Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, considering purchasing a Model Y....curious about how it rides over bumps and uneven pavement, etc.? I would get the 19" Gemini wheels as I have read these can be a bit softer than the 20" wheels. I do prefer a bit of a softer, comfortable ride.

Right now I own a 2018 Nissan Leaf SL, and it has a very comfortable ride, handles bumps nicely. I think (for my preference) Nissan nailed it on ride comfort vs. sporty feel. I also have a 2018 Outlander PHEV and that rides harsher than the Leaf, it doesn't handle bumps nearly as well and honestly if the road is bad I don't like it.

Has anyone out there driven the Model Y and 2018 or newer Leaf and can give a quick opinion? I have heard in general Tesla's ride fairly harsh. Never driven one yet and live too far from a Service Centre to arrange a test drive.

Thanks.

My wife had a Honda Accord prior to the Model 3 w/ 18" aero wheels. She's had it for 2 years now and has never made a comment about ride quality except that it's amazing.

My previous cars were BMW 3 and 4 series (M4), Lexus GS, Corvette C5/6, and Porsche 911S (991). I also drive a model 3 w/18" wheels and it rides between the BMW and the Lexus. Firm but very comfortable. I've been reading (and watching youtube) about how the Tesla Y is too harsh. I mean guys are spending $3k for coilovers for a better ride.

Well this weekend I went to the dealer and test drove the model Y with the 20" Induction wheels. I took it to the worse part of town where they do all the constructions. After almost an hour of driving around pot holes galore. I was perfectly fine with the Y. It's definitely not that different from my model 3. So not sure what all the complaints are about. If you're concern about the ride just get the Gemini wheels and call it a day. As much as I like the way the Induction wheels look, I'm actually going to get the Gemini and use the $2k for the power boost. Down the road if I like the 20" that much I'll get a set.

I have this completely unsubstantiated theory that early delivery model Ys had much stiffer suspension. I did a lot of recent comparisons between the Y and an Audi Q5 and find them to be about equal. Either that or the people who complain are coming from much softer cars. I have some spine/back issues and find the ride to be very good while still having that sporty dynamic.

I have a Acura and bmw 330 before the Y. MY is by far is the stiffest drive. I took it to the SC and they claimed that it was normal. Some folks here are installing the UP coil at about 2.5k. I am considering it. Also I think the wind noise is a bit more than other cars.
So you need to test drive and pay particular to the stiffness to see if you are OK with it.

Reactions: HumanInput
It’s interesting, I have a Prius Prime and had a Chevy Bolt. The Bolt was the harshest and most uncomfortable riding car I’ve ever had. The Prius Prime seems cushy compared to the MY. But I don't find it uncomfortable. It's just sure handling.

Mine is a 2021 model, don't know if that is making a difference, but compared to the two cars I test drove it's much smoother (one for sure was Stealth model). Also, i find it to be quieter than i remember. I don't hear the road noise like i do the other two cars i owned. So maybe they did change something. I do have the newer windows.

First batch, so apparently we have a firmer set up... who knew? It is firm and handles very, very well. It was a lot stiffer than my wife's 2014 Nissan Rogue and it took her a while to get used to it. It weighs several hundred pounds more, but you cannot feel that difference in any appreciable way. To me it actually feels much more agile and lithe. Now you can't pry it out of her hands since she has grown accustomed to the differences...

Good luck!

SS

My MYP ride is really rough. I feel like a bobble head when I'm driving my car on bad roads. I came from a lexus rc and my wife has a lexus rx. It's a totally different feel. I have coilovers on order. I'm also trading in for the 2021 performance so I'll get a chance to see if there is a noticeable difference.

• Disagree
Reactions: jonzcfo and ucsdsig
My MYP ride is really rough. I feel like a bobble head when I'm driving my car on bad roads. I came from a lexus rc and my wife has a lexus rx. It's a totally different feel. I have coilovers on order. I'm also trading in for the 2021 performance so I'll get a chance to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Thanks yes...and it would be interesting to know if the newer Y's are actually less rough or not. So far this thread seems to indicate the Y is a fairly stiff ride, which for me is not good news.

