Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y repair horror story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my 2021 MYP to a trusted, Tesla certified body shop to get the bumper and fender replaced / repaired. Car has been stuck at the shop for a month now waiting for more parts from Tesla (which was determined at teardown). Tesla then sent the wrong headlight and now the wait is "several weeks" for the correct part. My insurance covers me for 30 days of rental car coverage, so now I have to foot the bill for a rental as I wait and wait on Tesla to *hopefully* send the correct headlight, date still undetermined.

The accident was my fault. I have only 2-3" side to side clearance in my garage. But when Tesla Service came over to fix my faulty horn, he pulled the car up and over a parking curb and into a terrible position in the garage. I didn't realize he moved the car (never told me, even after I offered to move it for him). When I backed up, the tire was on the wrong side of the curb. I hit the accelerator a bit harder to get back over it, and managed to then crash into a support pole partially ripping off the bumper and damaging the fender (and headlight apparently). The whole situation really sucks and I'm really starting to get screwed now.

Lesson learned: I really should have waited and had the car repaired at Tesla directly instead of my approved body shop. I feel like this might have prioritized the parts I need, and maybe they would have helped me with a loaner for sending the wrong parts. Beware out there...

IMG_3212.jpg

It actually does! $1500 a month car is considered a premium/ luxury car. With premium/ luxury car, you expect to receive premium service just like all other manufactures ( eg. Porsche which I have one ) . With Tesla you don’t get good service, and you get a cheap quality car( interior) , bad customer service , lies about part shortages, in exchange for high battery capacity and auto drive. Tesla doesn’t think about retention now due to what I just mentioned. But customers like me won’t be retuning customers . Also, the $1500 is my monthly out of pocket for a car that I don’t have access to. So I am not sure what was my bad judgement other than buying Tesla to begin with.

But Chrysler has clear supply shortage issue. They are unable to produce same numbers of cars because of supply shortage. In the case of Tesla, Tesla clearly does not have the same issue! Don’t you think that if they did, they could not sell 120000 more cars? Tesla is incorrectly is blaming the delays to shortage of supplies and they can get away with it! They simply increased / shifted production from handling existing customers to selling new cars because they know that they can blame supply shortage.
Not following your logic. They don't have enough parts to over both car sales and repairs, which means they have a supply shortage just like everyone else. No way any car company sacrifices new car sales to prioritize repair parts, as repair is not a main profit generator (nor does the stock market care as much vs vehicle deliveries).

Last edited:
I disagree again. A short
Not following your logic. They don't have enough parts to over both car sales and repairs, which means they have a supply shortage just like everyone else. No way any car company sacrifices new car sales to prioritize repair parts, as repair is not a main profit generator (nor does the stock market care as much vs vehicle deliveries)

Yes a short sighted car company does the above just like you said. What you don’t realize that the key to long term success of all these car manufacturer has been customer retention. A company like Tesla sacrifices long term over short term .

Competition will drive Tesla to improve, just like any other car company. The fact is they can sell as many as they can produce with more orders than they can handle. When returning customers become an issue they’ll adapt and adjust to remain competitive. Rumors of their imminent demise are premature, people have very short memories and will buy what is the best available at the time at the price point they can afford. They’ve had no major issues like engine repairs, fires, etc… just minor quality issues they will overcome. Nothing for most to swear off the brand.

I disagree with some of the above comments. Tesla can simply reduce the number of cars that they sell so they can keep parts for the existing customers.
in Q1 2021 Tesla sold 180,000 cars . In Q1 2022 Tesla sold 310,000 cars. How come they dont have issue with their new cars ( yes, it takes longer for someone to receive a new Tesla but to me they should delay the delivery of new Tesla's even further ) so they can have parts for their existing customers. Clearly they dont care about the existing customers as much . I have a Tesla Model S 2021 paying $1500 a month which has been in the shop for 2 months because of a back order part . I really think that it is time to keep these companies accountable for such practices.
So are you upset because you opted for a large monthly payment, that you crashed your car, or that supply chain issues aren’t real because you paid more for your car? Lot of You issues here.

Reactions: nate704
I disagree again. A short

Yes a short sighted car company does the above just like you said. What you don’t realize that the key to long term success of all these car manufacturer has been customer retention. A company like Tesla sacrifices long term over short term .
If that is the case every car company is short sighted given all of them are having problems with supplying repair parts, and there is zero indication they have placed priority for repair parts over parts for new cars.

Competition will drive Tesla to improve, just like any other car company. The fact is they can sell as many as they can produce with more orders than they can handle. When returning customers become an issue they’ll adapt and adjust to remain competitive. Rumors of their imminent demise are premature, people have very short memories and will buy what is the best available at the time at the price point they can afford. They’ve had no major issues like engine repairs, fires, etc… just minor quality issues they will overcome. Nothing for most to swear off the brand.
Yes, we will see about that and you might be right here. The other car companies have separated their branding strategy eg toyita Lexus, Nissan Infiniti. .. Tesla can not just continue selling + $100k cars and treat customers this bad. I won’t be buying Tesla anymore for this reason and I am sure there are other car owners that feel the same way.

I am sure Tesla won't miss you at all. :cool:
BTW, 100+ year old legacy auto makers are struggling through the same issues while 10+ year old company outperforming on every metric. I am 100% sure that Tesla has no issue making profit selling cars to new and existing/returning customers.

It actually does! $1500 a month car is considered a premium/ luxury car. With premium/ luxury car, you expect to receive premium service just like all other manufactures ( eg. Porsche which I have one ) . With Tesla you don’t get good service, and you get a cheap quality car( interior) , bad customer service , lies about part shortages, in exchange for high battery capacity and auto drive. Tesla doesn’t think about retention now due to what I just mentioned. But customers like me won’t be retuning customers . Also, the $1500 is my monthly out of pocket for a car that I don’t have access to. So I am not sure what was my bad judgement other than buying Tesla to begin with.
I acknowledge how frustrating this is, especially based on how straightforward one would have expected the repairs to be.

I'm not sure how egregious Tesla sending the incorrect part is; one--because the correct part could have already had a multi-month wait and, two--the body shop could have made the error and just put the blame on Tesla. Second, this thread is full of posts saying similar things are happening to every other OEM and the moment, so I'm not seeing how this can be easily pinned as negligence or a deliberate oversight by Tesla.

Like I said, I get that it's very frustrating but for what it's worth, it seems like you're looking to take out your frustration on something specific--like Tesla when there are multiple reasons for the predicament you are in. Yourself, and potentially Tesla, included.

In the middle of the pandemic I had someone hit my rear corner and needed service. The parts arrived fine but the body-shops were full of vehicles with long waits for service and there were almost no rentals available. It was not ideal but there were too many factors for me to really get too worked up at anyone besides the person who hit me.....

I hope you don't have to wait much longer before you can get your vehicle back, for as long as you plan to keep it.

Reactions: nate704 and DanDi58