this by the image when they choose spoilers online since the design is the same, but this new molding and technic to produce could make sure the shape of it won't change, and making our OEM spoiler and V2 duckbill spoiler fit like a glove.
and more importantly, I'm here to back our products, if any issue, always dm us here directly, i check this forum everyday, and i could make sure things goes perfect.
good to know!

Upvote 0
Any plans in producing a MY rear spoiler in matching white color?

Upvote 0
Most come from the same few manufacturers, mostly chinese origin, just sold by several different retailers, online or brick&mortar.

None do anything truly aero, they're all just for looks. So pick your poison based on your style preferences.

You can pay any amount, high or low, but they're mostly the same. I paid 95 bucks on Amazon for one, works perfect, well fitting, adhesive tape was good.

Most all come pre-taped, and that's the wild card. 3M adhesive tape is the gold standard, and it's hard to tell what's been supplied is 3M or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0