Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y review from an mechanical and software engineer's standpoint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

First post here on this forum.

Never owned a Tesla before but owned 2 Toyota hybrids at the same time (Prius and Camry) then 2 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs at the same time (2014 and then later a 2019 model) which are EV around town, petrol parallel mode on highway. Sold the oldest PHEV and bought a model Y RWD here on the Mid North coast of NSW (first one I have seen around here in the area although see Model 3s ). I didn't want to go back to a low ground clearance car, been there done that in the Prius, so hence I waited for the Y to be released here down under. Could not justify the money on buying a Model X for my first pure EV and just love that SUV style in my life these days. Now in my previous experiences of being lucky enough own or drive some cars that are I think considered premium like BMW or Mercedes as well as owning Holden, Ford, Honda, Subaru etc in my business or personally.

So Tesla Model Y review. IMHO a reasonably good car but defiantly not perfect but I have never driven what I consider a "perfect" car. All cars I think have there nuances that take time to get used to. Things I am still trying to get used on the Model Y after 2 weeks of ownership :

Turn signal stalk back on the left hand side like some other European cars I have owned or driven. A pet hate of mine that cars coming into Australia aren't standardised. I regularly drive different cars and having that turn signal stalk going from right to left depending on brands is really distracting and could even be considered a safety issue IMO. Tesla using the right hand side stalk to engage Reverse at slow speed make it worse than just accidently hitting your wiper stalk on other brand cars.

Occasional unnecessary braking on adaptive cruise control. Owned or driven plenty of other cars that don't do this that used radar based solutions. Hope to see this improved soon.

I consider as a engineer the steering rack ratio is too small or "direct" for a taller SUV type of car. It makes the car IMO too "sensitive" to steering inputs. I have even stipulated to my family (wife and 2 young adult sons) to only drive it in sports mode steering for the moment to firm up the steering sensitivity. It defiantly improves the steering somewhat IMO. The steering rack ratio reminds me of when I raced go-carts LOL. Heaven forbid trying to avoid a Roo here at night on a country road with a inexperienced driver with the Model Y in comfort mode. Could easily see them losing control. A friend lost his city friend to crashing a Subaru into a tree trying to avoid a Roo at night.

Even in chill mode I think the accelerator is too sensitive for my liking. Trying too keep at the speed limit takes too much concentration IMO. Plenty of other cars do it better I think even when I wear my heavy work boots while driving.

Heard plenty in previous reviews about how the suspension on the Model Y is too firm or harsh. Our roads here are showing plenty of damage in parts after all the rain we have had lately and IMO the Model Y is comparable to lot of other cars I have driven with lower profile tyres including our later model PHEV. Still don't understand the need for cars that we are just cruising around in and not racing to be reducing the amount of rubber in our sidewalls for protection of our rims and tyres and giving us a better level of comfort in the ride quality of the car itself. Sure to some eyes lower profile tyres look better and help cornering at extreme speeds but in a practical sense I think it has gone beyond a joke these days. My youngest son destroyed a rim and tyre just hitting a pothole on a tar road in a Mazda 3. We regularly drove our older cars on gravel roads with bad potholes with very few problems. Only difference higher profile tyres. A lot good capable 4x4 cars come standard now with highway style tread patterns and lower profile rims.:rolleyes: Damaging rims on curbs is a real hazard now with low profile tyres. Seems so unnecessary to me.

Not having no physical buttons for certain functions and just using the large display is certainly different IMO. If the road is a bit rough hitting those smaller icons or sub menu shortcuts can be tricky LOL. Learning to use more voice commands will probably help here I hope.

Auto dimming headlights I think are unusable for me. I manually control them instead. Dazzling other drivers with our high beam happens too much. Hope it improves.

Still learning too try to trust "Autopilot". As someone that has piloted planes from going solo in them before I could legally drive cars on the road (solo on my 16th birthday) and using aeroplane autopilots don't agree with Tesla using that name LOL. Anyway Tesla's "autopilot" still needs refinement IMO. Has trouble with lane merges and exits especially from what I have seen. I can "pilot" 🤣 the car better manually.

