Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Reservation Transfer - how much premium to pay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An acquaintance of mine has a Model Y reservation from 2019 (White, LR, AWD, B&W interiors, FSD) with a delivery due date in Jan 2022. His reservation price is around 13K less than what Tesla charges for the same configuration today (5K extra for FSD and another 8K for base price increase). He paid 2500 towards the reservation back in Mar/Apr 2019.

He wants a 3K premium for what Tesla is charging right now since the current delivery times are at least six months from now. Assuming the transfer happens without any confusion or pain, what would be a good premium to pay? He is already making 13k due to the price increases so I was hoping he would just do it without any premium but I feel awkward asking for it. So if anyone can provide me some inputs as to
1. Should I do it? Is it worth taking the risk?
2. Assuming it is safe to do so and I don't put any money at stake and only give cashier's check to Tesla for ownership in my name, should I be paying a premium for the quick delivery? What should be the right premium for that? Should I even be paying since this acquaintance is already making 13K off of the reservation.

Thank you.

Just to give specifics of the pricing - the reservation price is 56.9K and the current price is 69.9K. He is asking for 72.9K. Also the delivery date is last week of Dec or first week of Jan so quick delivery is relatively quick compared to July 2022 - the current dates.

I would not pay a premium. You can order off the inventory at latest prices. Model Ys are being dumped daily because folks are delaying and demos are unloaded before end of quarter. And you can buy without FSD which can be added on later or subscribed to. See Discord channels. I bought my demo MYLR that way and then foolishly traded it for a Mach-E… lol.

If anything… ask for a discount IMO. He can buy the car himself and pay sales tax then flip it but he’d lose on the sales tax, fees, and registration.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
I would not pay a premium. You can order off the inventory at latest prices. Model Ys are being dumped daily because folks are delaying and demos are unloaded before end of quarter. And you can buy without FSD which can be added on later or subscribed to. See Discord channels. I bought my demo MYLR that way and then foolishly traded it for a Mach-E… lol.

If anything… ask for a discount IMO. He can buy the car himself and pay sales tax then flip it but he’d lose on the sales tax, fees, and registration.
That's a good point. I will drive to a Tesla showroom nearby and see if they have any demo stock or inventory stock in other locations... Thank you.

That's a good point. I will drive to a Tesla showroom nearby and see if they have any demo stock or inventory stock in other locations... Thank you.

Don’t bother with physical showrooms. Just watch the Discord channels

Dozens were dumped a few days ago.

The problem is, there are no inventory models and the earliest delivery date is in July 2022 and I don't want to wait that far.

MYP orders typically have two month delivery dates and sometimes just a month. There are folks also selling their MYLR reservations (without a $3K premium - often just splitting the new/old cost difference) since they don’t want to buy before the potential tax credit.

I’m actually letting go of a MYP reservation.

Just to give specifics of the pricing - the reservation price is 56.9K and the current price is 69.9K. He is asking for 72.9K. Also the delivery date is last week of Dec or first week of Jan so quick delivery is relatively quick compared to July 2022 - the current dates.
I can get you (as early as 6Dec) a Performance MY sitting in Las Vegas Tesla delivery center for $64K. Pay me $2.5K.

This is a 2022 MYP Black Black Tow No FSD (new today $67.9K EDD Feb 2022).

Or, you can buy my 2021 MY LR AWD
7 Seater Black Black Tow 19" Geminis No FSD (new today $65.9K EDD Jul 2022) for a lot less.

2000 miles now btw. Sep 2021 built.

And you still get up to $4K back from this new SCE rebate...starting 2 Dec for used EV.

Let me know.
I'm in 92585.

20211127_125802.jpg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: torifile and voxel
Are you going to be the first owner /title holder for the car? or your acquaintance taking the delivery by paying taxes, registration etc and then selling to you?

If he is flipping it for a profit, I am sure he will have to pay capital gain taxes too at tax time

Last edited:
Don’t bother with physical showrooms. Just watch the Discord channels

Dozens were dumped a few days ago.
Thank you. Can yupu
Your "friend" is a jerk IMHO. If I were in a similar position, you'd get the transfer for zero additional dollars and a "happy holidays" to boot.
That's an acquaintance so I am not expecting any favors from him. The difference is 13K so I don't expect him to give it all up for free. Someone in a different thread forwarded me a discord group where Model Ys are sold by Tesla that are demo versions. Basically people are paying 1k less for a demo car that has 2K miles on it. Sounded ridiculous - I would've expected bigger discount but it looks like either people lost it (myself included) or Tesla is crazy in getting away with it. Bottomline - when people are paying (current price - 1000) for a car with 2000 miles, I can't expect this guy to give me the car at (current price - 13000) and call it a day. I am thinking of asking for 3000 discount. He can make 10K and I can still get it for 3k cheaper and two months ahead of time.

Thank you. Can yupu

That's an acquaintance so I am not expecting any favors from him. The difference is 13K so I don't expect him to give it all up for free. Someone in a different thread forwarded me a discord group where Model Ys are sold by Tesla that are demo versions. Basically people are paying 1k less for a demo car that has 2K miles on it. Sounded ridiculous - I would've expected bigger discount but it looks like either people lost it (myself included) or Tesla is crazy in getting away with it. Bottomline - when people are paying (current price - 1000) for a car with 2000 miles, I can't expect this guy to give me the car at (current price - 13000) and call it a day. I am thinking of asking for 3000 discount. He can make 10K and I can still get it for 3k cheaper and two months ahead of time.
there are all kinds of articles that say it is highly risky because you pay them the money and they ghost you.