Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Receives EPA-Rated 315 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Tesla Model Y received an official rating from the Environmental Protection Agency, with the Performance variant certified for 315 miles of range.

The rating for the “2020 Tesla Model Y Performance AWD” bests even Tesla’s target range, placing the Model Y’s efficiency ahead of all non-Tesla EVs on the market.

The Performance models of Tesla’s vehicles have usually had less range than the “Long Range” versions. So, it’s possible that Tesla’s Long Range all-wheel-drive Model Y could offer even more miles-per-charge.

“Due to continued engineering progress of the Model Y all-wheel drive (AWD), we have been able to increase its maximum EPA range to 315 miles, compared to our previous estimate of 280 miles,” Tesla said in its Q4 report. “This extends Model Y’s lead as the most energy-efficient electric SUV in the world.”

The Model Y also received an official efficiency rating of 121 MPGe for combined city and highway driving (129 MPGe in the city and 112 MPGe on the highway).

Production of the Model Y is officially under way and deliveries are expected to begin in March.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tesla Model Y received an official rating from the Environmental Protection Agency, with the Performance variant certified for 315 miles of range. The rating bests even Tesla’s target range, placing the Model Y’s efficiency ahead of all non-Tesla EVs on the market. “Due to continued engineering progress of the Model Y all-wheel drive (AWD),...
there seems to be some confusion on whether the entire lineup was certified or just the performance model. your post doesn't clear that up. any additional thoughts?

there seems to be some confusion on whether the entire lineup was certified or just the performance model. your post doesn't clear that up. any additional thoughts?

This is presumably the one with the 19" wheels since the range matches the website. Also note that the Tesla website is ONLY providing an "EPA Est" for the Performance with the 198" wheels. The other ranges are just estimates so nothing official there yet.

Data here on how this compares...

Definitely looks like the Model Y is going to be a lot lower range on the highway than Model 3, but no surprises there. It'll be interesting to find out how they justified the larger scalar of 0.756 rather than 0.7032. Maybe there is actually real motivation (heat pump?) - but they also use large values for some of the Model S line, so not holding my breath. Would be better to just do a 5-cycle test though.

This is presumably the one with the 19" wheels since the range matches the website. Also note that the Tesla website is ONLY providing an "EPA Est" for the Performance with the 198" wheels. The other ranges are just estimates so nothing official there yet.

Data here on how this compares...

Definitely looks like the Model Y is going to be a lot lower range on the highway than Model 3, but no surprises there. It'll be interesting to find out how they justified the larger scalar of 0.756 rather than 0.7032. Maybe there is actually real motivation (heat pump?) - but they also use large values for some of the Model S line, so not holding my breath. Would be better to just do a 5-cycle test though.

I doubt Tesla is BSsing on the range relative to their other offerings. That'd be a PR disaster. More likely they have significantly reduced the accessory load in the MY by more intelligently providing cabin/battery/motor thermal management, and by reducing or eliminating the dependency on a 12V accessory bus.

I might believe that MY will be harder to get rated range in ideal weather conditions and much closer to rated range than M3 in freezing conditions.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I doubt Tesla is BSsing on the range relative to their other offerings. That'd be a PR disaster. More likely they have significantly reduced the accessory load in the MY by more intelligently providing cabin/battery/motor thermal management, and by reducing or eliminating the dependency on a 12V accessory bus.

I might believe that MY will be harder to get rated range in ideal weather conditions and much closer to rated range than M3 in freezing conditions.

Sorry if this has already been asked or has an obvious answer, but will the model 3 aero wheels fit on the model y, and if so, will they give any additional range performance? I’ll be upgrading once my Model Y is available and contemplating keeping the aero wheels in the event that they increase the range for those long road trips.

Sorry if this has already been asked or has an obvious answer, but will the model 3 aero wheels fit on the model y, and if so, will they give any additional range performance? I’ll be upgrading once my Model Y is available and contemplating keeping the aero wheels in the event that they increase the range for those long road trips.

My understanding is that the Gemini 19" wheels are the appropriate aero wheels for the Model Y. 18" wheels won't fit the Performance brakes; no idea whether there would be other issues with them if that were not an issue. I personally don't know anything about the Model Y wheel offset or wheel width.

But in terms of benefits over the Gemini 19" - I would guess there is minimal benefit. Tesla's 315-mile configuration for the Model Y is likely highly aero optimized already (as you can tell by the projected 280-mile range for the Performance package).

My understanding is that the Gemini 19" wheels are the appropriate aero wheels for the Model Y. 18" wheels won't fit the Performance brakes; no idea whether there would be other issues with them if that were not an issue. I personally don't know anything about the Model Y wheel offset or wheel width.

But in terms of benefits over the Gemini 19" - I would guess there is minimal benefit. Tesla's 315-mile configuration for the Model Y is likely highly aero optimized already (as you can tell by the projected 280-mile range for the Performance package).

In theory, it should work, as the Model Y uses the same bolt pattern as the 3. But in practice, the Y's suspension, TPS, and range calculators are probably tuned for the bigger 255 tires instead of the 235's you'd find on the 3. Also, the wheel wells are massive compared to the 3. In my opinion, it'd look a little comical to have tiny tires with a vehicle roughly the size of an X.

That said, nothing's stopping you, but AlanSubie4Life is correct, there shouldn't be that much of a difference between the Aero and Gemini. In fact, the Gemini's actually have more sidewall than the Aeros (114mm vs 105mm) and should have the same aerodynamic properties normally found on a plastic cap mounted on a light alloy wheel.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life