Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y review after Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, did your Ridgeline ever open all windows and sun roof on its own. Its a problem with the key Fob. It happened to me three times on the 2018 model. Once it rained in from the sun roof and got into the enclosure of the sensor by the rear view mirror. spent a few hours trying to drying out the enclosure.
Yes it did. I would notice it by whistle through the window. Never rained on me, but I would find the windows and roof slightly open pretty frequent.
Was pretty annoying actually. At some point wanted to go to dealer and disable that function completely. They can do it through computer.

Steering is Comfort/Standard/Sport -- "Chill" has to do with acceleration. There is more play in the wheel in "Comfort" and less in "Sport". I find that I switch between "Comfort" and "Standard" every now and then depending on how responsive the car is feeling and how my driving mood is.

As for Autopilot "jerking" the car when you engage it -- this is likely because you are not used to driving in the middle of the lane. You might think that you are driving in the middle or the lane but I'll bet that your perception is off. Autopilot will center you when you engage it. The more non-centered you are then the bigger the "jerk". If you use Autopilot enough you will learn what the center of the lane really looks like from the driver's seat. Once you start driving in the center of the lane you'll note that engaging Autopilot does not jerk you at all. Don't ask me how I know this...

As others have said the 20” rims make the ride much “sportier”, they also reduce your range (a lot!), wear out quicker, are more expensive to replace and are more easily damaged. Autopilot makes road trips WAY less stressful than in other vehicles. It takes some people a while to get comfortable with it, took me just a few days but took my parents about 10x that long.
Are you thinking about the 21" Uberturbines, perhaps?

Do you mean that after 6 months it did not bounce around as much?
Two things fix the bouncy suspension.
1. Time. About 6 months in and the suspension definitely softens up.
2. Different tires. Most of the loaners I see here in STL use the 20” induction wheels with Goodyear tires. 100% changing those tires fixed all my complaints with the jittery steering (felt kinda like driving a go cart) and rough suspension.

Over all I really liked the car and much of the reservations I had about it were overcome.
The overnight test drive in Houston consisted of a lengthy trip from extreme north side of Houston to extreme south side about an hour and a half each way. There was heavy traffic both ways consisting of overly aggressive lane changing, Mega pickup speeders, and slow industrial contractor type traffic vehicles. Surprisingly my return trip to south side in my "all the truck you need" Honda Ridgeline was more pleasant and less stressful.
I liked the model Y features, the screen controls were super, seats very comfortable, the cruise control worked great in stop and go, lane changing in auto pilot was excellent, There was very minimal sound penetration into the cabin from outside, cargo carrying capacity was quite adequate, and there was no wind noise at highway speeds. Tesla did a good job correcting the noise problem from a year ago.
CONS:
No Blind spot monitoring alert, other than the blaring horn of the adjacent driver you almost ran off the road.
Steering at highways speeds over small imperfections and bumps in the highway was stressful. One had to make slight micro motions in the steering wheel constantly.
Suspension: those small imperfections in the roadway was jarring and bouncing, keep a firm grip the wheel, don't let it move around as the car is bouncing. Trying to make a change on the screen could not be done, unable to touch the correct spot on the screen which kept moving around.
The auto steer could not be trusted because it occasionally jerked the car from side to side. This occasionally happens when initiating "Auto Steer". Maybe one could get used to it if you knew it was not going to throw you into the other lane.
This Tesla was a performance model Y. I don't know if suspension and steering is different on a Model Y long range that I ordered.
Realizing this post is too long, I'll ask questions and what can be done about these cons separately.
1) please always look before you change lanes regardless of the car. Motorcycles and bicycles can be missed even with the best computerized systems. We really need people to look!
2) The sport steering setting is much, much tighter. You might prefer it, as I do.
3) Our MY LR has great suspension. Honestly doesn't feel remotely harsh and we have the 20" wheels. This is subjective to a certain extent, obviously, but even our 85 year old friend found it great when he was in our back seat last week.
4) voice commands are the way to go when you're driving. I also use siri on my phone. Yes, it would be great if there was CarPlay, but the bluetooth connection works as well as it did on our Prius.
5) Autosteer definitely takes getting used to, in part because it centers you in any lane (and sometimes the lane is wider than normal, such as when it's a merge of two lanes). I'm finding that I only use Autosteer and Autopilot when I'm in heavy traffic. At regular highway speeds, the cruise control is good enough and Autopilot makes me nervous (plus can't use it over 75mph). Have only had the car for two weeks, so certainly I'll get used to it over time.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Trip McNealy
My dad told me his 2019 Toyota Avalon had very harsh ride (stiff suspension and low profile tires, etc) when he first bought the car. I went over to his house and test drove it and it was literally a moving couch that you can't even feel anything while driving.
So, this is 100% personal perception and tolerance type of thing that you cannot define the true characteristics of the vehicle until you drive one.

My dad told me his 2019 Toyota Avalon had very harsh ride (stiff suspension and low profile tires, etc) when he first bought the car. I went over to his house and test drove it and it was literally a moving couch that you can't even feel anything while driving.
So, this is 100% personal perception and tolerance type of thing that you cannot define the true characteristics of the vehicle until you drive one.
Ha ha! So true. I thought the Mach-E was like a couch when I test drove it yet some people love it! So subjective.

As for Autopilot "jerking" the car when you engage it -- this is likely because you are not used to driving in the middle of the lane. You might think that you are driving in the middle or the lane but I'll bet that your perception is off. Autopilot will center you when you engage it. The more non-centered you are then the bigger the "jerk". If you use Autopilot enough you will learn what the center of the lane really looks like from the driver's seat. Once you start driving in the center of the lane you'll note that engaging Autopilot does not jerk you at all. Don't ask me how I know this...
I had the jerking problem at first as well but someone on the forum mentioned that the screen will help you determine if you're centered. I was shocked by how much I was favoring the left side of the lane initially.

Reactions: RidgeRunner
Yeah, we took a LR with 20" rims on an extended drive two weekends ago. My wife driving, about 0.1 miles out of the dealership she finds the first set of potholes (which admittedly is not hard in and around Philadelphia, but my wife, oh, she has a special gift of finding and hitting them all). Anyways, I typically cringe in those situations. She's used to it and looks over at me, anticipating that I'm going to say something. My only response was, wow, this thing is so smooth over the potholes. And that's how it felt for the rest of the weekend. Her current car is a Volvo S60 for comparison. The SA told me that the LR with standard 19" wheels that we ordered would be even softer -- happy to hear!
Do the two of you have any trouble when switching cars going from Tesla to Volvo or Volvo to Tesla with getting used to the differences in the way they drive. It would go like this: "Darn near ran that stop sign, I was used to to the regenerative breaking and didn't think to apply the brakes." Perhaps the mind adjusts automatically, I don't know. Which car do you prefer to drive?

Reactions: Deutsch100