Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish there was some real data to compare suspensions between vehicles. Everyone's single opinion is just that....one point of data.
Agreed. I think everyone needs to try the car for themselves. Even that's not perfect, as a suspensions feel requires a large sampling of roads and road surfaces. Hard to get a good idea from a test drive that's usually limited in variation.

Everyone's butt-o-meter measures things differently. The good news is that even if you hate the stock suspension and love everything else, there are alternatives out there, albeit not for free. I just don't want people to read these negative reviews and get turned off w/o even giving it a try. There ARE differing opinions, and not everyone will dislike the Y's suspension, though clearly some do.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
For the MYP, I think Car and Driver said it pretty well. I think it goes back to the idea of a performance model was approached in a holistic way.

"While the Model Y's acceleration and skidpad grip of 0.94 g are in line with gasoline-powered rivals like the X4 M Competition and the GLC63 S Coupe, it feels clumsy and increasingly unhappy as you probe its cornering limits. The Tesla's ride is noticeably flintier and less refined, and tire impacts resonate through the structure. The Model Y can't hide its 4439-pound weight. Pressing toward that 0.94-g number taxes the Pirelli P Zero rubber, and the suspension never seems to settle down.

When pushing the Model Y hard, you'll also miss the way the seats offered by the German competition hold you in place. Tesla's seats provide no such support, which makes spirited driving a game of trying to stop sliding around by bracing yourself."

I think there clearly is a level of refinement missing and more obvious in the MYP. But if the car you came from is bad, this might seem good by comparison. Maybe it is in line with your expectations then great. Maybe you have smooth roads, or don't push your car a lot, then probably be happy with either the MY LR or MYP.

Once you find a car that can be performance oriented (not track focused) and still have refinement, it is hard to go back. If you have drunk moonshine all your life and never tried a smooth bourbon or whiskey, you might not know what you are missing. Not saying moonshine can't be smooth but until the last decade or so, that wasn't its focus.

Not saying the MYP is terrible, or even the MY LR is bad as well, but I will say the aftermarket jumped in pretty quickly to fill a perceived gap and they aren't just focused on the performance people as they offer "luxury" versions. So obviously there is a demand due to a perceived deficiency.

So drive the prospective model you are interested in, for as long as you can, in as varied conditions and with different loads as possible. If you can find a demo model with more miles, then you'll see how it is after it has broken in a bit. Sometimes things get worse or better. In the first 3 weeks of ownership, my MY LR has softened up a bit. This has been a good thing/bad thing. It is better for when my MY isn't loaded, but worse when it is. Since most of the time it isn't loaded, this is a good thing but I'll need to see how it is when I am towing.

All in all we are pretty happy at this point with the suspension on our MY LR. The driving dynamics are pretty good until about an 8/10ths pace. For the reason we bought it of daily driver, family hauler, tow a bit vehicle, it has done very well. We'll see how it is in a few thousand more miles.

A lot of folks here are getting into a Tesla for the first time. If youā€™re coming from Lexus, Merc, or even Toyota youā€™ll find the Tesla ride quality pretty unrefined. But if youā€™re used to driving BMW w sport suspension or Honda the Tesla is more tolerable.

Having said that we rented a Mach E this weekend for fun. Man Tesla has nothing on Ford when it comes to suspension and NVH. If I didnā€™t care for autopilot that much thatā€™s the car to get right now. Amazing ride quality, great interior insulation without all the weird noises from the back of the Y. Barely any road noise. As a matter of fact Iā€™ve driven a MYP w the MPP luxury coil and thatā€™s what it felt like without all the tire noise and reverberations from the rear. Makes me think Tesla just neglected to install sound insulation because they needed to delivered these cars ASAP. Just like how the Q2 cars came with a 75mpg AP restricting because they didnā€™t have time to verify safety w a 100% confidence.

Despite the amazing ride quality, the Ford falls short w their copilot (autopilot) and their tablet UI is not as intuitive. But with this kind of competition hopefully Tesla gets their acts together and make their cars better.

I found the Model Y suspension to be a contrast. It is firm when it comes to bumps and road irregularities, yet has a bit too much body roll in turnsā€¦ā€¦..and that includes the MYP. I believe that is why many feel itā€™s either too firm or a little to soft on the turns.

It is not a polished suspension at all, but it is what it is.

I have made two round trips (362 miles each way) from the SF Bay Area (San Jose) to Fontana (LA Basin). I make one recharge supercharger stop each way. I have a LR Y with boost. The ride is perfect. Firm, but, compliant. Seats are wonderful, music is outstanding, Navigation is great and battery % projections are within 1%. For me, It is vastly superior to my: (A) Range Rover (POS) which it replaced - (B) My CTS-V with a manual transmission, was too unreliable and the seats were lacking and (C) my F-250 was okay (seats sucked and it loved the petro). The only comment on the Y is the side view mirrors suck. Replaced them with the SMTSLWS wide view side mirrors. $60 and easy to swap. Oh, the Car and Driver Mustang VS Y article was really bad - total bias.

Last edited:
For the MYP, I think Car and Driver said it pretty well. I think it goes back to the idea of a performance model was approached in a holistic way.

"While the Model Y's acceleration and skidpad grip of 0.94 g are in line with gasoline-powered rivals like the X4 M Competition and the GLC63 S Coupe, it feels clumsy and increasingly unhappy as you probe its cornering limits. The Tesla's ride is noticeably flintier and less refined, and tire impacts resonate through the structure. The Model Y can't hide its 4439-pound weight. Pressing toward that 0.94-g number taxes the Pirelli P Zero rubber, and the suspension never seems to settle down.

