Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one who thinks the MY looks a lot better with a roof rack? I want to get one every time I see a MY with a rack, but don’t know if I can get myself to fork up $450 for something I will have no use for.
Not only is the frequency of use a question, there are a few horror stories on the forum about breaking the roof glass from those who tried to DIY it. to be void of any ooopsies, it will cost you a lot more than $450 for the racks because you will need to have Tesla SC install it. Provided it only takes an hour, that's another $125 plus the cost of the rack.

CA8CC60D-3AD8-4237-9305-3F8B13192B5D.jpeg
I think it looks better and Tesla installed the rack for free, so that may not be an issue anymore. I had them do it as an extra precaution, but the
CA8CC60D-3AD8-4237-9305-3F8B13192B5D.jpeg
59B1E337-D7AA-43C6-B9FB-AA82C8796CE2.jpeg
technician said all people needed to do was hand tighten the anchors and ignore the torque wrench comments, and it worked fine.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
Am I the only one who thinks the MY looks a lot better with a roof rack? I want to get one every time I see a MY with a rack, but don’t know if I can get myself to fork up $450 for something I will have no use for.
I have the cross bars and also think the car looks better with them. However, keep in mind that it will spoil the great view through the panoramic glass roof.

On the other hand, I get a lot of use out of my rack, and you might actually find it useful.

Attachments

• 2D98D12A-C3CD-442A-9C66-A94196B5E77E.jpeg
    2D98D12A-C3CD-442A-9C66-A94196B5E77E.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 1,193
Last edited:
I am curious, if you folks hear a lot of wind/turbulence noise from the roof rack at highway speeds? I had to install a Thule fairing on my old car to silence the noise it generated...
I don’t think the wind noise from the crossbars is noticeable at highway speeds, because the MY already gets a lot of wind and tire noise. No loud whistling at all. Whatever I put on the crossbars - roof basket, bikes, surfboard, ski rack - create a lot of wind noise, though. And I swear I can hear the battery draining, “”phzzzz . . .” :D

I am curious, if you folks hear a lot of wind/turbulence noise from the roof rack at highway speeds? I had to install a Thule fairing on my old car to silence the noise it generated...
I recently had Tesla mobile service install mine ($63.40) and have not noticed any more noise than before, though I was listening to the radio. I assume this will change when I carry my canoe or kayak.

I want/need a rack for the MYP. I have Yakima racks in two other cars.

I like to take racks on and off depending on the seasons. The Yakima racks in my Mazda5 & VW Golf TDI are 10min on and off as well.

I’m nervous about the Tesla rack... too many forum posts about cracked roof glass.

I’m considering a seasucker monkey bar set up as I can pop it on and off quickly - and it appears storage is quite compact.

I have the Tesla roof rack for my Model 3 and I don't notice any noise from it at highway speeds. As others have said, once you're at highway speeds you're going to hear wind and road noise anyway. Now, if you have bike trays on it and especially bikes or other items on top, you'll definitely hear it then! But still not horrible.

I now have a Model Y on order and apparently the racks are different between the cars, which is unfortunate. So, will sell the Model 3 rack and may pick up a rack for the Y. I bought the factory hitch for the Y and a 1UP bike rack, as I prefer hitch mounted racks. Less fear of bikes flying off on the highway, no obstructed view out the glass roof, keeps dirt off your car (I mainly haul mountain bikes), and less risk of damaging your roof (on a non-Tesla years ago, I slipped when putting a bike on the roof of my car and my pedal hit the roof, putting a nice ding in it!)

I'm using two Yakima HighRoads with my 3 and they work great!

HighRoad

Reactions: srjinatl
I have had a rack on my model 3 for a while now - no real obvious drop in range with just the rack - and no real increase in noise either that I can tell. I have only hand washed my car - and frankly would be more worried about damage to the paint surface vs the rack in your typical car wash - these things are pretty sturdy. And in terms of installation - the key is to make sure you are installing where the metal clips are under the glass so that the rack is tightened against those and not the glass. At least that is what I had to do on the model 3.

Not only is the frequency of use a question, there are a few horror stories on the forum about breaking the roof glass from those who tried to DIY it. to be void of any ooopsies, it will cost you a lot more than $450 for the racks because you will need to have Tesla SC install it. Provided it only takes an hour, that's another $125 plus the cost of the rack.
$58.50 for the mobile tech to install.

• Informative
Reactions: N1L CO2
I too was concerned about doing this as a self install based on what I read here but ended up taking the plunge. It’s a very simple process. I could take it on and off in less than 10 min now.There are grooves and markers that indicate if you’re in the correct spot built into the glass (didn’t know that prior to install). Just make sure to get a small torque wrench to prevent over tightening which appears to be the primary culprit for the glass cracking. I believe the other scenario was the installer incorrectly put the rear bar on the front which didn’t fit correctly and proceeded to tighten and caused the glass to crack.

Attachments

• B5147245-1D3D-4129-8240-89D4D811DEBA.jpeg
    B5147245-1D3D-4129-8240-89D4D811DEBA.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 885
Just make sure to get a small torque wrench to prevent over tightening which appears to be the primary culprit for the glass cracking. I believe the other scenario was the installer incorrectly put the rear bar on the front which didn’t fit correctly and proceeded to tighten and caused the glass to crack.
Over-torquing can cause problems but there's a significant difference in length of the cross bars - impossible to get them wrong.

Over-torquing can cause problems but there's a significant difference in length of the cross bars - impossible to get them wrong.
I think one of the stories where I heard that the glass cracked was due to Tesla shipping them the model 3 rear bar instead of the model y.

I also got the roof rack mainly for looks, but after traveling to the mountains recently, will look into future snowboard mounts and bike mounts.
IMG_0278.jpg
Tesla Big Bear 1.jpg
Tesla Big Bear 2.jpg

Reactions: Noflash