Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof flew off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
honestly the original post seems fishy, guy posted 2 sec video and 2 blurry overexposed pics. like huh? if roof really came off while driving, dude pull over immediately. who in their right mind would keep driving? call a tow truck. also, that class roof would have been run over, other cars would stop, call 911 and etc. also where's the roof now? it doesn't just disappear. OP posted very little detail.

The next time your roof flies off, please take the time out of your day from insurance, lawyers, service center trips to update us here with pics & video at highway speeds.

Ok. Ok ok, took me a while but I got i I think.

This is another example of a Tesla FUD... female unfrocking device of course. When the top comes off, the tops come off! Good one, Elon!

meh, if you have to force it it’s probably *sugar*, like Tesla’s QA...

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Xtek and NY_Rob
Maybe you aren't from the US or are from a less populated part of the US. In high population density areas it's quite common to have no where to pull off to and have signs posted saying not to stop in the road way for any reason on some portions of major roads and interstates (bridges, ramps, tunnels are all common reasons for such postings).
happy3powner is probably from the Vancouver BC area. YVR is the airport code for the Vancouver's airport.

Although the Vancouver BC and the surrounding area is a major metro area, Canada's overall population density is very low vs. the US. Canada's population is lower than California yet has a land area larger than the US.

That's within spec...

I've been laughing and giggling NON STOP for the past 30 minutes at this reply. NON STOP.

giphy-downsized.gif

Reactions: whitex and CyberGus
Roofs flying off aren't a "Tesla" thing. EVERY 2005 - 2007 Corvette with a fixed roof was recalled after a BUNCH of them flew off while their owners were driving them. GM first tried to "Band Aid" this debacle by having their dealers re-glue them. When that failed recall #2 replaced the roofs... which required that EACH roof (there were ~ 23,000 recalled) had to be repainted by the Chevy dealerships. Many roofs were sent to independent body shops since most dealers didn't have body shops... and paint color and "eggshell" mismatches were common. Recall #3 was to fix the issues recall #2 created, FINALLY securing these 23,000 roofs on properly. OUCH

GM Issues Recall for 2005-07 Corvettes for Faulty Roof - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle

Corvette Z06 Sheds Its Roof Panel During A Drag Race: Video

My 2006 Corvette Z06 had to go in 3 times to finally get a roof that would stay on. This was a BIG deal since it's top speed was 198 mph... and the low roof put your head right next to the roof... and it was a LOT less aerodynamic / NOISIER than our 2015 Tesla P85D.

And this, from 2006 no less, is supposed to make the owners of 2020 Tesla Model Y feel OK ?
What happened to Chevrolet back in 2006 has NO bearing on the crappy QC at Tesla.
People who wear the rose colored glasses supplied by Tesla usually come up with rebuttals like this, if it happens to another manufacturer, it's somehow defensible. Fact is, Tesla proudly proclaimed at the onset that it's a "disruptor", they don't care about what anybody else is doing, they have a very admirable mission, just do it the right way. Have some measures in place to ensure that your QC is up to 2020 standards. Provide excellent customer service. That means don't ignore customers' calls, emails, texts. Don't screw over the loyal customers, and don't take advantage of new customers. Those are all very basic things, not as hard as flying to Mars.

Last edited:
And this, from 2006 no less, is supposed to make the owners of 2020 Tesla Model Y feel OK ?
What happened to Chevrolet back in 2006 has NO bearing on the crappy QC at Tesla.
People who wear the rose colored glasses supplied by Tesla usually come up with rebuttals like this, if it happens to another manufacturer, it's somehow defensible. Fact is, Tesla proudly proclaimed at the onset that it's a "disruptor", they don't care about what anybody else is doing, they have a very admirable mission, just do it the right way. Don't screw over the loyal customers, and take advantage of new customers.

Actually bringing up other auto manufacturers' crappy QC does give perspective to the People who wear the Poo colored glasses. The number of issues we've had with our Tesla are FAR fewer than the number and severity of issues we had with my BMWs, Corvettes (1 bought back by GM), and now our "DieselGate" Mercedes Sprinter 3500HD is one of 250,000 of MBZ's / $1.5 billion Bluetec diesel settlement Mercedes to Pay Penalties and Fix Cars Following Emissions Cheating Allegations

IMHO one Model Y roof supposedly flying off doesn't make Tesla QC crappyER than the other auto manufacturers... and our Tesla Model S P85D's QC was BETTER than any other 10+ cars I've owned. Yes Tesla can do better... but from our perspective their doing a great job considering how "disruptive" their cars have been.

