Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for an interesting thread. I am writing from Norway, where no Ys have been delivered so far. The first batch (including our Model Y LR) is set to arrive in late August/early Sept. However, I am concerned about ride quality; the more so after reading some of the threads on this forum and seeing various YouTube-videos. Yet it is hard to find a realistic evaluation of the suspension and ride quality, as different people have different standards, and some people just brush off the ride issue by saying they prefer sports car performance around corners (I don’t).
I see several people comparing it to their Acuras or M2s and Toyotas etc. Some of these models we don’t have in Scandinavia and for the others I suspect that suspension setup differs between the US and Europe anyway (this is the case with Toyota, for instance). So this gives no clear comparison either.
Therefore, I’m wondering if anyone who owns a Model S (non-Raven; non-Performance) with air suspension and also drives a Y LR, could please give their opinion on the differences in ride quality. We have a 2016 70D today and the plan is to replace it with the Y. I find the S is a comfortable car out on the road though it could handle bumps and pot holes better at low speeds. On the whole it is a smooth and settled drive. I understand that the Y will be somewhat stiffer but am concerned that it will also have a more unsettled ride, bouncing more all over the place on irregular surfaces while the S just glides along. Am I correct or is this worry unfounded? Many thanks for any advice on this.

I had a Model S loaner for about a week while an AC compressor oil leak in my brand new 2020 Long Range Model Y was repaired. The estimated 2016 Model S was 4 years old, had 66k miles. The Model S seemed more planted on the road than the Model Y. There is no denying that the longer wheel base of the Model S helps provide a superior ride. This was a RWD Model S, locked in Chill mode. Even so, I was able to appreciate the sensation of the strong thrust of the RWD electric motor. I don't know if the Model S had the air suspension. I recall that when driving local roads where major road construction had been going on for more than a year the Model S just seemed to float over the uneven road surfaces. I did not drive the Model S on the highway during the time I had the Model S.

I am confident I made the right decision in getting the Model Y. The higher seating/driving position, ease of entry and overall size of the Model Y makes it more suitable for local streets and parking lots/garages. The Model S fit in my garage but was at least one foot longer than the Model Y. The interior of the Model S was beyond minimalist, even spartan compared to the Model Y and the Model Y is devoid of most passenger cabin features such as grab handles. Not having a center console in the Model S was beyond annoying as any item placed in the center between the front seats would move around. The center arm rest of the Model S was poorly designed; whenever you extend the arm rest the cup holders were not accessible.

Now that there is a refreshed Model S available starting with Plaid I'm still not interested in owning a Model S. I almost never have rear seat passengers so the rear seats screens would never be used. I'm not a fan of the yoke steering wheel.

Model Y owners are quick to judge the ride without waiting ~5000km for the suspension to break in. The ride of the Model Y does improve a bit over time. I have only driven my Model Y, it has the 19" wheels and the OE Continental Procontact RX all season tires. How many months of the year do drivers use winter tires in Norway because the OE tires perform poorly when driving in snow and ice conditions. The ride with winter tires may be noticeably harder or softer than with the OE tires.

Last edited:
I had a Model S loaner for about a week while an AC compressor oil leak in my brand new 2020 Long Range Model Y was repaired. The estimated 2016 Model S was 4 years old, had 66k miles. The Model S seemed more planted on the road than the Model Y. There is no denying that the longer wheel base of the Model S helps provide a superior ride. This was a RWD Model S, locked in Chill mode. Even so, I was able to appreciate the sensation of the strong thrust of the RWD electric motor. I don't know if the Model S had the air suspension. I recall that when driving local roads where major road construction had been going on for more than a year the Model S just seemed to float over the uneven road surfaces. I did not drive the Model S on the highway during the time I had the Model S.