Now it may seem I have been too hard on my Model Y to some but I am just trying to be honest with my opinion. Again I do consider it to be reasonable good car. But I think it could be better as I stated before. Tesla's easy over the air updates is a great idea I think so looking forward to seeing somethings improved. I do not regret my purchase of the
Model Y and as a matter of fact my wife and son's regularly argue over driving it.🤣

Anyway hope this can help others.

Regards Trex.

Ps Plug and charge on the Supercharger network is great compared to other networks I have used.

Hi folks,

First post here on this forum.

Never owned a Tesla before but owned 2 Toyota hybrids at the same time (Prius and Camry) then 2 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs at the same time (2014 and then later a 2019 model) which are EV around town, petrol parallel mode on highway. Sold the oldest PHEV and bought a model Y RWD here on the Mid North coast of NSW (first one I have seen around here in the area although see Model 3s ). I didn't want to go back to a low ground clearance car, been there done that in the Prius, so hence I waited for the Y to be released here down under. Could not justify the money on buying a Model X for my first pure EV and just love that SUV style in my life these days. Now in my previous experiences of being lucky enough own or drive some cars that are I think considered premium like BMW or Mercedes as well as owning Holden, Ford, Honda, Subaru etc in my business or personally.

So Tesla Model Y review. IMHO a reasonably good car but defiantly not perfect but I have never driven what I consider a "perfect" car. All cars I think have there nuances that take time to get used to. Things I am still trying to get used on the Model Y after 2 weeks of ownership :

Turn signal stalk back on the left hand side like some other European cars I have owned or driven. A pet hate of mine that cars coming into Australia aren't standardised. I regularly drive different cars and having that turn signal stalk going from right to left depending on brands is really distracting and could even be considered a safety issue IMO. Tesla using the right hand side stalk to engage Reverse at slow speed make it worse than just accidently hitting your wiper stalk on other brand cars.

Occasional unnecessary braking on adaptive cruise control. Owned or driven plenty of other cars that don't do this that used radar based solutions. Hope to see this improved soon.

I consider as a engineer the steering rack ratio is too small or "direct" for a taller SUV type of car. It makes the car IMO too "sensitive" to steering inputs. I have even stipulated to my family (wife and 2 young adult sons) to only drive it in sports mode steering for the moment to firm up the steering sensitivity. It defiantly improves the steering somewhat IMO. The steering rack ratio reminds me of when I raced go-carts LOL. Heaven forbid trying to avoid a Roo here at night on a country road with a inexperienced driver with the Model Y in comfort mode. Could easily see them losing control. A friend lost his city friend to crashing a Subaru into a tree trying to avoid a Roo at night.

Even in chill mode I think the accelerator is too sensitive for my liking. Trying too keep at the speed limit takes too much concentration IMO. Plenty of other cars do it better I think even when I wear my heavy work boots while driving.

Heard plenty in previous reviews about how the suspension on the Model Y is too firm or harsh. Our roads here are showing plenty of damage in parts after all the rain we have had lately and IMO the Model Y is comparable to lot of other cars I have driven with lower profile tyres including our later model PHEV. Still don't understand the need for cars that we are just cruising around in and not racing to be reducing the amount of rubber in our sidewalls for protection of our rims and tyres and giving us a better level of comfort in the ride quality of the car itself. Sure to some eyes lower profile tyres look better and help cornering at extreme speeds but in a practical sense I think it has gone beyond a joke these days. My youngest son destroyed a rim and tyre just hitting a pothole on a tar road in a Mazda 3. We regularly drove our older cars on gravel roads with bad potholes with very few problems. Only difference higher profile tyres. A lot good capable 4x4 cars come standard now with highway style tread patterns and lower profile rims.:rolleyes: Damaging rims on curbs is a real hazard now with low profile tyres. Seems so unnecessary to me.

