Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYP ride is really rough. I feel like a bobble head when I'm driving my car on bad roads. I came from a lexus rc and my wife has a lexus rx. It's a totally different feel. I have coilovers on order. I'm also trading in for the 2021 performance so I'll get a chance to see if there is a noticeable difference.
For what its worth, last week, in June of 2021 I did a test drive overnight and found the performance Y was really rough , so much so that I cancelled my order.

For what its worth, last week, in June of 2021 I did a test drive overnight and found the performance Y was really rough , so much so that I cancelled my order.
Shhh, don't say that around others who think the MYP rides like you are on marshmallows.

Did you order a different version? Or just bail totally on the MY?

You could always dump more money into and swap out the wheels, tires and go with coilovers.

Shhh, don't say that around others who think the MYP rides like you are on marshmallows.

Did you order a different version? Or just bail totally on the MY?

You could always dump more money into and swap out the wheels, tires and go with coilovers.
yes, I cancelled the mod Y Long range order. For the test drive they gave me what they had, which was the performance. Un wittingly I thought there was no difference except for the acceleration. Now I'm trying to figure out if a long range with the smaller fatter? tires slightly under inflated would give an adequately softer ride. we are coming from a Lexus SUV and a Honda Ridgeline which is also smooth.

My biggest concern was the wind and outside noise penetrating the cabin. Surprisingly, it was flat out quiet, not like the test drives of both the Y and the X I had last year

BTW, I saw a video of a FSD beta this morning, an eleven minute drive, not on a high way. It multiple turns with a couple of stop lights it stopped for, NO interventions, all completely on its own.

"or someone like him" ha

For my wife, there was a huge difference in the ride quality between the Performance and LR version. We just got ours last week and it was better in every way than any demo model we drove for ride quality. The 19" Gemini wheels seem to be the way to go if that is one of your priorities. They stick pretty well in turn. According to the road tests, .88g which are pretty high cornering limits. We are running them at stock pressure and my wife hasn't complained a peep on any roads we've been on.

We had a Lexus RX350 about 4 years ago, then an Acura MDX and finally sold our latest gen 2020 Acura RDX with electronic suspension. The MY LR on the 19's isn't as plus as the RX was but it isn't far off. The handling of the MY is far better than either of those 3 SUVs I mentioned. The RDX was pretty competent though with the SH-AWD and torque vectoring. I drove the latest generation of the Ridgeline and our MY LR is just a touch firmer than it but so much better handling and braking it isn't even a fair comparison.

As for noise, again the one we actually received is much quieter inside for both wind and road. I don't know if we just got lucky but damn it is good so far. The FSD is still a work in progress. I wouldn't cough up the 10k for it any time soon.

I really wanted the M3 but my wife was dead set on the MY. She would have gone for the MYP if it hadn't ridden like a boxcar in some conditions. I have to say though I have really come around to the value the MY LR offers. It is plenty quick in most any situation I've encountered so far. Yes, I'd like more at some point but really enjoying it as is for now.

Reactions: skiwhmts
This is such a subjective thing tbh
if you come from a lexus suv and some german suv you probably gonna find it a lil rough cause they are comfort oriented to the max

i come from 19 inch wheels accord sport and the model Y LR 19 inch gemini rides like a dream compared to that sedan.

but really this is a very subjective topic depending what you are used to

Reactions: Zhe Wiz
This is such a subjective thing tbh
if you come from a lexus suv and some german suv you probably gonna find it a lil rough cause they are comfort oriented to the max

i come from 19 inch wheels accord sport and the model Y LR 19 inch gemini rides like a dream compared to that sedan.

but really this is a very subjective topic depending what you are used to

Exactly. People who think the MYP’s ride is rough need to take my lowered Eclipse with Eibach sprints for a spin around the block. THAT is a rough ride. The MYP? Seems perfect to me. Stiff but not harsh at all. I see (feel?) no issue with it.

Opinions vary widely on this one.

Reactions: Nolakai and dino007
For my wife, there was a huge difference in the ride quality between the Performance and LR version. We just got ours last week and it was better in every way than any demo model we drove for ride quality. The 19" Gemini wheels seem to be the way to go if that is one of your priorities. They stick pretty well in turn. According to the road tests, .88g which are pretty high cornering limits. We are running them at stock pressure and my wife hasn't complained a peep on any roads we've been on.

We had a Lexus RX350 about 4 years ago, then an Acura MDX and finally sold our latest gen 2020 Acura RDX with electronic suspension. The MY LR on the 19's isn't as plus as the RX was but it isn't far off. The handling of the MY is far better than either of those 3 SUVs I mentioned. The RDX was pretty competent though with the SH-AWD and torque vectoring. I drove the latest generation of the Ridgeline and our MY LR is just a touch firmer than it but so much better handling and braking it isn't even a fair comparison.

As for noise, again the one we actually received is much quieter inside for both wind and road. I don't know if we just got lucky but damn it is good so far. The FSD is still a work in progress. I wouldn't cough up the 10k for it any time soon.

I really wanted the M3 but my wife was dead set on the MY. She would have gone for the MYP if it hadn't ridden like a boxcar in some conditions. I have to say though I have really come around to the value the MY LR offers. It is plenty quick in most any situation I've encountered so far. Yes, I'd like more at some point but really enjoying it as is for now.
Sounds like there's an M3P in your near future since the wife has the Y she wants ;)

I have a 2021 MY LR AWD. The suspension comfort is fine. It's not a sports car ride and it's not a luxury ride. It's just... normal? The main problem is that, even in non-performance suspension, the car just rides too darned low. I at least plan on installing spring helpers, if not a full lift kit. Contacted Unplugged to ask about what they offer.

