Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought my 2021 MY was a little bit to firm and discovered the cold tire pressures were 43psi all around. For local driving, I reduced the pressures to 40psi and seems much less firm riding. I may even experiment with 38 or 39 psi. Of course with longer road trips where range is more of an issue, I’ll bump them back to 42.
I went to 38 cold psi and it helped the firm ride, but not as much as I wish. The only thing I don't like about my 2021 Y is the suspension. I'm hoping Tesla will come out with an upgrade package with AVS.

That isn’t something Tesla is likely to do. What they could probably do instead is use better springs/shocks on the Y rather than the current ones that feel like they only have 1/2 of travel and bottom out over anything larger than a rock. Think hippopotamus on a spring mattress.

MPP (and their competitors) make fantastic coilovers but they are pricey, and most people buying the comfort coilovers would likely just set it once or twice and never again. If they offered a non-adjustable coilover set with comfortable settings I would definitely buy them.

I wanted the MYP but went LR purely because of the stories regarding the ride.

I find the LR perfectly acceptable for ride quality, but not stellar. It does very well with minor imperfections but struggles much more with larger bumps, as if there simply isn’t enough suspension travel, regardless of the spring rates.

For what it’s worth it replaced a 2018 Mercedes E-Class with the mild AMG sport suspension and those two cars have eerily similar ride quality.

I found the ride quality harder to justify in the E-Class since it was a luxury sedan and certainly wasn’t sporty in any meaningful sense.

For a very heavy and fast SUV to have a very similar ride quality feels like a win in some way.

Reactions: skiwhmts
I wanted the MYP but went LR purely because of the stories regarding the ride.

I find the LR perfectly acceptable for ride quality, but not stellar. It does very well with minor imperfections but struggles much more with larger bumps, as if there simply isn’t enough suspension travel, regardless of the spring rates.
@DupaCannon did you opt for the 19" Gemini or 20" Induction wheels?

I own a June 2018 M3P+ purchased in 2018 when you had the option to have the 3P w/o performance suspension, mine is the + which has the performance suspension which has approx. 15000 miles. My wife's car is a July 2020 MY LR with standard wheels in which we have done approx. 3000 miles.
Overall I find the M3P+ to have a slightly better ride. However, this is mostly due to the MY having a chopper ride at slow speeds. On the freeway there is not much difference.
It does seem to be that the MY is slightly quieter on the freeway but with a bit more thumping.
I am thinking of getting dual rate springs for the Y to make it more comfortable around town.

I just sent an email to Unplugged Performance, asking for an update on the arrival of the "Comfort" springs that I'm interested in. I'd like to get this taken care of. Now at 3800 miles, for sure softer than the first 1k miles, but a 250mile drive in rural central TX has convinced me a change is in order. My wife, sitting in back, said, "Wow. If I were on an airplane and it was bouncing like this, I'd be worried!!!"

The Continental ProContacts sure do like to grumble LOUDLY on rough aggregate concrete or asphalt. Wondering if the top-rated Bridgestone QuietTracks would be quieter?????

STILL debating going to the coilovers, but an approved installer I spoke with said it would possibly be overkill, since I'm not tracking it or autocrossing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash
The ride on the Y is harsh. And I mean HARSH. It’s the worst part of the experience IMO.
It's the only reason for me to NOT pull the trigger on the model Y. That and cross traffic alert that may be added in the future. Otherwise I would purchase. FSD? Probably won't realistically happen until the fourth quarter. Not sure what year. I do like some features the competition in coming out with. I hope they resolved these issue by the time a big tax credit is offered for electric in the future. I'll be in line like the rest of the US population if that happens.

STILL debating going to the coilovers, but an approved installer I spoke with said it would possibly be overkill, since I'm not tracking it or autocrossing.
Yeah, it's overkill but it does make a noticeable difference. I went with them for both the adjustability on the bound/rebound along with eliminating the wheel gap since I'm using aftermarket wheels. Worth every penny. Very comfortable on the stock 19" Continental (crappy, loud tire btw) and still comfortable with 255/40/20. I was hoping my Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires would be a little quieter than the ProContact RX but they're not. Just poor sound deadening in the wheel wells by Tesla.

