Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Rack CRACK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:

1) insurance won't cover this! Learned a new term "negligent service" - that's what effing up your vehicle is called, not covered.

2) cracks have propogated all the way across from the passenger rear side to the driver front just from being parked out in the sun, pretty crazy.

3) got an estimate for the repair $1650, could be worse and I guess might be but will have to wait and see...

4) oh yeah, Tesla texted me to tell me today that my service scheduled for tomorrow is canceled bc parts won't have arrived in time. So, the paperweight on my driveway will continue to gather dust until the Tesla bot tells me otherwise...

Stay tuned!

Update:

1) insurance won't cover this! Learned a new term "negligent service" - that's what effing up your vehicle is called, not covered.

2) cracks have propogated all the way across from the passenger rear side to the driver front just from being parked out in the sun, pretty crazy.

3) got an estimate for the repair $1650, could be worse and I guess might be but will have to wait and see...

4) oh yeah, Tesla texted me to tell me today that my service scheduled for tomorrow is canceled bc parts won't have arrived in time. So, the paperweight on my driveway will continue to gather dust until the Tesla bot tells me otherwise...

Stay tuned!

Might be a trivial question but, is the fix, replacing the glass ? I was planning to mount a rooftop tent on this thing. Now I am scared to touch the fricking glass.

Might be a trivial question but, is the fix, replacing the glass ? I was planning to mount a rooftop tent on this thing. Now I am scared to touch the fricking glass.

Haha, yeah the glass is totally cracked - massive cracks running from passenger side rear to driver seat. Glass is definitely getting replaced. I got 3 out of 4 points installed with no problem so was almost lucky. I'm pretty sure it was a defective installation of the glass panel rather than my poor installation of the roof rack. Given the high incidence of quality issues most notably panel alignments, I would highly recommend getting tesla mobile service to install the rr ($60 according to someone else in this thread...).

Damn, I'm sorry to hear they won't cover it.

I'm trying to order a roof rack, and I'll definitely pay the $60 for them to install (rather than fixing it later for $1600).

I plan on removing them during the summer, but I hope that as long as the first install goes well, subsequent ones will be as well, assuming it is a manufacturing error on the glass top.

Total BS that the auto industry has not come up with a standard for attaching roof racks. I’ve owned both Yakima and Thule rack gear and every time I get a new car I have to get new adapters / screw around. Still have my 2005 Subaru Outback because the newer ones don’t have a good way to mount racks anymore. When my Model Y comes, I really don’t want to touch the glass. Not sure why they can’t have some covers that pop off revealing threaded steel holes that you can bolt into. Sorry for the rant.

This sounds just a tad scary - I would suspect there was a flaw in the underlying mount / glass binding.

I haven't ordered my MY yet (still trying to resolve MY vs MS, I'm coming from a BMW X3 and really want a similar cargo space which I think both the S and Y have).

I know the Seasucker mounts to the MS, has anyone tried it out on a MY? My need is for a pair of kayaks. Would it just pull the glass off at highway speeds?

Haha, yeah the glass is totally cracked - massive cracks running from passenger side rear to driver seat. Glass is definitely getting replaced. I got 3 out of 4 points installed with no problem so was almost lucky. I'm pretty sure it was a defective installation of the glass panel rather than my poor installation of the roof rack. Given the high incidence of quality issues most notably panel alignments, I would highly recommend getting tesla mobile service to install the rr ($60 according to someone else in this thread...).
Well, I truly appreciate your willingness to share this information, James. I already ordered the rack, but would not attempt installation myself now.

OK, here is the gripping finale to this saga!

Dropped the car off yesterday after a couple weeks' delay waiting for the glass to come in. In the afternoon, had a text exchange with the technician who was polite and cheerful: his initial diagnosis was that the crack was caused by overtightening as they checked the torque and it was greater than the 5nm recommended. But I pointed out that the crack appeared while I was finger-tightening, I only (over-)tightened the offending bolt after it had already cracked (i.e. just to stop the rack from coming off). Sensing that this might be heading to an unfair outcome, I asked to speak with the manager, the technician put me in touch and we agreed to speak in person once the repair had been completed. At the end of day one, the technician updated me to let me know that the new glass was on but they wanted to let it cure overnight before putting the rack back on, should be able to pick up at lunchtime. Next day at 11am I hadn't heard anything... at noon I got a text saying it was ready to pick-up and the manager would be ready to talk with me (tension mounts! pun intended). On my way down to pick it up I got a call from the technician; good news and bad news...!

Good news - they're gonna cover the replacement glass cost (i.e. no cost to me)! "Why?" I hear you ask! Turns out that a very astute colleague of the technician assigned to my repair noticed that while the front rack was correct, the rear rack had a slightly lower profile as it was in fact for a Model 3! So, attempting to install it cranked on it and easily broke the glass.

Bad news - they didn't have a replacement rack in stock so I'll have to go back early next week and have them install it while I wait (ha, I can live with this!)

So, there you go - if you have a rack in-hand I don't think there is an easy way to see if you have the right ones so I'd still recommend having Tesla do it.

Phew. :)

Wow, an incredible final twist. While I'm sure all the waiting and frustration sucked, I'm glad they ended up covering it!

Dropped the car off yesterday after a couple weeks' delay waiting for the glass to come in. In the afternoon, had a text exchange with the technician who was polite and cheerful: his initial diagnosis was that the crack was caused by overtightening as they checked the torque and it was greater than the 5nm recommended. But I pointed out that the crack appeared while I was finger-tightening, I only (over-)tightened the offending bolt after it had already cracked (i.e. just to stop the rack from coming off). Sensing that this might be heading to an unfair outcome, I asked to speak with the manager, the technician put me in touch and we agreed to speak in person once the repair had been completed. At the end of day one, the technician updated me to let me know that the new glass was on but they wanted to let it cure overnight before putting the rack back on, should be able to pick up at lunchtime. Next day at 11am I hadn't heard anything... at noon I got a text saying it was ready to pick-up and the manager would be ready to talk with me (tension mounts! pun intended). On my way down to pick it up I got a call from the technician; good news and bad news...!

Good news - they're gonna cover the replacement glass cost (i.e. no cost to me)! "Why?" I hear you ask! Turns out that a very astute colleague of the technician assigned to my repair noticed that while the front rack was correct, the rear rack had a slightly lower profile as it was in fact for a Model 3! So, attempting to install it cranked on it and easily broke the glass.

Bad news - they didn't have a replacement rack in stock so I'll have to go back early next week and have them install it while I wait (ha, I can live with this!)

So, there you go - if you have a rack in-hand I don't think there is an easy way to see if you have the right ones so I'd still recommend having Tesla do it.

This was a better ending than "You've Got Mail." Bravo!

Wow, awesome! Glad that they stepped up and admit fault. And, glad you saved $1600.

Reactions: slmitchell737

Awesome news. I just ordered MY roof rack and it is awaiting MY to be delivered. So will be installed at time of pickup!

Wow, are they that desperate to get cars out there they have to scavenge parts.

Damn, that's crazy but glad they figured out that they messed up big time, and it wasn't at all your fault.

In other weird news, I had a very old version of a Model 3 lip piece that holds your phone in place while on the charging pad. It was one of the very first versions. So insane that it ended up installed from the factory in my MY.