Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y roof rack - replacement end caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla online orders got back to me and are sending a replacement.

Thanks all for the help.
Do you know how I can get a hold of them? I had a service appointment for something else, and I inquired about getting replacement end caps for my Model 3. They said Tesla only carries whole new roof racks and not the end caps. I need new ones for the rear. The only other option I've seen is ebay ones from China that take 30 days to get here.

I am looking for a replacement end cap as well. Does anyone know if the Model 3 end caps are the same size as the Model Y end caps? I know that the cross bars are different but I do not know if the end caps are. There seems to be replacement options for the Model 3 roof rack end caps on eBay and the like. I haven't called my local Tesla Service Center yet as the need for one is new as of a few hours ago.

I am looking for a replacement end cap as well. Does anyone know if the Model 3 end caps are the same size as the Model Y end caps? I know that the cross bars are different but I do not know if the end caps are. There seems to be replacement options for the Model 3 roof rack end caps on eBay and the like. I haven't called my local Tesla Service Center yet as the need for one is new as of a few hours ago.
I purchased some from ebay last summer and they worked fine. I used them while I was waiting for the service center to get replacement caps in, which eventually did arrive. Regardless, the ebay ones worked fine - they even had the same number etched in on the underside, and were virtually identical as far as I could tell.

Speaking of MY roof rack end plates....how is the fitment for others?....my 4 corners are so variable on how the cap fits. I can't get all of them to sit flush. One or two fit nice (good panel gap...LOL) but the other two or three just don't sit flush. And they differ in which area they aren't flush.

Hi I realize it has been awhile since you ordered this item from eBay, if you happen to have link for store that would be great. As other stores have been selling wrong size end caps for model y roof rack. Thanks
The ones I bought were from this seller:

From my experience, we've only had them pop off when a loaded cargo box is on the roof.

As a precaution, I wrapped black electric tape around my on the sides closest to the center of the roof. You can't even tell unless you look super close. I haven't had an issue since then.

Reactions: SamY_MYLR
Do you know how I can get a hold of them? I had a service appointment for something else, and I inquired about getting replacement end caps for my Model 3. They said Tesla only carries whole new roof racks and not the end caps. I need new ones for the rear. The only other option I've seen is ebay ones from China that take 30 days to get here.
Just wondering if you can let us know how to get in touch with Tesla. I have to return 2 separate orders from eBay because they do not fit. Thank you

FYI, to complete info here for Model Y - roof rack end caps, these are the specific part numbers for replacement end covers/caps that may be ordered via Tesla Service. I sent in request with specific part number that I needed in description for Service Appt via app and they were able to fulfill my order for pickup on my appt.

Model Y end cap part numbers:
1518243-00-B MY ROOF RACK, FRONT LH, COVER
1518249-00-B MY ROOF RACK, REAR LH, COVER
1518242-00-B MY ROOF RACK, FRONT RH, COVER
1518250-00-B MY ROOF RACK, REAR RH, COVER

(Note, I ordered end cover previously from one of the generic Model Y OEM versions as seen on eBay, Aliexpress, etc and was not successful with that)

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
FYI, to complete info here for Model Y - roof rack end caps, these are the specific part numbers for replacement end covers/caps that may be ordered via Tesla Service. I sent in request with specific part number that I needed in description for Service Appt via app and they were able to fulfill my order for pickup on my appt.

Model Y end cap part numbers:
1518243-00-B MY ROOF RACK, FRONT LH, COVER
1518249-00-B MY ROOF RACK, REAR LH, COVER
1518242-00-B MY ROOF RACK, FRONT RH, COVER
1518250-00-B MY ROOF RACK, REAR RH, COVER

(Note, I ordered end cover previously from one of the generic Model Y OEM versions as seen on eBay, Aliexpress, etc and was not successful with that)
how much were each part? lost my back left roof rack cover unfortunately

Each piece was $6/unit.

Note they snap right in. I have not found a way to pull these off with out breaking the "T" shaped piece. I used a trim removal tool but have been pulling it off at angle versus
IMG_20230519_115209~2.jpg
straight. Ugh. I gotta take off the rack to have service department replace roof glass.
IMG_20230807_201001.jpg

Broke based on freeway rock on my first road trip...this was on I15 big sky Montana driving from Glacier to Yellowstone.

I figured out a way to remove these end caps that seems to reliably save the tabs.

It's a bit difficult to get a good hold on it. On the front ones, I was able to insert the tip of my finger into the T-slot and pull towards me (not up). With the rear, I couldn't get enough grip with my fingertip, so I used a hook-style tool I have on my keychain, it's similar to a hook-style bottle opener.

The key detail is that you must never pull or pry upward. You have to pull directly inline with the crossbar, away from it, and effectively curve downward a little bit as the piece comes off.

Here's a video, unfortunately you can't really see what I'm doing b/c my hands cover it. But you can see the direction I'm pulling.