Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y review from Model S/X driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I definitely get the impression he's judging the Y based on what he's used to in the S/X (which I get, that's natural). The comment about moving the steering wheel and how it should be faster, for example. Sure, it'll be faster to press a hardware button to move it. But I did that one time when I got the car and never touched or thought about it again. What I have thought about is how absurdly clean the interior looks without any buttons, and how the S/X now looks dated to me.

All that said, it's probably a good review for those thinking of "downgrading" from an X to a Y. These are all probably things you'll notice. But you should spend time critically thinking if it's something that's truly an important difference, or if it's something you just don't like because it isn't what you're used to.

Things I thought I'd miss from my ICE car, that are similar to the S/X, but don't: hardware open for glovebox, sunglasses holder, key fob, side mirror adjustment button. The things I do miss are the heated steering wheel and adjustment dial for A/C. I also did have a softer suspension on my last car, but I've gotten used to the trade-off and am starting to dig the sportier feel.

I test drove the LR Y and also felt it was not as zippy feeling - and that's coming from an 3SR+ .. however that doesn't really matter to me, the layout of the Y vs 3 is more important for me.

He comments about the door handles and air suspension / falcon doors were mentioned, which is some of the main reasons I would prefer the "lower end" teslas over the others.. esp the X as I feel like it is over engineered. too many gimmicky items to break over the long term, I'd rather have something reliable over the long term that I can just drive. The simpler, the better, and the 3/Y fit that perfectly. Especially that spartan interior.

Though, if I did want to burn buckets of cash cycling upper end new cars when they go out of warranty, I'd prob buy an X.

Having sold an S for a Y, and being an early M3 (AWD LR Dec '17), my impressions are:
MS (ours was 70D with coil springs) is "floaty," "dreamy" and handles very well. Sedate yet spirited when asked.
M3 is our "go-kart" that handles twisties with alacrity. That said, the ride is significantly harsher than the MS. My wife could not wait to get out of the MS to go back to the M3 while I had commandeered it for my work commute (carpool stickers).
MY is interesting. In some ways, it reminds me of the S in terms of handling small road imperfections, but it is clearly harsher than the S. I do not feel the MY can be pushed on twisties like the M3 (or MS for that matter), as it feels like it might lose its bite. I haven't pushed it to see if that's just a perception or if it really could be more aggressive.

Having sold an S for a Y, and being an early M3 (AWD LR Dec '17), my impressions are:
MS (ours was 70D with coil springs) is "floaty," "dreamy" and handles very well. Sedate yet spirited when asked.
M3 is our "go-kart" that handles twisties with alacrity. That said, the ride is significantly harsher than the MS. My wife could not wait to get out of the MS to go back to the M3 while I had commandeered it for my work commute (carpool stickers).
MY is interesting. In some ways, it reminds me of the S in terms of handling small road imperfections, but it is clearly harsher than the S. I do not feel the MY can be pushed on twisties like the M3 (or MS for that matter), as it feels like it might lose its bite. I haven't pushed it to see if that's just a perception or if it really could be more aggressive.

Have a 67K mile late 2018 AWD 3 FSD - contemplating on replacing with 3P or AWD Y no FSD as soon as and after any new info from Battery Investor day.

We have a PUP Y no FSD as second fam car. I don't need the extra space of another Y but commute 160 miles daily. I always wanted a 3P. Funding is secured either way. What would you do?

BTW my 2018 AWD 3 has been great, no issues. I use AP, enjoy auto lane change in my daily commute - only it has 67K miles with 32K resale per Carvana.

Sorry OP did not mean to hijack. Was an X owner replaced with Y after X got totaled. So, missus misses the self presenting/closing door of the X otherwise the Y is fine and $30K less.

Reactions: Electric Steve
As a previous S owner - both P and non - The only places I feel the Y comes up short:

1. Suspension - Yes, air really makes a difference
2. Door handles - I still cant quite get it right.

Power wise .. off the line it's got a noticeable roll on power feel. As if Tesla intended to take it easy on the gearbox. On the road though, punch it and it goes every bit as good as my non P Model S. So no issue on that front.

My prior was an S. And I am perfectly happy with my non-performance Y. And I chose Y over X.

Just goes to show we all have opinions I guess. And that you really probably can't make a bad choice with any of these cars.
I was watching another one of his videos, comparing the two screen system of the S/X against the one screen system of the 3/Y. Not surprisingly, he chose the former.

At some point, you have to accept that he has a strong bias and calibrate against it.

Yeah I definitely get the impression he's judging the Y based on what he's used to in the S/X (which I get, that's natural). The comment about moving the steering wheel and how it should be faster, for example. Sure, it'll be faster to press a hardware button to move it. But I did that one time when I got the car and never touched or thought about it again. What I have thought about is how absurdly clean the interior looks without any buttons, and how the S/X now looks dated to me.

All that said, it's probably a good review for those thinking of "downgrading" from an X to a Y. These are all probably things you'll notice. But you should spend time critically thinking if it's something that's truly an important difference, or if it's something you just don't like because it isn't what you're used to.

