Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride quality; can it be extrapolated based on the S, X and 3?

Schmidlack

Sep 23, 2019
San Diego
I have a Model Y pre-purchase agreement placed and am curious/concerned about the ride quality. Given that most SUV's/Crossovers require firmer suspension to compensate for their higher center of gravity, I am concerned the Model Y may not be compliant enough for what I want. And the main reason for going with the Y is the hatchback, so I really don't want the 3. Can anyone guesstimate what the Y's ride quality might be like in comparison to the other Tesla models?

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
So far the Model 3 and Model Y seems to have only spring suspension so they would be very similar.

The Model Y will be a little bit taller, but most of the weight would be very low to the ground.
However, it seems that the Model Y tires will be 255 wide instead of Model 3 tires of 235 wide

However, with the additional body weight and the third row option with two additional (small) passengers,
the suspension might be a little more stiff.

There was mention to have Adaptive Suspension damping like the Model S and Model Y.

Last edited:

Dan Detweiler

Apr 21, 2016
Canton, Georgia
Just seconding what Watts_Up said above. Those would be my exact guesses as well. I doubt it will be as nimble in the mountain switchbacks as Model 3 but will be very similar.

Dan

arghx7

Aug 6, 2019
Michigan
You gotta remember that the wheel and tire size choice has an effect on ride quality. The 18 inch wheels with their higher profile tires are more compliant.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC