Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rodent damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This can happen to any car. I had a Ford Explorer many years ago and one day I opened the hood and.....I found little feet marks on the engine shroud. Mice (or rats). I parked my car just outside the garage, which was near a fruit tree (orange tree), which naturally attracted rodents. Thankfully, no issues after that.

I know of someone who also had some rodent damage (chewed wiring). He, too, parked his car outside near an area which had fruit trees. They are attracted to a warm engine at night.

• Helpful
Reactions: Reborn
Yeah do a search, common issue with any car, more so in different parts of the country. In AZ lots of pack rats and squirrels that will feast on any wiring available. A garage is your best defense.

With Halloween next week, I've seen people asking how to stop rodents from snacking on their jack o lanterns, and the 2 suggestions that keep on coming up are cayenne pepper and Vick's vapour rub. No idea if this can help with your vehicle, not sure you want to cover your car in Vick's or cayenne powder, but perhaps there is a clue there... But if rodents are chewing on your wiring, good chance that wiring has soy based insulation and that is what they are after.

https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com/2017/03/21/prevent-squirrels-eating-car-wires/

Apparently, some Tesla models have had serious damage due to rodents. Does anyone know if the Model Y is as vulnerable?

Was vulnerable, so I activated 3&Y Rat Buster Mode! ;)

20200903_201550.jpg

I live in the country. Those little mice are no joke!!! A neighbor had $4.5k damage to a Subaru from mice, and another had $12.5k in damage to a Prius! Those little bastards!!

I try to use peppermint oil and those bags of odor repellant. So far no issues. Correlation isn't causation, but.....it's working so far.

Rodents ate the wire off the knock sensor under the manifold of my Acura. Appears they use soy in the insulation.

Mine part even had a picture of rodents with x on them to tell them to stay away. Sample in attached link.

Would have been $900, except I got my daughter to contort her arm and get it under the intake to start threading the part in.

2006-2017 Honda Sub-Wire, Knock Sensor 30531-R70-A00 | All Discount Parts Store

Rodents have attacked and invaded our Model Y. They have chewed on the firewall insulation and tore up some tissue paper in the center console in the cabin. I discovered the tissue paper evidence yesterday and, today, removed the maintenance panel to try to determine how the rodent got in. So far, I have some ideas, but nothing definitive. If there is anyone who has definitive information, please let us know. As a retired person who spent his career designing products, managing design projects, and doing extensive work to ensure quality in design and manufacturing (although not involving autos), I have no tolerance for automobiles that fall victim to rodents. No excuse! That said, we are now relegated to band-aids and anti-rodent potions. There are sprays that repel mice, so I sprayed one of these products all over the equipment and surfaces normally concealed by the maintenance panel except the top of the 12V battery. Although I found no damage, there are unprotected wires behind the 12V battery. One suspect entry point is through the cabin air intake. I cut wire mesh to go over that and cut a small piece to cover a drain hole in the bottom of the air intake. Does anyone have definitive information as to where the rodents are getting into the cabin?

Attachments

• 20201031_112311.jpg
    20201031_112311.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 369
  • 20201031_113102.jpg
    20201031_113102.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 362
  • 20201031_113150b.jpg
    20201031_113150b.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 20201031_113211.jpg
    20201031_113211.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 20201031_164236.jpg
    20201031_164236.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 20201031_164516.jpg
    20201031_164516.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 20201031_164611.jpg
    20201031_164611.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 20201031_164806.jpg
    20201031_164806.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 338
Although I appreciate the suggestions that I have received related to dealing with Tesla pests, I think the magnitude of the problem deserves professionally designed kits, specifically for Tesla models. I have created a group called "Tesla Pests" and hope that people will promote it to attract the attention of people and organizations that can make that happen. The group is on an extremely popular social media platform.

Wow, I appreciate your pain but pack rats, squirrels, mice, etc... get into ALL cars regardless of make and cause extensive damage. Easiest solution is to park your car in a well kept garage. Lot's of people around here (who park outside) leave their hoods up at night, put lights under the hoods, etc... to combat the problem.

Anyway, good luck!

Wow, I appreciate your pain but pack rats, squirrels, mice, etc... get into ALL cars regardless of make and cause extensive damage. Easiest solution is to park your car in a well kept garage. Lot's of people around here (who park outside) leave their hoods up at night, put lights under the hoods, etc... to combat the problem.

Anyway, good luck!
I absolutely understand that rodents are problems for many cars. That doesn't mean that we must live with this. As a retired product designer, I know that there are professionals with the backing of capable manufacturers that can come up with solutions, especially if the kits are customized to particular models. I would gladly pay $300 and probably more if I knew that the solution was robust. I don't have a garage, and as Teslas come down in price, ungaraged Teslas will become common. People are spending thousands of dollars to fix rodent damage. This problem deserves a robust solution.

Reactions: Bp25 and Nolakai
Rodents have attacked and invaded our Model Y. They have chewed on the firewall insulation and tore up some tissue paper in the center console in the cabin. I discovered the tissue paper evidence yesterday and, today, removed the maintenance panel to try to determine how the rodent got in. So far, I have some ideas, but nothing definitive. If there is anyone who has definitive information, please let us know. As a retired person who spent his career designing products, managing design projects, and doing extensive work to ensure quality in design and manufacturing (although not involving autos), I have no tolerance for automobiles that fall victim to rodents. No excuse! That said, we are now relegated to band-aids and anti-rodent potions. There are sprays that repel mice, so I sprayed one of these products all over the equipment and surfaces normally concealed by the maintenance panel except the top of the 12V battery. Although I found no damage, there are unprotected wires behind the 12V battery. One suspect entry point is through the cabin air intake. I cut wire mesh to go over that and cut a small piece to cover a drain hole in the bottom of the air intake. Does anyone have definitive information as to where the rodents are getting into the cabin?

I am trying to rodent proof the car, and asked the service tech if we can put wire-mesh and then I saw your pictures?
You seem to be putting two sets of wire mesh: one towards the thinner end of the intake and the other on the big end.
What kind of Ingres do the the wire-mesh prevent?