I respect your opinion. Hopefully you can respect mine.

I don't doubt that this incident actually occurred, and that it is quite disturbing.... That said, as far as we know, this happened to one MY, so it kind of reminds me of the thread about the suspension nuts that was 'stickied' after it first appeared, then 'unstickied' when it seemed that there were only 2 cars noted that actually had the missing nuts, and perhaps another one with loose nuts. So it seems that the actual incidence of 'roofs flying off' - which is now getting major press everywhere - appears to be limited to one MY and not necessarily a trend or something we should all be hugely concerned about.

For me the issue is overall quality control assurances are put into doubt even more as issues like the missing control arm nuts and this unsecured glass roof panel are discovered. I have been considering a Tesla for a couple of years and very early this year decided to take the plunge and place an order for the MY.
But seeing the misaligned panels, the mismatched paint, the condition of many of the MYs being presented to buyers, and the "within spec" excuse to get out of fixing things, my excitement about buying and owning a Tesla are diminishing. Many of the flaws can be corrected, but it's the company culture that is turning me off and making me reconsider my purchase.

I get a feeling that the #1 goal at Tesla is to delivery as many cars as possible, quality be damned. And to me that means that I, as a customer, are not high on the priority list. I don't like that sense of feeling, and even if that is the same attitude all the legacy car makers have towards their customers, the issue is that it seems obvious to me that I don't matter to Tesla. Next buyer up!!!

To me it seems obvious that if they just slowed things down a bit then the panels could be aligned better, the paint could have a nice and even beautiful sheen, and they can have workers take a couple of minutes to wipe off all the greasy fingerprints off the car. Build fewer cars but have those cars be of higher quality. I'd like that, but if they didn't sell as many cars as they are now then Musk wouldn't have hit his goal of sustained profitability so that he could make his bonuses and get Tesla into the S&P (still waiting on that).

happy3powner is probably from the Vancouver BC area. YVR is the airport code for the Vancouver's airport.

Although the Vancouver BC and the surrounding area is a major metro area, Canada's overall population density is very low vs. the US. Canada's population is lower than California yet has a land area larger than the US.
Greater Vancouver is indeed very populated and has around 2.5 million people, the most populated city in Western Canada. Fun fact, 90% of the Canadian population live within 250kms of the US border (about 150 miles). Partly because of this, and Vancouver's nice weather (by Canadian standards) real estate prices might even dwarf most of the Bay Area, the average family home is now about $1.65 million USD or $2.2 mil CAD. Kind of amusing in a country with the 2nd largest land mass and only 36 mil people, but most of it is frankly uninhabitable unless you want to live off the grid and suffer brutal winters.

On the original topic, that is pretty bad quality control. But not surprising anymore. I hope they do end up sticking with Tesla (although I can't blame them if they don't). The car is fantastic, the "customer service" and rabid fanboys kind of dampen the experience, but it's a car that makes even nice gas cars like a Mercedes C63s seem outdated and clunky.

Officially confirmed
- Family from California
- Gave car back at Dublin, CA Tesla locationfew hours after taking delivery
- Tesla told them they will service the car
They told Tesla to keep it.

“On Monday, Walter Chien said that he spoke with a Tesla representative, who said that "everything was done correctly" when manufacturing the car. "To me, that was more concerning," Chien told Business Insider.”

Lol.....everything was done correctly in Manufacturing of this $60,000 car.

Tesla fan boys to defence now!!

'I looked up and the roof was gone': California family says they were driving their new Tesla Model Y home from the dealership when the roof blew clear off

A lot of these issues would be fixed easily if the service centers did the initial quality checks themselves instead of outsourcing it to the customers. There will always be minor issues, but some things are so blatant that they should not be delivered to the customer and should be address before delivery.

The issue with punting it to the customer and telling them "make an appointment to fix all the alignment / paint issues" creates a bottleneck at the service center for actual issues with the current cars. I thought I had a charging issue (multiple threads on this and seems to be a software bug) and the first appointment they set for me was 1.5 months out - I am sure it would have been much sooner if they were not handling all these initial quality issues that they keep pushing on the customers taking delivery.