Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that is true but the Tesla 3 has an approved 18" wheel option and the Y is based of this platform just a bit heavier. As Teslas eat thru tires a lower cost 18" tire size would be appreciated. In the midwest and northeast the road conditions are just not optimal for short wall performance tires on any make.

Just test drove a new Y awd long range. Yes, the ride is extremely stiff almost like there are no springs. The body creaks everywhere as it goes over rough surfaces. The steering even in comfort mode requires more effort than any of the more than 40 cars I have had. People who claim to like the steering effort or ride quality are drinking the Tesla coolaid. Test drive it for yourself before buying or you will regret not having a return policy anymore. The S, X and 3 all drive far smoother and their steering is not heavy. Glad the Cybertruck I have on order will have the adaptive air suspension.

Last edited:
Curious: no "Tesla coolaid" for me, and after 2k miles, the suspension has softened to the point that I'll probably NOT replace the springs with UnPlugged springs. Steering? I haven't owned 40 cars, but I don't find the steering difficult in the slightest.

Of course, an active air suspension would be superior, but at what cost? Replacement cost down the road?

YMMV!

Just test drove a Model Y LR this past weekend. I walked away very disappointed. The suspension is really poor - it's really the worst of both worlds. Usually with suspension, you have to make a trade between handling and comfort, so it's either stiff but handles well, or soft but boaty / bouncy. The Model Y suspension is unfortunately neither, in that it's both stiff and bouncy, and feels very busy, like it doesn't know where it's supposed to be. On some not so good roads it honestly feels crashy and the whole car makes rickety noises going over such bumps.

I drove a BMW 3 to and back from the Tesla store for the test drive. Driving on the same road as the Model Y, the BMW has much better handling and yet more comfortable. I have a Porsche Cayenne with coil suspension with PASM and the ride quality is vastly superior to Model Y even in sport+ mode and is never bouncy.

Want a softer ride? Get a set of 18" aftermarket wheels and grand touring tires.
The tires that come with 20" induction wheels are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric and they are in Ultra High Performance All-Season category.

I've been driving my LR + 19" Geminis for ~8 months and it's been fantastic. Comfort is highly personal and I love how the MY drives and feels, especially at speed.

There are a lot of high-end and exotic sports cars where I like driving and some of the roads are rough. Here's me behind a Ferrari and in front of a McLaren. People actual drive their cars here.

MY_Sandwich_Ferrari_McLaren.jpg

Reactions: Nolakai
I've been driving my LR + 19" Geminis for ~8 months and it's been fantastic. Comfort is highly personal and I love how the MY drives and feels, especially at speed.

There are a lot of high-end and exotic sports cars where I like driving and some of the roads are rough. Here's me behind a Ferrari and in front of a McLaren. People actual drive their cars here.

View attachment 637595
Nice 1up rack!

Reactions: mark95476
I took delivery of my LR Model Y with 20” induction wheels in August in North Carolina. I live part of the year in another country where I drive a Lexus RX450h and the roads are very bumpy. The Lexus handles the roads very well. I find the ride in the Model Y very comfortable, but of course the roads in NC are bump free in comparison. To be honest I prefer the seats and overall ride in the Y over the Lexus.

I have no clue why is this even a debate. Its the worst ride ever. Please guys don't sugar coat this. I am (was) a huge Tesla fan and like most of the buyers, bought it online without even test driving it. There is only one way to describe it - you feel like a bobblehead. For some, yes, that maybe acceptable. Like a thrill ride- sporty. But apples to apples, it sucks. Read carefully all the online reviews and you will see. Again, for some who dont care about the ride that much, well they won't be on this discussion thread. Please note that I only talking about the ride in terms of suspension. Not body roll, handling dynamics or seat comfort. Those are excellent. Technology, autonomous driving - excellent. Battery life - excellent. Space- awesome. Pickup/acceleration - Thrilling.
If nothing else, please test drive and then compare to other cars. If you just test drive it on a smooth road and if you have never driven a Tesla before, you will be smitten by its other features and fail to notice a bit glaring defect.
Unfortunately I am selling mine just after 6m with a huge financial hit - but I just can't stand it