When pushing the Model Y hard, you'll also miss the way the seats offered by the German competition hold you in place. Tesla's seats provide no such support, which makes spirited driving a game of trying to stop sliding around by bracing yourself."

I think there clearly is a level of refinement missing and more obvious in the MYP. But if the car you came from is bad, this might seem good by comparison. Maybe it is in line with your expectations then great. Maybe you have smooth roads, or don't push your car a lot, then probably be happy with either the MY LR or MYP.

Once you find a car that can be performance oriented (not track focused) and still have refinement, it is hard to go back. If you have drunk moonshine all your life and never tried a smooth bourbon or whiskey, you might not know what you are missing. Not saying moonshine can't be smooth but until the last decade or so, that wasn't its focus.

Not saying the MYP is terrible, or even the MY LR is bad as well, but I will say the aftermarket jumped in pretty quickly to fill a perceived gap and they aren't just focused on the performance people as they offer "luxury" versions. So obviously there is a demand due to a perceived deficiency.

So drive the prospective model you are interested in, for as long as you can, in as varied conditions and with different loads as possible. If you can find a demo model with more miles, then you'll see how it is after it has broken in a bit. Sometimes things get worse or better. In the first 3 weeks of ownership, my MY LR has softened up a bit. This has been a good thing/bad thing. It is better for when my MY isn't loaded, but worse when it is. Since most of the time it isn't loaded, this is a good thing but I'll need to see how it is when I am towing.

All in all we are pretty happy at this point with the suspension on our MY LR. The driving dynamics are pretty good until about an 8/10ths pace. For the reason we bought it of daily driver, family hauler, tow a bit vehicle, it has done very well. We'll see how it is in a few thousand more miles.
ALL valid to a degree if we are gonna be going into detail as car enthusiasts then sure i will compare the suspension as subpar but not garbage compared to in the same segment

My only issue it would be cool if people always posted what they drove before, because i feel some of these stiffness complaints is cause they were driving plush mobilez

I stick to the same thing i said before if you come from a bmw suv or lexus or most LUXURY suv those are comfort oriented vehicles
I never for once expected a 5k pound behemoth to be comfort oriented as those other luxury suvs when tesla has pretty much kinda seem to have always strayed into performance more than comfort in every segment of their vehicles even the top tier X and S,

At the end of the day its a subjective topic, based on what u have driven u are naturally gonna compare it

Coming from a luxury Suv of almost any brand = Model Y Stiff
Coming From Luxury Midsize Sedans = Probably about the Same
Coming From Sporty Sedans = Model Y rides like a Dream (im in this category)
Coming From compact Sedans - Model Y Rides like a Dream
Coming From Pick up Trucks full size or mid size = Model Y Stiff

minor observation based on personal experience im sure like anything there's vehicles that break that mold

ALL valid to a degree if we are gonna be going into detail as car enthusiasts then sure i will compare the suspension as subpar but not garbage compared to in the same segment

My only issue it would be cool if people always posted what they drove before, because i feel some of these stiffness complaints is cause they were driving plush mobilez

I stick to the same thing i said before if you come from a bmw suv or lexus or most LUXURY suv those are comfort oriented vehicles
I never for once expected a 5k pound behemoth to be comfort oriented as those other luxury suvs when tesla has pretty much kinda seem to have always strayed into performance more than comfort in every segment of their vehicles even the top tier X and S,

At the end of the day its a subjective topic, based on what u have driven u are naturally gonna compare it

Coming from a luxury Suv of almost any brand = Model Y Stiff
Coming From Luxury Midsize Sedans = Probably about the Same
Coming From Sporty Sedans = Model Y rides like a Dream (im in this category)
Coming From compact Sedans - Model Y Rides like a Dream
Coming From Pick up Trucks full size or mid size = Model Y Stiff

minor observation based on personal experience im sure like anything there's vehicles that break that mold

It would take me forever to list the cars I've owned. Not to mention I probably rent another 50 cars a year for work around the world, at least until Covid hit. So I spend a lot of time in a variety of cars. So while I get your point, even given some people a reference point, their experience with the same cars that maybe you have driven, likely will be different just like our individual interpretations of the MY. There is probably some person here who thinks a Conestoga wagon on a cobblestone street rides like a dream because they came from a Fred Flintstonemobile out of the Neanderthal era.

Many people aren't very sophisticated about suspension either. Most here would have no clue (though some would) about the differences between compression and rebound dampening, setting the appropriate sag, high speed and low speed dampening, the effects of camber and so on. So I pretty much give up on this topic. Ignorance for most people is bliss they can take the blue pill, I'll go for the red pill thank you. Once you are expose to something, it is hard to go back. I almost lost my arm a long time ago from a catastrophic suspension failure while motorcycle racing. After that accident, I really spent a lot of time learning about suspension design on cars and motorcycles. Now I am not as consumed by it as I once was and spend less time wrenching now and just want it to work as is.

It would take me forever to list the cars I've owned...spend less time wrenching now and just want it to work as is.

One quick point. These aren't designed as a track car. None of you have even mentioned the sway bars - they could be heavier and would flatten the car our a serious amount, but, like I said, the Y isn't a track car...it is very comfortable cruising on 101, 280, 5, 10 and 210. Handles the twisties just fine for all but the most discerning. Oh, if you want compliant ride a don't get a 20" or larger rim - not enough sidewall to cushion the ride.

I posted that same link in another thread. I do that already. I still would like wider mirrors. A real pain when backing into one stall of our garage. The doors are only 6" wider than the car and mirrors.

I use the backup cameras for exactly this. Specifically the two side view cameras. Make sure the space is equal on both sides and a perfect backup is attained every time. I find it much better than the mirrors as both views are in the same place.