Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Rack Whistling Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed my Tesla Roof Rack on my 2021 MY 7 seater. As luck would have it immediately after installing it I drove to work and a huge rock hit my windshield resulting in a hole, I heard a whistling noise at ~40 - 60mph which I attributed to the damaged windshield. Got the hole repaired under insurance by Safelite and still hear the whistling noise between ~40mph and 60mph (albeit less noise and no air blowing in lol). I pick up my Christmas Tree Friday so will take off the rack after.

Anyone else getting a whistling noise at these speeds from the roof rack? Was hoping to keep it on but not with this sound. Easy enough to remove/install as needed, but prefer not to.

Really hoping the sound will be gone after taking roof rack on and isn't a result of the windshield damage (although repaired).

Last edited:
My MY 7 seater had the OEM roof rack installed at delivery in March this year. After almost 17,000 miles with it, mostly highways, I have not noticed any whistling. Keep in mind I've never driven my car without it, so my normal wind noise may be different from someone used to a car without the crossbars.

Yes... mine whistles around the same speed. Noticed it right away. Would love to hear if there's a life hack for that. I don't have ski racks on the OEM racks yet, but I'd think the whistle is the space between the glass roof and bottom of the OEM rack so may not matter.

I wonder if 3rd party roof racks don't whistle.... perhaps if they were a 1/2" taller or shorter.

Sorry--- it's not possible for those who say theirs doesn't whistle on the exact same car, unless the racks vary by when they are made. Yes it's possible people don't notice it or drive regularly at different speeds. Going from no rack to a rack -- we noticed right away.

This pretty much eliminated the wind noise I was getting, looks like it didn't for everyone, but is cheap and worth a try. You have to cut them to size and I removed the rubber gap filler to put these in.

Also I have this, tried it first and still had wind noise before the rhino vortex strips

Reactions: Walter Jacob
Tried to post something about this earlier but the awesome admins rejected it, so I'll post here! Hopefully they allow it, because it was frustrating and took a bit to figure out!

I too put on a set of bars and had a really annoying whistling noise, ad found a nice solution. Mine were not the Tesla bars, but were pretty much identical looking and fit really well. Got them on eBay and they were like $195 vs $500. But when the whistle started, I was paying more attention to other SUVs and cars in our area with bars. I noticed the plethora of Volvo, Audi, Land Rover, etc., all had factory bars with rubber grooves. So I looked at my bars and the thin strip was smooth and the Tesla one had the ridges.

Unlike the other brands, the Tesla factory bars rubber strip with the ridges is very small and recessed, and the others or Thule bars have these rubber grooves much higher and more pronounced. I googled to see if I could find something to add to mine and found a nice solution on Amazon. You simply stick on, cut to size and then heat it really well with a hairdryer. Per the instructions, I also pulled up the rubber ends off the 3M adhesive strip and used a tiny bit of glue to secure the cut ends I cut onto the adhesive strip. All in all pretty easy and they are eon there very well now.

The whistle is totally gone and the wind noise is reduced during driving. An added bonus is that things stay in place much better and don't get marred up on the bars. I really like these and it doesn't look tacky like some solutions I saw online, like wrapping your bars in rope, etc. There is a video I found on youtube where a guy has this whistle and he puts rope around it. Worked well too and looked pretty terrible.

I got these here: Amazon.com

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_4428.jpeg
    IMG_4428.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 366