I have an 895xx build VIN MY with the 20” Turbines. car drives like an BMW M car , so definitely tight and hard sprung suspension. Bad roads will feel like bad roads, very smooth on good surfaces. It is noticeable, and will sometimes be tiring on city outings where potholes and winter snow removal road damage is prevalent . Having said that, it isn’t over the top bad, it’s just very German.
We have a 2016 VW golf sport wagon we love- highline version with all the tech (self parking that works amazing - Tesla wants $10600 for FSD in Canada ..ummm no) and it does a better job of driving sporty and damping out most of the road chatter- VWs MQB chassis is very nice compromise IMHO.

I’m only 4 days in to my Model Y ownership so will have to see how the comfort is over a longer period

The ride on the LR w/ 20" wheels is not bad over small bumps, but could be abrupt over bigger bumps. Jarring enough so that I guarantee you won't be operating the touchscreen without first stabilizing your hand with your other fingers against the edge of the screen when going over the bumps.

I'm coming from having a 13 highlander. I have a 2021 long range with 19 inch gemnis my I thought the ride felt a little bumpy with the original continentals that came with it but not terrible. I swapped them out after only 150 miles and got Vredestein winter pro trac tires. Definetly has softened the ride atleast a little bit. I think tires you get will make a big difference personally and a lot cheaper then after market springs with installation charges.

Id say test drive the car before you get it. Honestly once you get the tesla smile you really don't want any other car. If the ride is too harsh consider swapping tires if you still want it or possibly getting a used s or x with air suspension which might be more your cup of tea. I personally love the way the y feels getting in and out combined with how it handles but we all like different things.

Reactions: EVortex
Coming from a 2013 Prius, I find the ride of the MY luxurious, and much quieter than my old car. The stiff suspension is fun imo (coming from someone who likes to take turns kinda fast). I also replaced the wheels / tires with 18in R241s and Crossclimate SUV tires, so that has likely softened up the ride a lot.

Reactions: Nolakai and EVortex
Like you, I prefer a smoother ride when driving what is advertised as a luxury vehicle; unfortunately the MY is definitely a stiffer ride. IMHO, when compared to my wife's (cheaper) Lexus RX 350, there is no contest; the Lexus wins hands down.

Here is a video posted by Ryan Shaw about this very issue, and what he did to combat it.

I have seen the recent programming leaks indicating that the MY could be moving towards an air suspension, but I don't know to what degree this would address the problem of a rougher ride.

While aftermarket kits can be installed, it bothers me that I would have to immediately install an aftermarket kit on a $50,000.00 car; obviously other car companies have done a great job on their cars at a lesser price so for a cutting edge company like Tesla this should be a no-brainer.

Like you, I prefer a smoother ride when driving what is advertised as a luxury vehicle; unfortunately the MY is definitely a stiffer ride. IMHO, when compared to my wife's (cheaper) Lexus RX 350, there is no contest; the Lexus wins hands down.

Here is a video posted by Ryan Shaw about this very issue, and what he did to combat it.

I have seen the recent programming leaks indicating that the MY could be moving towards an air suspension, but I don't know to what degree this would address the problem of a rougher ride.

While aftermarket kits can be installed, it bothers me that I would have to immediately install an aftermarket kit on a $50,000.00 car; obviously other car companies have done a great job on their cars at a lesser price so for a cutting edge company like Tesla this should be a no-brainer.

This is a great example of how people come to different conclusions on the Y's ride. For my tastes, the RX350 is the worst-handling car I've ever driven. I think it feels like trying to drive a marshmallow. Some folks are going to like those characteristics. For them, the Y is going to be too rough.

I'm coming from sports cars and sports sedans with modified suspensions and low-profile tires. I think the Y is just slightly to the firm side of normal, and would be better off with taller profile tires. But it is much more comfortable than what I'm used to.

This is a great example of how people come to different conclusions on the Y's ride. For my tastes, the RX350 is the worst-handling car I've ever driven. I think it feels like trying to drive a marshmallow. Some folks are going to like those characteristics. For them, the Y is going to be too rough.

I'm coming from sports cars and sports sedans with modified suspensions and low-profile tires. I think the Y is just slightly to the firm side of normal, and would be better off with taller profile tires. But it is much more comfortable than what I'm used to.

I agree 100%. To me, the Lexus is a grandpa vehicle. squishy, too much roll. Not my thing at all.