Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y repaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla took my model y to fix paint issues from delivery to a body shop. Long story short I received it back and let’s just say I wasn’t pleased. I told Tesla I would like this taken to a new body shop but they insisted I bring it back to the same shop. I stop by along with the manager and regional manager to address my issues. Overspray on door handles, paint on my rear seat, inside of doors sanded rough and what I still believe is a bad paint job. We go over everything and they insure me they will make it right.

I picked my car back up this evening and after talking with the guys they had not repainted anything this time... all they did was wet sand the entire car. Well we never talked about this and it was never brought up but okay. Insides of the doors were fixed and paint was removed from rear seat. Door handles are not very pretty and the handle stickers are now ruined but $20 I can put aside. My biggest issue here is how the paint still looks from the first time they sprayed the car. It looks like an orange peel where the colors blend horribly. I have taken a few pictures trying to show you guys what I see. The shop tells me this is what the paint looks like but I still can’t honestly say I believe them..it looks like it was painted with a sponge..
A17D17C2-F36B-4836-B0D7-BFCC072ED10C.png
62C45AA6-78B6-4002-88A3-60B47D72DECA.jpeg
I understand this is a 3 layer paint job but something just doesn’t seem right here. When looking at the car it looks fine but the second you get close and look down on the paint this is how it appears.

I’m looking for some feedback here as this is what I wanted addressed by Tesla and the body shop. On top of it, the shop I wanted them to use they refused to do so and said we don’t deal with them anymore. I know the owner and he looked at my car and instantly said this car was not painted properly.

before you go into arbitration which Tesla requires, see if your car qualifies for a lemon law buyback, usually having been in service for at least 30 days, depending on your state.. the moment you use arbitration out of emotion but not qualifying for lemon law, the process will just waste your time and will side with Tesla.. if you’re short by a few days, get the car back in service for the same issue

before you go into arbitration which Tesla requires, see if your car qualifies for a lemon law buyback, usually having been in service for at least 30 days, depending on your state.. the moment you use arbitration out of emotion but not qualifying for lemon law, the process will just waste your time and will side with Tesla.. if you’re short by a few days, get the car back in service for the same issue
Does it need to be 30 consecutive days or 30 days in general? Cause they have had in for close to 60 days on 3 separate occasions

Thanks. It does check all boxes for a lemon.

but going this route I will not be able to get myself in another model y right?

you’ll wreck your relationship with your service center and may be prohibited from buying a Tesla but you can always try to purchase one using your significant other’s name and email address.. given your experience you’ll probably want to never interact with that service center anyway.. go for it, don’t agonize over the car anymore than needed, hope you get a better one or something else, and good luck