Not having no physical buttons for certain functions and just using the large display is certainly different IMO. If the road is a bit rough hitting those smaller icons or sub menu shortcuts can be tricky LOL. Learning to use more voice commands will probably help here I hope.

Auto dimming headlights I think are unusable for me. I manually control them instead. Dazzling other drivers with our high beam happens too much. Hope it improves.

Still learning too try to trust "Autopilot". As someone that has piloted planes from going solo in them before I could legally drive cars on the road (solo on my 16th birthday) and using aeroplane autopilots don't agree with Tesla using that name LOL. Anyway Tesla's "autopilot" still needs refinement IMO. Has trouble with lane merges and exits especially from what I have seen. I can "pilot" 🤣 the car better manually.

Now it may seem I have been too hard on my Model Y to some but I am just trying to be honest with my opinion. Again I do consider it to be reasonable good car. But I think it could be better as I stated before. Tesla's easy over the air updates is a great idea I think so looking forward to seeing somethings improved. I do not regret my purchase of the
Model Y and as a matter of fact my wife and son's regularly argue over driving it.🤣

Anyway hope this can help others.

Regards Trex.

Ps Plug and charge on the Supercharger network is great compared to other networks I have used.
Never steer to avoid Roos, slow down in a straight line, the worst result is a damaged front end, change direction and the vehicle will A. Still hit the Roo that's moved in the same direction or B. Crash while the Roo hops off oblivious to the carnage behind it.

Never steer to avoid Roos, slow down in a straight line, the worst result is a damaged front end, change direction and the vehicle will A. Still hit the Roo that's moved in the same direction or B. Crash while the Roo hops off oblivious to the carnage behind it.
IMHO plenty of experienced good country road drivers will use all their abilities of control in that situation.

But back to the topic of the Model Y steering rack ratio I still think it is too low and maybe even a safety issue in some cases for some drivers. I hope I am wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: sfRonH and InDaClub
But back to the topic of the Model Y steering rack ratio I still think it is too low and maybe even a safety issue in some cases for some drivers. I hope I am wrong.

It could go the other way too. A faster rack allows the driver to move the car with less input which could help in situations that require this.
I like the direct a fast rack in the 3 and I think that you get used to it very quickly. When I jump into any of our standard cars I feel like they are gigantic boats to manouvre.

Clearly you are new to Tesla 😄. Phantom braking has been a bugbear for years. It recently got better to the point where it hardly happened at all, then a Tesla software update removed the radar inputs and TACC is now solely driven by Tesla Vision. And it sucks - way worse than phantom braking ever used to be in the past. Unfortunately sometimes with Tesla it is one step forward, two steps back.

Sure to some eyes lower profile tyres look better and help cornering at extreme speeds but in a practical sense I think it has gone beyond a joke these days. We regularly drove our older cars on gravel roads with bad potholes with very few problems. Only difference higher profile tyres. A lot good capable 4x4 cars come standard now with highway style tread patterns and lower profile rims.:rolleyes: Damaging rims on curbs is a real hazard now with low profile tyres. Seems so unnecessary to me.

Yep. I hate low-profile tyres, both aesthetically and practically. I have no idea why people think they look good. I think they look terrible with comically oversized rims. And the ride is harsh and puncture risk so much higher. Lose-lose. I am so glad I got my Model 3 when 18” wheels were standard.

The solution to this is to turn auto high beam off 😄. It‘s rubbish.

As someone that has piloted planes from going solo in them before I could legally drive cars on the road (solo on my 16th birthday) and using aeroplane autopilots don't agree with Tesla using that name LOL.
Why's that? The autopilots you got to use in those GA planes would have happily flown straight and level right into a mountain, at least the Tesla tries not to run into things! There have also been very basic marine autopilots that do nothing more than hold a heading using that name for years too.

It could go the other way too. A faster rack allows the driver to move the car with less input which could help in situations that require this.
I like the direct a fast rack in the 3 and I think that you get used to it very quickly. When I jump into any of our standard cars I feel like they are gigantic boats to manouvre.
Are we sure the Model 3 steering rack hasn't been transferred over to the Model Y?

