Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Rack CRACK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this thread convinced me to have Tesla come to my home to install the rack. I was quoted $58, which is in line with what others have posted. The tech said she had never installed one and had to watch a YouTube video, which didn't inspire the greatest confidence, but at least it's now installed and hopefully with not crack the roof the first time I use it with a cargo box on the freeway.

Btw, Tesla installed the rack (for free) and I've been using it without further issue.

What will you carry on top? Kayaks & lumber IIRC?

I've got Yakima racks on my 2000 VW Golf and 2008 Mazda5 - but I'm super nervous about the glass roof on the ModelY.
To potentially avoid this... I already purchased a Yakima SwingDaddy hitch bike attachment and the HitchSki so I can now carry bikes on the hitch and/or skis on the hitch... but I'd still prefer to put those items ontop - cause then I can also carry lumber etc.

OK, here is the gripping finale to this saga!

Good news - they're gonna cover the replacement glass cost (i.e. no cost to me)! "Why?" I hear you ask! Turns out that a very astute colleague of the technician assigned to my repair noticed that while the front rack was correct, the rear rack had a slightly lower profile as it was in fact for a Model 3! So, attempting to install it cranked on it and easily broke the glass.

Unfortunately I just had this happen to my Y, on the rear cross bar as well. I bought the rack back in July, so I'm wondering if I've got the same issue (wrong landing pads). By any chance do you have a photo of the wrong pad or a part number?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a roof rack. Lots of big snow trips this winter (hopefully) and I'm worried about taking up too much room with my gear and not having enough for the dog.

Crossing fingers the roof won't crack. I'm going to be paying the SC to install.

Just had the service center install my roof racks. The techs and stuff say it's on correctly, no problem. I don't have the same gap between the rubber and glass as I've seen others have it, is that to be concerned about? When I push my finger against the rubber to see how firmly pressed, the rubber moves easily so that it doesn't look like there's any pressure on the glass.

Anyone else?

I'll take a photo tomorrow, but there is zero space and the rubber is touching, though slightly.

I just ordered the roof rack 2 weeks ago and just got it installed, so it could be slightly different now?

4A3F7D9B-AD9C-483F-B73A-BA0BDB7C240C.jpeg
1E47E4E2-538C-472A-BE49-A7E59ECDCBCD.jpeg

How does this look? This was installed by the service center.

I had mobile service come, the person who put it on spent extra cycles making sure they lined up with the small markings and they have no gap.

He did say I was the first person he did it for, but knew people are having service do it because of the potential glass roof cracking

I don't have mine yet (will have it installed upon delivery), but in another thread someone posted a photo showing a gap between the pad and the glass (which mobile service said should be there): Anyone with a Tesla roof rack...I need some help!

Yeah, I've been looking at mine and the angle looks a little different than the photo posted. The photo posted, however, is so dark it's hard to compare.

The rubber parts are barely touching the glass, such that I can push on it and it wiggles freely over the glass area. When pushing down with a little force, the rubber is still fairly loose. I don't think any substantial weight is going onto the glass, so I'm crossing my fingers it's OK.

OK, here is the gripping finale to this saga!

Dropped the car off yesterday after a couple weeks' delay waiting for the glass to come in. In the afternoon, had a text exchange with the technician who was polite and cheerful: his initial diagnosis was that the crack was caused by overtightening as they checked the torque and it was greater than the 5nm recommended. But I pointed out that the crack appeared while I was finger-tightening, I only (over-)tightened the offending bolt after it had already cracked (i.e. just to stop the rack from coming off). Sensing that this might be heading to an unfair outcome, I asked to speak with the manager, the technician put me in touch and we agreed to speak in person once the repair had been completed. At the end of day one, the technician updated me to let me know that the new glass was on but they wanted to let it cure overnight before putting the rack back on, should be able to pick up at lunchtime. Next day at 11am I hadn't heard anything... at noon I got a text saying it was ready to pick-up and the manager would be ready to talk with me (tension mounts! pun intended). On my way down to pick it up I got a call from the technician; good news and bad news...!

Good news - they're gonna cover the replacement glass cost (i.e. no cost to me)! "Why?" I hear you ask! Turns out that a very astute colleague of the technician assigned to my repair noticed that while the front rack was correct, the rear rack had a slightly lower profile as it was in fact for a Model 3! So, attempting to install it cranked on it and easily broke the glass.

Bad news - they didn't have a replacement rack in stock so I'll have to go back early next week and have them install it while I wait (ha, I can live with this!)

So, there you go - if you have a rack in-hand I don't think there is an easy way to see if you have the right ones so I'd still recommend having Tesla do it.

Phew. :)
Hi,
Thanks for posting your experience. In this case once you have Tesla installed the roof racks, I assume you don’t take them down often? I ask this because typically roof racks should be taken down during car wash in case of roof damage. Or it doesn’t sound smart to have Tesla install them back every time after car wash lol.

Hi,
Thanks for posting your experience. In this case once you have Tesla installed the roof racks, I assume you don’t take them down often? I ask this because typically roof racks should be taken down during car wash in case of roof damage. Or it doesn’t sound smart to have Tesla install them back every time after car wash lol.
Hey Oscar24390
Yeah i haven't touched them since installed, i use a no touch laser drive through car wash so no problems.
James

Given OEM TESLA roof racks Crack Glass, I would never want to DIY. I would pay to have Tesla service do it and let them take the hit if they crack it.

That said, I wouldn't want a roof rack on a car with a glass roof anyway. One could have loading mishaps --> cracked roof.

And if you have a loading mishap with a metal roof you have a dented roof. It takes more impact to crack the glass than to dent a typical metal roof.

I always install my roof rack on my Model 3 myself. I'll never crack the glass because I put my head at roof level as I tighten the mounting bolts. No part of the rack should ever touch the roof glass. If it does, stop! You won't break the roof glass if you watch as you tighten and stop before anything touches the glass. It's not difficult to do it properly.