Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Rack CRACK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a used MY rack. Install is simple, removal is also simple, but I was a bit surprised at the wind noise at 60-70mph. I’ve got Yakima’s on my other two vehicles (with fairings) but these aero bars seem noisier than antiquated Yakima round bars.

I'm curious to know if the roof racks have held up with a long-term record? I would love to get a Thule Motion XT XL for my Model Y LR, but a part of me will always fear that putting the cargo box on/off, hitting the wrong pot hole, or other leads to a big costly repair. I know I'm being overly nervous but it would be great to know that someone has has a good long term experience using their roof racks in the way they're intended to be used.

I'm curious to know if the roof racks have held up with a long-term record? I would love to get a Thule Motion XT XL for my Model Y LR, but a part of me will always fear that putting the cargo box on/off, hitting the wrong pot hole, or other leads to a big costly repair. I know I'm being overly nervous but it would be great to know that someone has has a good long term experience using their roof racks in the way they're intended to be used.
I've had a Tesla rack on my Y for over a year. Not that I carry much. But haven't seen much efficiency loss with just the rack. the rack helps set my Y apart from 'the others' a little. I was expecting to use with with my Thule - but the bar spread on the Tesla was just a bit more than the Thule box can handle...

Reactions: imola.zhp
I just my roof rack all the time. Lumber. Bikes. Cargo boxes… the rack also goes on and off all the time as I’m particular.

If you’ve owned roof racks before - there is no difference. The glass roof makes me more cautious - but no issues so far w removal or instal.

Agreed, keep them on all the time, enjoy them.. no major range hit, just be a bit more cautious of the glass roof

View attachment 618115 View attachment 618114

How does this look? This was installed by the service center.
did anyone ever answer this? @StealthP3D seems to have confidence in installing does this look right?

i ask because this is how mine looks and ive taken it on and off about 5 times now and its always slightly touching i can't get the pads off of the glass all the way because the bars just don't reach.. wondering if my bars are out of tolerance or maybe even the wrong ones (M3 instead of MY??)

i haven't put more than snowboards on mine but about to move into bike season and getting nervous