Sure doesn't feel good IMO for such a higher SUV style car. That's looking at it in a purely if the crap hits the fan way. Again I hope I a wrong.

Clearly you are new to Tesla 😄. Phantom braking has been a bugbear for years. It recently got better to the point where it hardly happened at all, then a Tesla software update removed the radar inputs and TACC is now solely driven by Tesla Vision. And it sucks - way worse than phantom braking ever used to be in the past. Unfortunately sometimes with Tesla it is one step forward, two steps back.

Yep. I hate low-profile tyres, both aesthetically and practically. I have no idea why people think they look good. I think they look terrible with comically oversized rims. And the ride is harsh and puncture risk so much higher. Lose-lose. I am so glad I got my Model 3 when 18” wheels were standard.

The solution to this is to turn auto high beam off 😄. It‘s rubbish.
😄 Ok Phantom braking. Must learn the lingo I guess.😉

I wonder if I can fit higher profile rims to the Model Y? 😉 Time to start measuring those disks and callipers. 😄

Why's that? The autopilots you got to use in those GA planes would have happily flown straight and level right into a mountain, at least the Tesla tries not to run into things! There have also been very basic marine autopilots that do nothing more than hold a heading using that name for years too.
Ok, does that mean from now on just because I own a Tesla and it has "Autopilot" I am now a pilot of a car when I steer it manually?

Cool.😄😉

Reactions: GeoQuack
IMHO plenty of experienced good country road drivers will use all their abilities of control in that situation.

I drive the steering on Comfort, however I think that after driving the 3 I'm just used to it. I can understand where you're coming from on the dartiness. I also don't use Chill on the Y but always on the 3, I guess it's a question of getting used to it.

I agree with you on the trend for large wheels, what size wheels did you get your Y in?

WRT to Autopilot, my suggested approach is to trust it like you would a 17 year old L Plater with 10 hours on their log book. If I'm on the freeway with a lot of traffic around I'll take over.

As long as you keep your eyes open!
👍

Hi cafz,

It's not really a problem what Tesla calls their, let's call it, autonomous lane centring mode.

I just really hope Tesla can get make it be smoother in some situations. Not sure if others have noticed this but on a trip to Sydney (left at 3am last Saturday morning) and back the same day I tried to give it a good workout. Especially with lane merges onto freeway the Y would "veer" enough to make me uncomfortable using it when merges were coming up. I prize myself on the "smoothness" of driving skills (worked very hard to make that possible and was not some inane ability that magically came to me) and the Tesla was making me look like a drunken amateur.:oops:

Now as I wrote in the title of this thread I am a software engineer (write control programs for the industrial machines I design) and I have tried to look at the problem from Tesla's viewpoint of cameras, lane markings etc and how I would solve it and in my thinking so far it would include certain lane marking prioritisation but I am sure Tesla already are on top of that. Pretty sure they have smarter men than me working for them.

I do totally wish them success.

Regards Trex.

I drive the steering on Comfort, however I think that after driving the 3 I'm just used to it. I can understand where you're coming from on the dartiness. I also don't use Chill on the Y but always on the 3, I guess it's a question of getting used to it.

I agree with you on the trend for large wheels, what size wheels did you get your Y in?

WRT to Autopilot, my suggested approach is to trust it like you would a 17 year old L Plater with 10 hours on their log book. If I'm on the freeway with a lot of traffic around I'll take over.
Hi Maximillian,

I have no trouble handling the steering on the Model Y. I was lucky enough to have a father that was a rally car driver in his younger days to teach me and I drove a go-cart from a very young age which was way more direct or "darty" than the Model Y. I am just looking at it from a standpoint of someone that was not as lucky or experienced as someone as myself. That is where it worries me. My immediate family have had me also to help them receive that "survival" training I luckily received from others I think.

But all this is totally subjective on my behalf. Need to find the steering rack ratio of the Model Y and 3 and compare them with other cars that are I think are known for good handling ect when I get the chance.