Things I thought I'd miss from my ICE car, that are similar to the S/X, but don't: hardware open for glovebox, sunglasses holder, key fob, side mirror adjustment button. The things I do miss are the heated steering wheel and adjustment dial for A/C. I also did have a softer suspension on my last car, but I've gotten used to the trade-off and am starting to dig the sportier feel.
Yeah, the steering wheel thing is just silly. I adjusted it to my body when I first sat in it and that's all. Same for side mirrors. Even if there are other drivers, it remembers their settings, so this is not something you ever need to change.

I mean, I get it: you wind up getting used to what you have, but you have to do the cost/benefit analysis to overcome the natural tendency towards loss aversion. Heated steering is a nice luxury, but how much are you willing to pay for it? Tesla did the math and decided it wasn't enough. I bought a MY, so I guess they were right about what the market demands.

Oh, and if you really want a key fob, they'll sell you one. I have one, but a cell phone makes it largely unnecessary. I mostly have it so that I can give it to someone, instead of a card.

The Model S I briefly drove had air suspension, and while it felt more luxurious, it wasn't as sporty. The S/X are big, heavy cars. Sure, they have superior straight-line acceleration, but highway driving is not a drag race, and my Y has amazing acceleration compared to even most sports cars. I have confirmed that it generates a Tesla Smile on anyone who sits through a 0-60 run.

As for the clean look, totally agree. I was in my old Juke today, cleaning it out. It's a cute car and I liked having it, but the controls look hopelessly busy despite being inferior in every way. I don't even slightly miss the dash behind the wheel.

So I don't want to knock the S/X, but if they offered what I wanted, I would have bought them instead of the Y. I get that all of us are different and want different things. I'm not sure if the guy in the video does, though. Still, with calibration, I find his content valuable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
So his only “problem” was the quirky door handles. I have to agree with him on that one

That's fair: the S/X is definitely better in this regard. However, how much more money would you have been willing to spend if the auto-extending door handles had been an option on the 3/Y? Probably not enough to make it worth the trouble for them to offer it.

Reactions: captanzuelo
I’d definitely want the Y over X or S, even if I were to choose now. All opinion. Coming from a lifetime of ICE cars, there’s nothing sluggish about my MY LR, even compared to a couple Mustang GTs I’ve owned.
You're not wrong about the Y, even without Performance, being phenomenal for anyone used to even sporty ICE's.

Unfortunately, the only time I was in an S, it was a loaner that was locked down to Chill mode and an 80 MPH cap, so I don't have personal experience with the acceleration that a Performance S is capable of. So I can't really say.

All things being equal, I wouldn't turn down a faster 0-60, but they're not. Not only does the S cost more, it includes luxuries I don't need, and it's just not as sporty as even a Y, much less a 3. It's too big for me; my last car was a Juke.

Maybe when EV's are more common and I can no longer easily outspeed almost all the cars on the highway, then I'll want more acceleration. But, to be fair, I fully expect to trade up in 5 years.

I have an AWD3 and drove the non-perf Y and found it pretty laggy on the bottom end and somewhat lifeless in comparison, I wanted to change over for the space but it was just too dull in comparison in both performance and feel. I had an S as well and the 3 was more fun.
I've driven a non-Perf 3 and it wasn't as good as a Perf Y, but it wouldn't be: perf makes a difference.

Comparing apples to apples, I can totally see someone choosing a 3 over a Y if they don't need the space and don't prefer the higher view, and want something just a bit sportier. And I've read that Tesla is updating the 3 to match the innovations created for the Y, so that's yet another good argument for getting the 3, if not immediately. There's also talk of a hatchback version of the 3, which sort of splits the difference.

There's some reason to suspect that Tesla is sandbagging the low range on the Y, even the Perf Y. If so, we may get an update that fixes it. Or maybe I'm just optimistic.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I test drove the LR Y and also felt it was not as zippy feeling - and that's coming from an 3SR+ .. however that doesn't really matter to me, the layout of the Y vs 3 is more important for me.

He comments about the door handles and air suspension / falcon doors were mentioned, which is some of the main reasons I would prefer the "lower end" teslas over the others.. esp the X as I feel like it is over engineered. too many gimmicky items to break over the long term, I'd rather have something reliable over the long term that I can just drive. The simpler, the better, and the 3/Y fit that perfectly. Especially that spartan interior.

Though, if I did want to burn buckets of cash cycling upper end new cars when they go out of warranty, I'd prob buy an X.
I love the way the X looks, but it didn't tempt me, somehow, maybe for the same reason I was lukewarm on the Navigator. It's just too big for me, and I'm more likely to need to park on the street than drive long-distance to camp in the car. Ever parallel-park a Navigator? Don't!

But, hey, that's just me.

That's fair: the S/X is definitely better in this regard. However, how much more money would you have been willing to spend if the auto-extending door handles had been an option on the 3/Y? Probably not enough to make it worth the trouble for them to offer it.
Yea, I actually wouldn’t pay more to upgrade the handles. But after driving the S around, it is nice to have the handles pop out for you as you walk up

Reactions: Electric Steve