Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Repair Experience (Tesla Insurance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you see the side of a car, that is a hazard. Pay attention to it the whole time you see it. If it creeps forward you can hug the opposite side of your lane, if it continues to creep you HONK!, if it keeps creeping you honk brake (don't swerve) and hit them. Don't put yourself into a wall (a rock in this case) if its not your fault.
This completely sucks but it honestly looks like you panicked with a swerve and never corrected, thus impact with rock. I can't even say its the Ford Focus' fault because although they may have creeped forward a bit aggressively they did not get in your way. Don't hate me, I recently got T-Boned at an intersection so I completely understand how fast some incidents can occur. Good thing all are safe.

Repair Update:
Wanted to share an update; it has been 5 and a half months since the collision, the car has been at a Tesla-owned Service Center for the past month waiting on airbags to arrive. They quoted me ~7-10 business days for parts when they first got the car, and they send me daily updates that they're still waiting on parts.

Lesson Learned on B-Pillar Footage:
I also learned that Teslas sometimes record B-Pillar camera footage in severe collisions, and you can reach out to Tesla to retrieve the footage only for 72hr following your collision. The service center said that they're unable to pull this footage from the car's internal memory, and Tesla corporate checked twice but wasn't able to find any footage for me. I wish I had known this right after my collision, since the B-Pillar footage would've most likely captured the license plate of the car that fled the scene.

Tesla Insurance: The Crawco employee that was handling my case on behalf of Tesla Insurance is no longer working there, but there was no notice on her email inbox nor voicemail. My body shop had been emailing hew for a few weeks without response and then looped me in; I was able to reach her former manager who took over my case. To my surprise, he didn't have any records of her email inbox.

As an update 7 months in, the airbags and restraint systems are replaced (took the Tesla Service center 2.5 months due to airbag delivery delays, they also discovered additional damage one the airbags arrived and they began replacing them, it turns out the airbag explosion melted some wiring harness and also broke some plastic that wouldn’t have been visible until airbag replacement began. Tesla’s warehouse also sent the service center the wrong wiring harness initially).

Unfortunately the front-end fell in when the Service Center took the car on a test drive, causing a bunch of new damage. The car is back to being un-drivable.

The Body Shop claims that the parts than broke causing the front-end to fail weren’t damaged as part of my collision, the Tesla Service Center claims that they must have failed due to the collision. Tesla recommends getting another supplement for the new damage. They estimate that it would only take “a few weeks” for this repair to be done.

I’ve ordered a new Model Y at this point. I pushed on Tesla Insurance to total this vehicle because a 7+ Month repair is unreasonable, and I filed a complaint with the CA Insurance Commission. I feel that insurance can repair and sell this car if they wish, but they shouldn’t make me wait this long for a repair.

If insurance doesn’t total the vehicle, I’ll turn around and sell it whenever this nightmare repair is finished.

Sadly Tesla’s service center indicated that they can’t put me at the front of the line for a new order.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: superblast
Man stories like this make me want to have a spare Tesla on order just in case. Long (7 months!) wait for repairs only to then have to wait who knows how long for a new build.
It's not just Tesla, my daughter purchased a 2021 Hyundai Sonatas Hybrid in September. She had the car a few days less than 3 months when a driver in a MB made a u-turn from the right lane in front of her, claimed he didn't see her. The car has been in the shop for over 4 months and they are still waiting on body and front end parts from Hyundai. The body shop has no idea when they will be delivered.

• Informative
Reactions: DFibRL8R