You want to feel a brutal ride? Go try a Mini Cooper Works.

Reactions: Zhe Wiz and dino007
As I mentioned upstream, I think environment has a big impact (pardon the pun) on what you think of your suspension. When I lived in the rust belt, where roads were total crap, my Corvette beat the crap out of me but my MB just glided over the bombed out roads yet it still handled well.

Ideally your tires should stay in contact with the roads at all times. If your suspension is too stiff, on anything other than very smooth roads, likely your tires aren't remaining in contact as well as they should.

Stiff does not always equal faster or better handling and what works on the track often doesn't work as well on the street or at the speed we typically drive. I learned a long time ago, I don't need a punishing ride to have a good handling car. I am not saying I want a wallowing, pillowy ride like on a '70s Cadillac. Nor does it need to be so firm you are I am going to urinate blood as my kidneys have been pounded to death.

I lean far more toward the sport side of the spectrum but with good compliance. Rock hard suspension on most roads is a liability. Hit some bumps while braking hard, your tires lose contact, and your braking distance increases dramatically. Same for hitting a mid turn bump. Very easy if the suspension is too stiff, the car can hop sideways because it lost traction.

A well setup car will have very compliant suspension for the conditions to maintain maximum tire contact. If you are too stiff, you just compromised traction in many different areas (acceleration, braking, turning).

Just got my Y 2 days ago. It's pretty stiff. not as much as my friends 3 performance i've been driving for the last few weeks but definitely harsher than I 'd like. I have the 19" gemini. now looking into some coil over options as I really want more of a plush ride.
I'm assuming you got the Y Long Range, congratulations. It's been said that taking out about 10% of the air will soften up the ride. If you try that let me know how it works. I'm looking at buying the Y long range. Our test drive was with the performance version and it was by far too bouncy for us.

I'm assuming you got the Y Long Range, congratulations. It's been said that taking out about 10% of the air will soften up the ride. If you try that let me know how it works. I'm looking at buying the Y long range. Our test drive was with the performance version and it was by far too bouncy for us.
I have been driving my LRMY with the 19" wheels and Continental ProContact RX tires for one full year. After trying different tire pressure settings and not wanting to disregard Tesla's recommended tire pressure on the label on the B pillar (42 PSI Front and Rear) I have settled on 43.5 PSI (All tire pressures as measured when cold, not driven.)

Like others here, I've experimented with PSI, from 38psi to my current 47psi (sidewall says 51psi max). Now with 9k miles, I've grown accustomed to the sharpness of the expansion crack feel, and it doesn't seem all that bad, now fully broken in. Tires seem to be wearing perfectly, so the alignment is dialed in.

That said, I will be rejoicing Thursday of this week, when my MPP Comfort Coilovers will be installed. I'm hoping they can soften the initial harshness, while at the same time controlling the bounding/porpoising effect I feel driving over uneven concrete slabs. A lot of this is created by a rather short wheelbase, combined with the exact spacing of the undulations of the concrete. It's like a 17-20-23 foot powerboat plowing through certain wave conditions. It's tough to find the exact speed for maximum smoothness.

Keep in mind that regional differences in road surfaces varies greatly. We're all trying to attain a certain level of comfort, but our road conditions are just not the same.

YMMV!

Reactions: Redekw and pt19713
Reading through these comments you can see how subjective the ride quality is. Coming from a 2019 Audi SQ5, I find the MYP to be just a tad softer in the suspension and feel. I drove around in dynamic mode (sport) on the SQ5 almost all the time.

The suspension of the MYP is very close to dynamic mode on the SQ5 but just a bit smoother. I quite like the ride and am very happy with it. It’s firm but not harsh. I don’t have any more road noise than I had on the SQ and on that I had off season 20 inch tires compared to the 21 inch summers on the MYP.

Reactions: dino007 and Zhe Wiz
Well, Mr. DfwRedMYP, have you driven lately on Plano Parkway? Hillcrest north of 635?? :eek: Bellaire in Fort Worth west of TCU?????

With my MYLR, non P, I go airborne at legal speeds. Maybe I'd benefit from the P suspension????

Never mind. FedEx just dropped of my MPP coilovers, to be installed Thursday. I'll follow up then.:D Maybe we could meet and compare?

Last edited:
Reading through these comments you can see how subjective the ride quality is. Coming from a 2019 Audi SQ5, I find the MYP to be just a tad softer in the suspension and feel. I drove around in dynamic mode (sport) on the SQ5 almost all the time.

The suspension of the MYP is very close to dynamic mode on the SQ5 but just a bit smoother. I quite like the ride and am very happy with it. It’s firm but not harsh. I don’t have any more road noise than I had on the SQ and on that I had off season 20 inch tires compared to the 21 inch summers on the MYP.

Finally! Someone with the CORRECT opinion. :D 😇

Reactions: hcdavis3
Well, Mr. DfwRedMYP, have you driven lately on Plano Parkway? Hillcrest north of 635?? :eek: Bellaire in Fort Worth west of TCU?????

With my MYLR, non P, I go airborne at legal speeds. Maybe I'd benefit from the P suspension????

Never mind. FedEx just dropped of my MPP coilovers, to be installed Thursday. I'll follow up then.:D Maybe we could meet and compare?
Admittedly most of my driving has been on some of the nicer roads in the Plano, frisco and McKinney areas. I did go over some rough areas out west of Plano. This all constitutes where I drove the SQ on a daily basis so I’m just comparing with that.

Always happy to compare. Hopefully the coilovers make a difference for you. I read a lot about the ride quality before I bought and I’ve been pleased as can be.