I have no clue why is this even a debate. Its the worst ride ever. Please guys don't sugar coat this. I am (was) a huge Tesla fan and like most of the buyers, bought it online without even test driving it. There is only one way to describe it - you feel like a bobblehead. For some, yes, that maybe acceptable. Like a thrill ride- sporty. But apples to apples, it sucks. Read carefully all the online reviews and you will see. Again, for some who dont care about the ride that much, well they won't be on this discussion thread. Please note that I only talking about the ride in terms of suspension. Not body roll, handling dynamics or seat comfort. Those are excellent. Technology, autonomous driving - excellent. Battery life - excellent. Space- awesome. Pickup/acceleration - Thrilling.
If nothing else, please test drive and then compare to other cars. If you just test drive it on a smooth road and if you have never driven a Tesla before, you will be smitten by its other features and fail to notice a bit glaring defect.
Unfortunately I am selling mine just after 6m with a huge financial hit - but I just can't stand it

Wow...can't believe they would make the Y like this...seems like it would be an easy fix or something they would have noticed when testing.

Yet another first time poster... :rolleyes:

There were hundreds of thousands of satisfied M3 owners for years before the first MY rolled off the assembly line. ~70% M3 reuse in the MY where the interior, suspensions, and drive-trains are very similar. MY has more suspension than the M3. Sandy Munro+1 recently drove across the country with many very long days and they were comfortable and rested in the M3 they were driving.

- Driving dynamics: Can measure and compare
- Acceleration: Can measure and compare
- Braking: Can measure and compare
- Acoustics: Can measure and compare
- Efficiency: Can measure and compare
- Panel gaps, thin paint, ...etc...: Can measure and compare
- "Comfortable ride": Personal and totally subjective so claim that MY is the WORST EVAR!! :confused:

I read that something like >90% of EV buyers won't go back to ICE vehicles for good reason.

I think you can measure suspension ride quality and I am a Tesla fan. I go back to wondering why is there is currently no 18" wheel option which there are more tire choices for ? An 18" wheel and tire option would have the identical outer diameter but be lighter for better mileage, it would be cheaper for Tesla to produce and owner replacement costs would be lower. It would be a much better size for winter tires as a bit more sidewall which minimizes chance of flats from bad roads. An 18" size would also be a cheaper way of improving ride quality than an air suspension which is not in the cards for the Model Y at this point. With similar quality tires the handling limits would not be noticed by most users as its just a minus 1 wheel size change. Tesla is marketing the Y as a family vehicle which means alot of cautious parent drivers with small kids driving slowly around in suburbia. They have the Model 3 which is more of a performance sedan for those that want a firmer ride. Actually I would not be surprised Tesla already has this in their future plans. Its an easy way for Tesla to increase profits and eliminate a common complaint with the current Model Y. If they don't the after market will do it as its obvious and done with every other car.

IMHO, a lot of ride quality and steering issues are the OEM tires. I’ve tried both Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and the 4S (max summer). Both with 265s in the front on MY PUP. The steering effort is much better with both Pilot Sports. Steering in general is improved with better tracking and less vagueness on center. Not sure if it’s the extra sidewall or just the Michelin sidewall, but the ride is much smoother, and less bounce. It’s firm but not jarring.

Reactions: magicnote
IMHO, a lot of ride quality and steering issues are the OEM tires. I’ve tried both Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and the 4S (max summer). Both with 265s in the front on MY PUP. The steering effort is much better with both Pilot Sports. Steering in general is improved with better tracking and less vagueness on center. Not sure if it’s the extra sidewall or just the Michelin sidewall, but the ride is much smoother, and less bounce. It’s firm but not jarring.
I too have the Michelin 4S on the PUP, downsized to 20s. Both sizing and brand improved the ride quality.

As much as you praise the rest of the car why not fix the suspension defect with something like coilover suspension - about $3K, vs taking this huge financial hit?

Reactions: mdsco and Barrygold
I really think it is the tires which give a harsh ride, upon changing to 18 inch rims and snows my is much better however you do notice a mileage drop as you use more energy.

Mileage drop due to the snow tires vs. the rim size. Properly-sized all-seasons on 18" rims should deliver the smoothest ride compared to the stock wheel/tire options, plus the same or better range.