I am confident I made the right decision in getting the Model Y. The higher seating/driving position, ease of entry and overall size of the Model Y makes it more suitable for local streets and parking lots/garages. The Model S fit in my garage but was at least one foot longer than the Model Y. The interior of the Model S was beyond minimalist, even spartan compared to the Model Y and the Model Y is devoid of most passenger cabin features such as grab handles. Not having a center console in the Model S was beyond annoying as any item placed in the center between the front seats would move around. The center arm rest of the Model S was poorly designed; whenever you extend the arm rest the cup holders were not accessible.

Now that there is a refreshed Model S available starting with Plaid I'm still not interested in owning a Model S. I almost never have rear seat passengers so the rear seats screens would never be used. I'm not a fan of the yoke steering wheel.
Thank you for your reply! On those local roads where construction was going on, how would you describe the ride of your Y? I agree on all the other advantages that you describe about the Y but ride could be a real deal braker for us.

Thank you for your reply! On those local roads where construction was going on, how would you describe the ride of your Y? I agree on all the other advantages that you describe about the Y but ride could be a real deal braker for us.
I drive local roads most of the time, rarely faster than 45 to 50 MPH (75 km/hr). Most of the local roads have a maximum speed limit of 35 MPH (56 km/hr). When approaching a rough patch of road such as a construction zone I always slow down. (The noted road construction zone has a 30 MPH speed limit.) Reducing the speed of the Model Y helps prevent bottoming out the suspension. This road construction zone has been patched, paved and fitted with steel plates and dug up repeatedly. This short stretch of road is usually restricted to only one or two lanes of traffic instead of the normal three lanes so I have learned to avoid it entirely. If I stick to the speed limit (30 MPH) on another longer road (about a mile in length with only two stop signs) that has seen its share of repairs the ride is firm without being harsh. If I drive faster than 30 MPH on that longer road I notice the imperfections in the road surface. It is worth noting that tire pressure makes a difference (+2 lbs of tire pressure over the recommended 42 PSI improves the ride in my opinion). Temperature seems to make a difference too. In colder weather the suspension of my Model Y seems stiffer.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I drive local roads most of the time, rarely faster than 45 to 50 MPH (75 km/hr). Most of the local roads have a maximum speed limit of 35 MPH (56 km/hr). When approaching a rough patch of road such as a construction zone I always slow down. (The noted road construction zone has a 30 MPH speed limit.) Reducing the speed of the Model Y helps prevent bottoming out the suspension. This road construction zone has been patched, paved and fitted with steel plates and dug up repeatedly. This short stretch of road is usually restricted to only one or two lanes of traffic instead of the normal three lanes so I have learned to avoid it entirely. If I stick to the speed limit (30 MPH) on another longer road (about a mile in length with only two stop signs) that has seen its share of repairs the ride is firm without being harsh. If I drive faster than 30 MPH on that longer road I notice the imperfections in the road surface. It is worth noting that tire pressure makes a difference (+2 lbs of tire pressure over the recommended 42 PSI improves the ride in my opinion). Temperature seems to make a difference too. In colder weather the suspension of my Model Y seems stiffer.
Thank you for a very thorough reply. «Stiff but not harsh» I guess I could live with.

Regarding your earlier question about winter tires in Norway: All season tires is not commonly seen here. We drive on summer or winter tires, and most likely of a different quality than both the US and the rest of Europe, both because of the temperature in winter and because some parts of the country has very wet road conditions all year around. So the main priority for tires is grip, grip, grip. Longevity, noise and consumption all come further down on the priority list for many of us, though low consumption tires are coming more and more with electrical cars. All season tires are deemed not to have sufficient grip on asphalt in wet conditions, so a summer tire with harder rubber is usually chosen April-October. Depending on where you live, people will swear to either studded or winter tires in the cold season. Studded tires have very hard rubber in order to hold the spikes, while the winter tires are much softer and actually more quiet than summer tires. But still Scandinavian winter tires are of a different rubber quality than tires produced for the rest of Europe, because they have to work in very cold temperatures.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I understand that the Y will be somewhat stiffer but am concerned that it will also have a more unsettled ride, bouncing more all over the place on irregular surfaces while the S just glides along. Am I correct or is this worry unfounded?
I have a MY LR AWD, and yes, according to my wife, my kid, and even myself, it is a rough ride on any road that is not smooth. Air suspension would be the best ride. However, you can upgrade the MY or M3 suspension with springs (OK maybe) or more expensive coilovers for a much improved, comfortable ride. Air suspension would be best, but Elon Musk has said that he won't offer Air suspension as an option or upgrade, so that means the springs or coilovers. See the thread I started here.