I got the 19' wheels on my Model Y. Would have got anything smaller if I had the choice from Tesla. If I bought the Model Y performance I would look at trying to fit at least 19" (or lower) wheels on it as well. 😉

Ah a 17 year old L Plater with 10 hours on their log book. Been there, done that and stayed to look a around.😁 Did all the training of my sons myself except just before their licence test sent them to a professional instructor for an hour to make sure I wasn't teaching them any distance ruling type bad habit I might have picked up.😉 No problems were encountered it seems and they passed 1st go.😅

Now I look forward to teaching the Model Y to be a better "pilot".😁

Regards Trex.

Reactions: Maximillan
Agree. I saw a massive dead roo on the middle of highway lane at night, and I played enough car racing games to instinctively know to take the hit straight on. My Ford Focus jumped all 4 wheels off the road. If i went over it on one side it would have definitely flipped me over.

The Tesla cars can’t flip over while swerving right? Pretty sure I’ve seen moose test where it was the best SUV in that regard due to its low COG and stiff suspension
Hi Cummins Tomic,

Flipping or rolling or even somersaulting a car is not the only result from loss of control. Saw someone overtake me and lose control with divergent over-steer (rear wheels of car making bigger and bigger slides from right to left and right until end up going backward into a tree off the other side of the road.

Felt sure after stopping and seeing the damage from a distance the occupants would be badly hurt or worse but found them lying on their back (back of the bucket seats had collapsed) with only cuts and bruises.

Result, one Mazda RX3 written off and 2 lucky men that were in a car being driven by someone (too quickly) out of his depth in ability and experience on a wet road.

Now these days with modern computer controlled traction control that accident may not have happened. But I hope I don't see it ever again.

Regards Trex.

Agree. I saw a massive dead roo on the middle of highway lane at night, and I played enough car racing games to instinctively know to take the hit straight on. My Ford Focus jumped all 4 wheels off the road. If i went over it on one side it would have definitely flipped me over.
It's good you know your instinctive ability from car racing games. Mine come from real world experience taking on those live suicidal Roos over many years. And yes I have hit a Roo, and killed it, after it darted in from the side of the road. Caught it out of the corner of my eye and then bang.

Been lucky enough to avoid all others so far, touch wood, as I have seen them from far enough away to safely react.

Hi Cummins Tomic,

Flipping or rolling or even somersaulting a car is not the only result from loss of control. Saw someone overtake me and lose control with divergent over-steer (rear wheels of car making bigger and bigger slides from right to left and right until end up going backward into a tree off the other side of the road.

Felt sure after stopping and seeing the damage from a distance the occupants would be badly hurt or worse but found them lying on their back (back of the bucket seats had collapsed) with only cuts and bruises.

Result, one Mazda RX3 written off and 2 lucky men that were in a car being driven by someone (too quickly) out of his depth in ability and experience on a wet road.

Now these days with modern computer controlled traction control that accident may not have happened. But I hope I don't see it ever again.

Regards Trex.
Thats what im referring to, Tesla cars dont lose control like that and self correct, unless you run off the road or hit something early

I suggest you watch actual testing:

Last edited:
Reactions: RareEarth
Thats what im referring to, Tesla cars dont lose control like that and self correct, unless you run off the road or hit something early
LOL you are so funny. Plenty of videos online showing Teslas crashing after driver loses control.

Humans making mistakes in cars through speeding, showing off, speeding in bad weather conditions, drunk ect ect are still happening to this day in all makes of cars it seems.

Cars don't stop bad or inexperienced drivers operating them dangerously yet unfortunately IMHO.

😄 Ok Phantom braking. Must learn the lingo I guess.😉

I wonder if I can fit higher profile rims to the Model Y? 😉 Time to start measuring those disks and callipers. 😄
Some cars, like mine, are inflicted with heavy duty phantom braking, as in full pressure for no reason or warning. Its a useless extremely unsafe system. Its worth noting that tesla now acknowledge this problem in the manual, and make the manual available before you buy.

Reactions: sfRonH