1619635691446.png
1619635702873.png

I actually enjoy looking at my car now with the ugly 19" factory wheels w/ aero covers are off the car (until winter again haha)

we did the 20” wheels after reading compelling analysis on another thread essentially saying:

a) not a huge proportional sidewall difference from 19 to 20

b) plenty of used gemini wheels on the secondary market, very few and generally expensive 20” factory take offs

c) oem tire quality MUCH better on the 20 than the 19- ride, sound, handling

d) cost of 20” setup new is closer to 2500 than 2k, with secondary market take offs trending close to that amount

Reactions: pt19713
Yeah, it's overkill but it does make a noticeable difference. I went with them for both the adjustability on the bound/rebound along with eliminating the wheel gap since I'm using aftermarket wheels. Worth every penny. Very comfortable on the stock 19" Continental (crappy, loud tire btw) and still comfortable with 255/40/20. I was hoping my Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires would be a little quieter than the ProContact RX but they're not. Just poor sound deadening in the wheel wells by Tesla.

View attachment 657773 View attachment 657774

I actually enjoy looking at my car now with the ugly 19" factory wheels w/ aero covers are off the car (until winter again haha)

Thanks so much for sharing your experience :)

My MYP ride is really rough. I feel like a bobble head when I'm driving my car on bad roads. I came from a lexus rc and my wife has a lexus rx. It's a totally different feel. I have coilovers on order. I'm also trading in for the 2021 performance so I'll get a chance to see if there is a noticeable difference.
Hello! Have you received your 2021 MYP yet? I’m deciding between the MY and MYP. I have a M3P now and love the power and ride. What are your thoughts? Thx!

Hello! Have you received your 2021 MYP yet? I’m deciding between the MY and MYP. I have a M3P now and love the power and ride. What are your thoughts? Thx!
We took delivery of a regular LR MY with 20” wheels (then added acceleration boost).

The 20” wheels are ironically too bumpy for me, especially on city streets - but my wife doesn’t complain because she loved the look.

We test drove the MYP and the ride quality was seriously just too harsh.

The fact that you are asking about it means you should prepare to invest in coilovers If you go the MYP route.

I ordered a MYP. Both my wife and I weren't really happy with the ride quality of it or the M3P that we drove back to back. I decided to forego the red paint and put that money toward coilovers. My wife normally doesn't pay much attention to suspension but on both the performance models she complained whenever we weren't on the highway.

I can't say I was impressed either. I am more understanding about it but I think this was the weakest length for both the MYP and M3P. I spend thousands of miles in rental cars for work and on all kinds of roads. I can't recall in recent memory any rental car I had that rode worse. Not looking for a luxury car ride as I am very performance oriented. The suspension doesn't deliver in almost any situation. Even a semi rides good on smooth pavement. It crashes into the bump stop easily and is very poorly dampened overall.

Now if you have pretty good roads you might be fine. I just figure the suspension is part of the Tesla tax. I'll buy it and forget it after I dial it in. I do like the fact that the coilovers from UP or MPP are adjustable. Wish the rear was easier to get to. It could be a major plus when towing a trailer to dial in the rear for the load. I have an Acura RDX Advance that the MYP will replace. Its suspension is worlds better. Factor in it is electronically adjustable and it does a very good job on all kinds of pavement. Even in sport mode, it rides better on any road surface than the MYP or M3P did.

Tesla should spend an extra $200 per car and you could have a huge upgrade from the factory without going electronically adjustable or air suspension. I'd prefer less complexity if possible.

Even a semi rides good on smooth pavement. It crashes into the bump stop easily and is very poorly dampened overall.

Now if you have pretty good roads you might be fine.

Tesla should spend an extra $200 per car and you could have a huge upgrade from the factory without going electronically adjustable or air suspension. I'd prefer less complexity if possible.
I've recently placed my order with MPP and will follow up on an install when I receive them. I plan on installing them myself at a DIY garage nearby.

I've driven KW V3 coilovers on another vehicle. I can say that the difference before and after install was very surprising because I didn't expect the coilovers to change the ride that much. But they did-and in two ways, not one. I couldn't get my head over the fact that not only the car rode more comfortably, but that it also didn't sag or lean into turns as it did before. Not like lowering springs, where the ride gets harsher. Or changing just shocks, which gives a little more sag or firmness depending on how the dials are adjusted. I guess it falls into the engineering triangle:

-Awesome Ride
-Superior Handling
-Low Price

To which you can only pick two of the three. Considering how much KW V3's (and even competitors like Ohlins DFV) cost, you can already see which of the above two you get.