I think the MY LR AWD suspension rides fine and is OK overall. I'd call it low average. Certainly it's a weak point considering the price of the vehicle. A typical 55k car is going to have better suspension but not the performance. I'd like to see more travel, more damping, and similar or somewhat stiffer springs. Stiffer antiroll bars might do the trick with a similar spring rate. The I-Pace with air springs and taller suspension corners far flatter without all the waft of the MY, but the ride quality is about the same. That's a pretty advanced system. The Forester has more roll and less grip but better damping, with less wallow, a softer ride, and far more travel.

I would not skip the MY because of the suspension. I'd get the MY and then, if you're unhappy, upgrade the suspension.

Reactions: miracj
Thank you for some interesting evaluations. I‘m a bit concerned about upgrading the springs - wouldn’t it void the factory warranty? Apart from that it seems a logical thing to do.

Also, I drove a Ford Mach-e the other day and found it to be quite OK. Very «German» suspension - firm but by no means uncomfortable over potholes and irregularities, and supple out on main roads. Has anyone tried both this and the Y?

I used to work for a large Japanese car manufacturer I got out of college. I got my foot in the door as an engineer by adjudicating warranty claims before I finally got into the area I wanted to work in. There are all kinds of ways to drive a bus through the hole that is opened up when you start modifying your vehicle. If you are lucky, they will repair just for goodwill. If the amount is big enough, they will fight you tooth and nail. I knew the system very well and when I had to fight with a large German car company. Even though I knew I was on the right side of this, it took me almost 9 months to get an issue proven, and finally getting an attorney, just because they claimed, without proof, that I was modifying the car. There were no actual mods done, but just them claiming I modded the car kept it tied up for months. Imagine how much easier it would have been for them if they could have something concrete to show for a mod.

If the manufacturer wants to be a jerk, there are all kinds of ways they could claim related issues because of a simple spring change. Think of any upstream or downstream part it touches and you can make a plausible case in a lot of situations for denial. We already know that Tesla doesn't really care about us as owners. So don't expect a lot of support from them. You can read all you want into the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, but the typical owner doesn't have the resources to fight these companies in court, even if you are right.

In the end, I was able to force them to buy back the car. Total time spent was almost a year to resolve it.

I am amused by many of the ride comments… some even putting on coil overs. Tire may be the source of your problems. Prius was terrible, Civic was terrible, BMW was terrible, and all were great after changing tires. Why Manufactures spend millions on suspension development and then put on cheap tires… ?
Already planning to pull the cheapies and put on Bridgestone QuietTracks. Made a huge difference on our BMW 340i. 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: FSD_Scribe
I am amused by many of the ride comments… some even putting on coil overs. Tire may be the source of your problems. Prius was terrible, Civic was terrible, BMW was terrible, and all were great after changing tires. Why Manufactures spend millions on suspension development and then put on cheap tires… ?
Already planning to pull the cheapies and put on Bridgestone QuietTracks. Made a huge difference on our BMW 340i. 🤔
You're correct that tires can make a big difference. In the case of the MY, there's enough noise in the messages to suggest suspension issues are more than just imagination.
In my opinion, after racing Porsches for 10 years, driving Lexus for 300K miles, BMW, SUV's, towing, etc, the MY suspension can be improved.
Suspension is always a subjective subject, especially on the internet, so one man's sow's ear is another's silk purse.

Reactions: iustin