If anything, I think Tesla should at least have adjustable coilovers on their top trim level, the Performance. People should get the awesome handling and comfort in addition to the high power and stupidly huge/heavy wheels (Tesla refers to them as Uberturbines). And when I say coilovers, they should contract that out to a performance shop to do it. It would be a much easier sell and the car would be a lot more attractive than it already is.

Last edited:
I've recently placed my order with MPP and will follow up on an install when I receive them. I plan on installing them myself at a DIY garage nearby.

I've driven KW V3 coilovers on another vehicle. I can say that the difference before and after install was very surprising because I didn't expect the coilovers to change the ride that much. But they did-and in two ways, not one. I couldn't get my head over the fact that not only the car rode more comfortably, but that it also didn't sag or lean into turns as it did before. Not like lowering springs, where the ride gets harsher. Or changing just shocks, which gives a little more sag or firmness depending on how the dials are adjusted. I guess it falls into the engineering triangle:

-Awesome Ride
-Superior Handling
-Low Price

To which you can only pick two of the three. Considering how much KW V3's (and even competitors like Ohlins DFV) cost, you can already see which of the above two you get.

If anything, I think Tesla should at least have adjustable coilovers on their top trim level, the Performance. People should get the awesome handling and comfort in addition to the high power and stupidly huge wheels. And when I say coilovers, they should contract that out to a performance shop to do it. It would be a much easier sell and the car would be a lot more attractive than it already is.
KW actually makes some adjustable suspension for OEM's like Porsche and Ford which I got to see at the factory. Unsurprisingly the spring perches are locked in at a set ride height, but the customer is allowed to adjust the damping forces!

We took delivery of a regular LR MY with 20” wheels (then added acceleration boost).

The 20” wheels are ironically too bumpy for me, especially on city streets - but my wife doesn’t complain because she loved the look.

We test drove the MYP and the ride quality was seriously just too harsh.

The fact that you are asking about it means you should prepare to invest in coilovers If you go the MYP route.
Thx for the reply and your thoughts!!!

Reactions: john85775
I have a three week old LR with 20" rims and boost. I like the ride and performance. I'm in California and the roads are fairly smooth. I cruise at 75 and the ride is quiet and comfortable. I have UPP lowering springs on order and will, most likely, go with heavier sway bars. On grooved concrete the car hunts a bit more than I like.

Reactions: Nolakai
Just completed 2500 mile r/t, DFW to Bradenton, FL, on a well-broken-in LR MY Dual Motor (5k miles). MOST of the ride was wonderfully smooth, easy, on newer asphalt/concrete. Even older asphalt.

On I20, through Shreveport, it was sometimes terrifying, like driving too fast off-road. The car was airborne at times, even at 55-60mph. Thankfully, no cabin rattles, thumps, clunks, nothing fell off. I was impressed the interior didn't start falling apart.

I'm now even MORE impatient for the MPP Coilover kit. I don't expect it to tame the (dangerous) rough concrete in Shreveport, but I"m looking forward to significant improvement in my region. Some of the roughest concrete here is within 3-4 miles of the suspension installer, so he'll have adequate access to testing and dialing in the suspension.

Now...about the cabin noise...It's deafening at times, on rough aggregate surfaces. My ears will need a day or two to recover. I will be exploring sound-deadening solutions, although I know (there's a very thorough thread here) the results my be limited.

LOVE the car: HVAC was flawless, seat very comfortable, tracks perfectly (even after 2 drives through Shreveport!!HAHA) , handles well. Cruise control? A bit tricky to control when passing slower cars, as it wants to decelerate first (engine braking) , then lunges. As with any new car, it's a modest learning curve, but otherwise, an extremely satisfying drive. Stopping every 110-180 miles was perfect for me, and my energized MiniAussie. Frequent breaks made for an easy (each way) 27 hour trip, w/o hotel. Catnaps sufficed.

Reactions: Nolakai